Resume

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Anyone really good at resumes? I asked my cousin to help me out but the file won't go through email. The only experience I have is banking & haven't done a resume in 7 years. I have been copying word for word from other resumes on the net. (I hate that).

PM me if you can help.

ashleynicole

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just had to do one for school. Monster.com has some tips and samples if that might help!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AshleyNicole

I just had to do one for school. Monster.com has some tips and samples if that might help!
I downloaded a template already. Just need help on wording. I also need help with the layout b/c I only have on job to list.

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why don't you copy and paste what you have so we can see it. Leave out names and addy's and personal info like that.

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Looks a little weird.

Experience\t Assistant Manager
December 2002-October 2006 [Company Name], [City, ST]
\tResponsible for training new employees in operations, product knowledge & customer service
\tResponsible for keeping branch in compliance with all bank policies and procedures and prepares branch for internal audits
\tSales leadership to ensure franchise growth through personal example and regular monitoring of team sales results
\tRegularly operates and oversees all branch functions in the manager’s absence

\tCustomer Service Representative
October 2001- October 2002 [Company Name], [City, ST]
\tResearch & Reconcile Customer Accounts
\tOpen New accounts/Cross Sell Products
\tLoan Settlements

\tTeller Supervisor
October 2000- October 2001 [Company Name], [City, ST]
\tTeller Trainer
\tEnsures compliance with bank polices and procedures.
\tLead tellers in sales

\tTeller
October 1999-October 2000 [Company Name], [City, ST]
\tProvided professional and personable interaction with customers and team members.
\tProcessed all paying and receiving transactions such as cash and check deposits, payments, credit card transfers, cashier and counter checks, cashed checks, and withdrawals.
\tContributed directly to the achievement of sales by recognizing cross selling opportunities to make referrals to appropriate branch staff members.

Education\tDelaware Valley College, Doylestown, PA
1995-1999
\tBS in Biology
\tMinor in Microbiology
Skills\tStrong organizational skills. Self motivated. Ability to delegate in a positive manner. Word, Excel, Outlook

ashleynicole

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think that looks pretty good! I did use Monster to get some of the wording for my resume. If you look under resume information (or something like that) you can pull up a sample resume for different positions. I pulled up nursing, and was able to use wording off the sample one to help me in areas where I was confused. If you are applying for another banking job, maybe they have a sample Banker Resume

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am okay at resumes..My strength is cover letters..I can write a cover letter that is GOLD. I always get the call.

ashleynicole

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

I am okay at resumes..My strength is cover letters..I can write a cover letter that is GOLD. I always get the call.
Would you be interested in giving me some tips or sending an example? I am applying for after graduation jobs (my first REAL job) right now. I did two online applications for different hospitals, but really want to send a hard copy of my resume to them as well.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AshleyNicole

Would you be interested in giving me some tips or sending an example? I am applying for after graduation jobs (my first REAL job) right now. I did two online applications for different hospitals, but really want to send a hard copy of my resume to them as well.
Sure I will, I'll have to do it from home though...PM me to remind me if I take too long

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK, my input is in blue. Since you have taken on many roles within the company, I would list the company name once.

Keep yourself competitive by writing what you did rather than your responsibilities. I.e. as an IT Manager, I could write I'm responsible for the networks, computers, etc. BUT in actuality I upgraded and changed out servers and equipment, loaded software X on all computers, project managed this and that, etc. I provided an example on your first item.

Umm...and if you left them off for confidentiality reasons, then ignore my comments!

PS, you're allowed to have a resume more than one page.
Originally Posted by crazyforinfo

Looks a little weird.

Experience\t Assistant Manager
December 2002-October 2006 [Company Name], [City, ST]
\tResponsible for training new employees in operations, product knowledge & customer service
Trained new employees in company related procedures, FDIC policy and procedures X, Y and Z, taught them knowledge in bankX personal loans, savings and checking accounts, IRAs, Mortgage loans, and ensured quality customer service from all tellers.
\tResponsible for keeping branch in compliance with all bank policies and procedures and prepares branch for internal audits
\tSales leadership to ensure franchise growth through personal example and regular monitoring of team sales results
\tRegularly operates and oversees all branch functions in the manager’s absence

\tCustomer Service Representative
October 2001- October 2002 [Company Name], [City, ST]
\tResearch & Reconcile Customer AccountsDid you use a software? Name that!
\tOpen New accounts/Cross Sell Products
\tLoan Settlements Home Loans? Car Loans? Commercial loans? What was the process?

