Eartip a male stray w/o a colony?

fanbeltcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There's a tomcat in my neighborhood. There's a free male neuter clinic at PACCA this Sunday. If they do eartipping, should I ask for it?

There's no colony here - the prospective female membership being inside my house! - and he's not afraid of people, but I am not bringing him inside. (Well, of course I will while he recovers from neutering, but then he's back outside.)

What's the eartipping protocol for this situation??

keith p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didnt get any strays eartipped, I only have a few, and I can tell them all apart, so i know who has been fixed. I also keep the paperwork as proof they were fixed if anyone needs to know.

Eartipping doesnt hurt them, but if your caring for the cat theres no reason it needs eartipping.

If the cat isnt feral and you are feeding it I dont see why it needs that.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would eartip all ferals I get spayed/neutered - just so others who are thinking of doing the same thing can easily tell he's already done.

Like keith said - eartipping doesn't hurt them, but my view is that you might as well if you can.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by FanBeltCat

There's a tomcat in my neighborhood. There's a free male neuter clinic at PACCA this Sunday. If they do eartipping, should I ask for it?

There's no colony here - the prospective female membership being inside my house! - and he's not afraid of people, but I am not bringing him inside. (Well, of course I will while he recovers from neutering, but then he's back outside.)

What's the eartipping protocol for this situation??
An eartip allows people to know that this cat has been neutered so he doesn't accidentally get trapped and taken to another clinic. We had a female at our spay clinic this weekend who was already fixed, so we gave her rabies and gave her an eartip.

Katie

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yup - I agree. Ear tip, colony or no. Just like the others have said - any other cat people out there will already know the Tom's been neutered if he ever turns up in any one else's trap.

Laurie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fanbeltcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't think I'll need to trap him. He's not really feral, just a bit shy. I've left a carrier (door removed) outside the last few days, and when he comes around I go out and put treats inside the carrier. He'll go in as I'm sitting beside it. Hopefully the door won't scare him when I put that on.

So, yes, I'll see if they do eartipping.

sicycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Snowflake and Patches are both eartipped. I think its a good idea if he's going to be an outside kitty.