TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Open notes/open books
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Open notes/open books

post #1 of 18
Thread Starter 
Maybe I'm really outdated on this.

My students are took their midterm exam. I told them I would allow notes and the use of the book. Even on the study guide I stated open book/open notes

Tonight 5 of them began to use the web, the software, and blackboard (the only class resource).

What does open book/open notes mean to you?

Oh and by the way I threatened anyone else doing what the 5 did a big fat ole "F"
post #2 of 18
Your students are stubborn!
post #3 of 18
Open book/open notes means just that. Notes and TEXTBOOK ONLY! Nothing else. No if's, and's or but's. I think you should give them an F for not following directions.
post #4 of 18
Wow. I guess people like to test the limits, huh?

To me, open book certainly doesn't mean access to the internet! Then there wouldn't be anything keeping students from messaging each other the answers
post #5 of 18
How did your students use all that stuff during the test??

Laptops and online discussion boards for classes were in their infancy when I was leaving college. They seem to have become more mainstream since I left.
post #6 of 18
Thread Starter 
I have a little piece of software install on the teachers station. This allows me to view all the students computers in real time.

Basically at first I saw one or two, so I just shut them down (while they were looking for the answer). Once I began to see the trend, I made the announcement.

Looks like the final will be closed book...err...everything.
post #7 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunasmom View Post
I have a little piece of software install on the teachers station. This allows me to view all the students computers in real time.

Basically at first I saw one or two, so I just shut them down (while they were looking for the answer). Once I began to see the trend, I made the announcement.

Looks like the final will be closed book...err...everything.
So all your students have computers at their desks?
post #8 of 18
Thread Starter 
yup...it's a computer class...well web design class.
post #9 of 18
I wish we ever had an open book test!
post #10 of 18
Did they think that open-note open-book meant they could use the internet? If not, then they get a big fat F and possibly a referral for cheating...

I think you're being too nice to them. From the pov of another student in the class who wasn't cheating, I would be super TO'd that the cheaters weren't being punished properly. People who cheat do not belong in school.
post #11 of 18
hmm, i would think that would mean, i could use any resource i wanted to use.
unless you stated books and notes only.
post #12 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by theimp98 View Post
hmm, i would think that would mean, i could use any resource i wanted to use.
unless you stated books and notes only.
That's what I would think, too. Open-book tests were hard.
post #13 of 18
My prof's always state "open notes & books only...nothing else". Every once in awhile you get a student who doesn't quite grasp what open note/book means.
post #14 of 18
How is it a test if you're allowed to have notes in front of you?
post #15 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zissou'sMom View Post
Did they think that open-note open-book meant they could use the internet? If not, then they get a big fat F and possibly a referral for cheating...

I think you're being too nice to them. From the pov of another student in the class who wasn't cheating, I would be super TO'd that the cheaters weren't being punished properly. People who cheat do not belong in school.
The college I'm teaching at is a community college. We're less likely to refer them...just give them a big fat F.

ehh...they're getting their due. Once we get back from break I'm announcing the final exam will be closed everything. Computers will be shut down, nothing on the desk except pencil, scantron and test sheets. Everything else will be placed under the desk.

I may reconsider if the 5 students that I caught are willing to get up in front of the class and state what they did, why they did it, and any other questions I can come up with...again though I'm only considering this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theimp98 View Post
hmm, i would think that would mean, i could use any resource i wanted to use.
unless you stated books and notes only.
Oooooo....I guess the only was the part I missed. Silly me!
post #16 of 18
Well, I guess I have two takes on this. In college I had a professor that would pass out a test and say that he wanted a three page paper written for each question (there were 10) and he wanted it back in a week. We would split up the work and share answers in our study group.

Open note/book would mean to me that you can use class only notes and the text book. The internet doesn't fit into that equation at all.
post #17 of 18
Open book and notes means note you took or the text book. As far as I know the internet isn't notes I took or a text book.
post #18 of 18
They would probably say they typed their notes and were looking at them from theit emails
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Open notes/open books