Chicken Pox... Ugg!

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My 9yr old son just came home from visiting with my mom for a few hours.
He has a bunch of bumps all over his stomach, back and shoulders.. Maybe 20?
He's had the Vaccination for Chicken Pox but I've heard they can still get a mild case of it... Does anyone know?

I'm taking him to the doctor tomorrow morning but I'm anxious and didn't know if any of you would know.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure what vaccines I had back in the early 70s, it would have been whatever was recommended back then, but I did get chicken pox. I remember being so itchy and ill. Although I have to say that having scarlet fever was worse from what I remember.

I have no advice but want to say I hope he feels better soon.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would say maybe an allergy to something.Not sure though.Good luck and let us know what it is!!!

snosrap5

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They say you can get them even with the vaccine but a very mild case.

I don't know if you have ever seen them so I found a picture for you. They really look like blisters. They start in the warm areas on the body. I have three boys and all three caught chicken pox. It started on the belly, back and under arms and spread from there.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by snosrap5

They say you can get them even with the vaccine but a very mild case.

I don't know if you have ever seen them so I found a picture for you. They really look like blisters. They start in the warm areas on the body. I have three boys and all three caught chicken pox. It started on the belly, back and under arms and spread from there.
He has them on his back, stomach and his shoulders...

They look like they've already popped though

snosrap5

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How long has he been at your mothers? Normally it takes a week for them to pop and then they itch so BAD. My boys were trying to dig to the bone it seemed like.

kittiesx2

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
All three of my kids were vaccinated for Chicken Pox and 2 of them still had a mild case of Pox. My daughter who's 8 also had shingles which are caused by the same thing as Chicken Pox

As odd as it sounds white vinegar dabbed on the spots can help the itching, smells awful though

I hope that he feels better soon!

shorty14788

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The vaccine isn't always a sure thing. Some peoples bodies dont maintain the immunity as well as they should.
You know how they say you only get chickenpox once? Thats a load of .... ! An uncle of mine has had them 5 times!
GOOD LUCK!!! For his sake, I hope it isn't chickenpox.

ollyextra05

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it is chickenpox, better he get them now than as an adult.

Could be chickenpox but could be an allergic reaction: maybe he's allergic to the detergent your mom used to wash his sheets/towels?

Let us know what the Dr. says!

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by snosrap5

How long has he been at your mothers? Normally it takes a week for them to pop and then they itch so BAD. My boys were trying to dig to the bone it seemed like.
He was there for about 3 hours... but according to my ex husband (his dad) he had it at his house last night too

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This may be a stupid question, but do they itch? (I didn't see anywhere if you said they did.) Chicken pox itches like mad- more than even hives, to me
. Btw, 2 of our nephews had chicken pox after the vaccine, at about the same age- one of them had it really bad, in his mouth and throat, even.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's not really something that just pops up overnight, it's can take a couple of weeks so it's likely he picked it up at school or from a friend days ago. Did you ask him if anyone else has been sick lately?

I had a slight case of it when I was 14, I only had half a dozen bumps and they really didn't itch that bad. However I did get a bunch in my throat.
I was told I could very likely get it again as an adult.

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catsallover

This may be a stupid question, but do they itch? (I didn't see anywhere if you said they did.) Chicken pox itches like mad- more than even hives, to me
. Btw, 2 of our nephews had chicken pox after the vaccine, at about the same age- one of them had it really bad, in his mouth and throat, even.
Oh yeah.. he's scratching like crazy... He's FINALLY asleep now.. I put calamine lotion on them.
Originally Posted by strange_wings

It's not really something that just pops up overnight, it's can take a couple of weeks so it's likely he picked it up at school or from a friend days ago. Did you ask him if anyone else has been sick lately?

I had a slight case of it when I was 14, I only had half a dozen bumps and they really didn't itch that bad. However I did get a bunch in my throat.
I was told I could very likely get it again as an adult.
I don't think it popped up over night but I can't remember if he ran a fever withen the last week or so

I thought about the detergent but mom says she didn't wash his clothes while he was there.. his dad said he hasn't changed detergents, I know I havent either...

He's going to the Dr first thing tomorrow... wether it's chicken pox or a rash, it needs to be looked at

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am thinking it could be just a rash or something.

Both of my kids had them when they were younger, and it seemed like every time I looked at my kids, there were more chicken poxes.

xxtashaxx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
none of my kids have been vaccinated aginst chicken pox?? i never knew there was 1?
they have there mmr and everything else , but never that one? i will have to ask the docs next time i there.
my girls have had chicken pox and it was a night mare poor things, im still waiting on my son to catch them , not looking foward to that.
hope your son is feeling better soon

sneakymom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hope your son's feeling better soon.

My youngest dd got them last year. The 3rd grade had a BAD outbreak of them. 12 kids in 1 class, 2 in dd's class. She was out of school for a week. And yes, she had the shot when she was a baby.

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I found out what it is and it's almost embarrassing to admit.. Him and about 9 other kids in his class have the same thing... It's Scabies

They gave us a pyrethrin based cream to apply from head to toe. No one else in the house has it (thank god) and they said they think we caught it early enough to where we shouldn't either.
It's so embarrassing!

I just told people he has a rash... I thought only "dirty people" or people who had poor hygiene caught them.

I have washed EVERYTHING in thier room today.. and Lysoled it also.

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dixie_Darlin

Well, I found out what it is and it's almost embarrassing to admit.. Him and about 9 other kids in his class have the same thing... It's Scabies

They gave us a pyrethrin based cream to apply from head to toe. No one else in the house has it (thank god) and they said they think we caught it early enough to where we shouldn't either.
It's so embarrassing!

I just told people he has a rash... I thought only "dirty people" or people who had poor hygiene caught them.

I have washed EVERYTHING in thier room today.. and Lysoled it also.
I am glad that you found out what it was, don't worry I won't tell anyone.

ericanicole

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh dont feel bad!
hes a kid..and he's in school...there ya go! that opens him up to anything. My niece got ringworm at daycare... and when dan was in high school somone had herpes and they were on the wrestling team, he had an open sore and it got on the wrestling mat which then was picked up by 1/2 the team...Im talking like sores covering 1/3 of their faces....imagine how all those kids and parents felt.
sooooo...
yeah its not that bad.
Oh and thank heaven the rest of your family didnt get it, thats always the pitts.

take care!