Anyone have any "easy on the intestines" food recommendations?

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I need to find something for Ferris that is better than the crap the vet recommends. They told me to give him Eukanuba Veterinary Diet (can only get at the vet, $20 for 5.5 pounds) "Low-Residue Adult."

It's mostly corn meal and corn grits, but the #1 ingredient is Chicken By-Product Meal. I can return the bag to them if the cats won't eat it. But I really don't want to give it to them. IAMS is way down on my list anyway, and NOT because of any myths or propaganda regarding animal testing. Just because I think it is VERY low quality.

Can any of you recommend anything that will be easily digestable and help get Ferris' poops solid again?

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

I need to find something for Ferris that is better than the crap the vet recommends. They told me to give him Eukanuba Veterinary Diet (can only get at the vet, $20 for 5.5 pounds) "Low-Residue Adult."
Holy smokes...that food doesn't leave much residue in your wallet, either...does it?!?!?!

Sorry I don't have a suggestion, I was just in disbelief on the price, considering the ingredients.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm trying to think of a food that is sensitive systems. Otherwise my only other suggestion is to feed a really simple food, like California Natural. You are feeding probiotics, correct?

anakat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it is temporary to help him get over his upset stomach plain boiled chicken and rice is good, but it doesn't contain everything they need long term., but might help while you look at the different options.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
i don't know about 'sensitive stomach' formulas, but all of these claim to have pro-biotics included to help prevent diarrhea & promote intestinal health. a couple also have beet pulp, which they claim also helps. i've linked to their ingredient lists [available at premium foods online]
Eagle Pack
Felidae
Life's Abundance
Newman's Own Organics
Sensible Choice
these are the dry formulas, but most also offer wet choices. i didn't know which you were looking for.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

I'm trying to think of a food that is sensitive systems. Otherwise my only other suggestion is to feed a really simple food, like California Natural. You are feeding probiotics, correct?
Yes, 1 gram of Bene Bac every other day. I'm going to continue that, vet said please do, it can't harm him and can only help him.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

i don't know about 'sensitive stomach' formulas, but all of these claim to have pro-biotics included to help prevent diarrhea & promote intestinal health. a couple also have beet pulp, which they claim also helps. i've linked to their ingredient lists [available at premium foods online]
Eagle Pack
Felidae
Life's Abundance
Newman's Own Organics
Sensible Choice
these are the dry formulas, but most also offer wet choices. i didn't know which you were looking for.
Both, and thank you!

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Anakat

If it is temporary to help him get over his upset stomach plain boiled chicken and rice is good, but it doesn't contain everything they need long term., but might help while you look at the different options.
I don't cook for humans, nevermind cats.
I'm a terrible cook, and I hate, hate HATE doing cooking prep! That's what other people are for!

But thank you, though!

Oh, by the way, there has been no vomiting whatsoever, so it's just a poop problem.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Nutro natural choice (NOT INDOOR)...

Cal natural the chn ( fish is harder to digest)

AVOID lamb fish duck for bases

chicken is likely the best base (meat ) and rice ( oatmeal is also good)

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Luna has a sensitive stomach and the vet placed her on Eukanuba's sensitive stomach formula. There's a Vet version for $20 or the store bought for $15.

At the time, our vet had recommended either that or putting Luna on an all wet food diet.

swooshfinn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My Vet recommends a easy emergency diet of cooked white rice and cottage cheese (bland, white-colored foods) if I run into diarrhea issues. 50-50 mix, of course.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by swooshfinn

My Vet recommends a easy emergency diet of cooked white rice and cottage cheese (bland, white-colored foods) if I run into diarrhea issues. 50-50 mix, of course.
I think you mean chicken and rice ... cottage cheese would likely make it worse..

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know some have mixed feelings about Royal Canin, but Stanley's poop problems cleared up when we put him on the Special #33. I now mix it with wellness 50-50.

Poor little Ferris. Here's some for your tummy troubles.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would hope Ferris' issues have cleared up by now, this thread is a year old

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by JellyBella

I know some have mixed feelings about Royal Canin, but Stanley's poop problems cleared up when we put him on the Special #33. I now mix it with wellness 50-50.

Poor little Ferris. Here's some for your tummy troubles.
Originally Posted by Arlyn

I would hope Ferris' issues have cleared up by now, this thread is a year old

Thanks for the vibes for Ferris, but yep - he's all better now. I'm still having some loose poop issues with Max, but am beginning to suspect it is malabsorbtion from him eating too fast - he really is an eating MACHINE, LOL.

I just bought a bag of RC Special 33 to try, since the kits are all on a mix of RC and Raw Instinct anyway - I'm going to mix that in and see if it helps at all.

For Max though, I do suspect it's a side effect from chowing down too quickly, as it seems to come and go, and there isn't anything more specific I can attribute it to.

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

Thanks for the vibes for Ferris, but yep - he's all better now. I'm still having some loose poop issues with Max, but am beginning to suspect it is malabsorbtion from him eating too fast - he really is an eating MACHINE, LOL.
That'll teach me to look at the dates

Well, then the vibes are for Ferris to stay better

Now Max
eating should not be a competitive sport!