\tTeller Supervisor
October 2000- October 2001 [Company Name], [City, ST]
\tTeller Trainer How did you train them? Details please!
\tEnsures compliance with bank polices and procedures.Specifically which Policies and Procedures? Any FDIC related?
\tLead tellers in sales How?

\tTeller
October 1999-October 2000 [Company Name], [City, ST]
\tProvided professional and personable interaction with customers and team members.
\tProcessed all paying and receiving transactions such as cash and check deposits, payments, credit card transfers, cashier and counter checks, cashed checks, and withdrawals.
\tContributed directly to the achievement of sales by recognizing cross selling opportunities to make referrals to appropriate branch staff members.

Education\tDelaware Valley College, Doylestown, PA
1995-1999
\tBS in Biology <--Are you looking to get back into this as a field? If so plop it at the top
\tMinor in Microbiology
Skills\tStrong organizational skills. Self motivated. Ability to delegate in a positive manner. Word, Excel, Outlook

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow you have been given some great advice alreay. As far as using wording I think you are choosing the right words for the most part. Looks pretty good to me!

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks Jenney! I think the only advice I can't use is the type of software. I have no idea what it was. I know the company that issued the software. LoL

I can't get into the Biology field again. Do you think I should leave my minor/major out?

How do you recommend the layout of where to put the company's name?
This is already going to page 2. I heard that if you only have one job to list it's best to make it lengthly in details.

What objective should I put down? I hate that part. I don't want to limit myself to banking and I really don't want to be a manager again.

Natalie,
How important is a cover letter?

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Natalie,
It would be considered required by most people. Pretty much everybody will send one in, so your resume might be looked at as incomplete sitting there all by itself.

It's a pain...I'm doing the same thing AshleyNicole is doing right now. Uggghhh, how I wish the application process would be OVER!

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Absolutely agree with Lunasmom. You want your statements to be very active rather than passive. Your statements should claim accomplishments and start with an action verb:

Trained employees......
Monitored results.....
Audited banking policy for compliance with.....

Avoid using "managed, supervised, led, responsible for", etc. These don't really state what you accomplished. A prospective employer wants to know that you are going to deliver for them.

Watch your tense throughout the resume. If you are talking about a current position, use current tense like "train, monitor, audit". If you are talking about a previous position, then use past tense "trained, monitored, audited".

I've read a LOT of resumes over the years and offered advice on many. My last resume didn't get me the job, but it got a response from the company of "this is the most impressive resume I've ever come across". Most companies don't bother with a response at all.

If you want to e-mail it to me once you get your ideas more settled, I'll be glad to read it over and offer constructive advice.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
[

Thanks Jenney! I think the only advice I can't use is the type of software. I have no idea what it was. I know the company that issued the software. LoL

I can't get into the Biology field again. Do you think I should leave my minor/major out?

How do you recommend the layout of where to put the company's name?
This is already going to page 2. I heard that if you only have one job to list it's best to make it lengthly in details.

What objective should I put down? I hate that part. I don't want to limit myself to banking and I really don't want to be a manager again.

Natalie,
I would leave the schooling in, including the major. I just wasn't sure what type of job you were looking for, so since you're not looking to get back into the Biology field, leave it where it is.

As for the software don't worry about it then. I forgot that you had posted about your *productive* boss and were ready to get out of banking. If you use Word, Excel definitely list that (or whatever writing software you use). That could come in handy.

What I meant by the company name was something like this:

Company Name 2000-present
Most recent position City, ST
Details about the job

Previous position City, ST
Details about position

etc...

In the objective, just state what you want to do. Nothing flowery like "position to gain growth and knowlege blah blah blah". Just state what you are looking to get into:
Objective: A position in the <insert industry here> an accounts payable representative.
(or whatever your hearts desire)

I have been told that you can substitute a cover letter with what you place in your objective, but since you're looking to move on from banking, stick to one.

I'll let Natalie take over on that!

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Job objective
To obtain a position that will challenge my skills and afford an opportunity for advancement and growth.

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow I wish I posted for help sooner. Thank You everyone. I have been pulling my hair out waiting for my cousin for 4 weeks now. He is really good at this and has held all the positions I did. Either he is unreliable or my email is. Now to figure out what the heck I want to do. I have no passion. I just like taking home the pay and figure out what to do with it. DH's friends were trying to talk me into schooling for CPA. The last thing I want to do is more college. I just want a 9-5 job even if it is boring.

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think we hall have a bit of resume experience!
I feel like I have been doing hundreds of them for friends and Lee!

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Phenomsmom

Job objective
To obtain a position that will challenge my skills and afford an opportunity for advancement and growth.
I love that because it doesn't mention line of work