Losing Weight

megmar6853

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a kitten who is eight weeks old. I have had him since he was born. He seemed to be thriving until about five days ago. He has suddenly lost alot of weight. He is practically a skeleton. He still nurses and drinks some water but, I cannot persuade him to eat dry or wet food. Does anyone know what could be wrong with him? He also has crusty eyes.

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would say it is most certainly time to have a vet look at him. It could be a URI with those crusty eyes and if he can't smell, he won't eat. How is his elimination? Is he pooping and peeing normally? What about his activity levels? Is he engaging in play behavior at all?

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please get him to a vet as soon as possible, it sounds as if he is off his food because he is unwell. Kittens of that age can go downhill so quickly, especially if they aren't eating. Also at this point if he's not eating you don't want to be trying to 'persuade' him to eat, you need to be making a liquid mix high in nutrients (KMR - a mother cat's milk replacement forumla, or human chicken-based baby food with no onions or garlic) to force-feed him - using a syringe to drop food across his tongue.

I hope he's going to be OK, good luck.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They're right, there's no time to waste. I wouldn't even call for an appointment -- I'd just show up with him at the vet first thing in the morning. Even if the vet himself isn't immediately available, a technician can get some subcutaneous fluids into the poor little guy right away. Good luck!

xxtashaxx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
hi was just wondering how the kitten is doing ? did you take him to the vets?

momof3rugratz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by megmar6853

I have a kitten who is eight weeks old. I have had him since he was born. He seemed to be thriving until about five days ago. He has suddenly lost alot of weight. He is practically a skeleton. He still nurses and drinks some water but, I cannot persuade him to eat dry or wet food. Does anyone know what could be wrong with him? He also has crusty eyes.
I also recommend the vet. Please give us an update. at 8 weeks he should be on at least what I call Slop. I would take KMR and put a little food at a time in it and every other day make it thicker till the kitten goes o ok this isn't so bad. Also the KMR will give extra calories.

The eye crust should be taken care of and seen by a vet. What does the kittens stools look like. Any thing resembling rice or tape worms.