Sweet mom & daughter kitties need a home

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hey guys, just wanted to request some vibes for two very, very sweet kitties - a mom and daughter that are in need of a new home. The girls are currently living with a family that feeds some feral cats in the local neighborhood where I've been doing TNR. I thought they were being taken care of, but found out over the weekend that they are a confined to a kennel most of the time and one of family members is threatening to take them to our county shelter, which is very high kill.

It's a complicated situation and I won't get into all the family dynamics. The main thing is that I need to get the cats out of there. Living in a kennel and basically being ignored isn't much of a life for them. The major obstacle I'm facing is that there is one family member that doesn't want to give the cats up, but I'm pretty sure I can talk her into it. The good is that the cats have been already been spayed (took care of this last fall)

Can you guys please spare some vibes/prayers that I can find a no-kill shelter to take these two sweeties or, even better, a permanent home? I've started putting out some feelers and had one rescue group offer to take them, but they don't have a very good reputation.

Thanks everybody. These sweet girls really deserve a home. I'll keep you posted.

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh heck, tons & tons & positive re-homing {{{{{vibes}}}}} whizzing your way for those special babies

Hope you can manage to 'convince' the current owners and you can get them out OK

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lots of positive vibes for the two girls. I really hope you can find them a better home to be in. Being in a kennel all day would be awful

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks everybody. The latest is that I'm getting some resistance from the mother in this family, who actually owns the house where the cats are staying, about giving them up. She says the cats are only in the the kennel a few hours out of the day, not a majority of the time like her daughter told me. She said she's willing for me to help find them a home, but when I told her I'd be willing to foster the cats and get them to the vet, she said she'll have to call me back about arrangements to pick them up. I also offered to come over and get pics of the cats to put them on Petfinder, but she said she'll have to call me back on this too.

I'm not sure what else to do at this point if the mom is reluctant for me to take the cats. I've made the offer and have tried to be very understanding and polite about things for the sake of the cats. I'm wondering now if the situation is as urgent as the daughter made it out to be. Ultimately, the decision about what happens with the cats should be up to the mother, since it's her house. I really don't want to get in the middle of a family squabble.

I guess for now the best I can do is monitor the situation and follow up next week like the mother requested. If anyone has any other ideas, I'm open to them. Please keep the vibes coming for these sweet cats in the meantime.
Thanks.

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sending prayers and hugs from Mississippi that this mama cat and her daughter will be ok, where ever they are.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sending more {{{ prayers and vibes }}} for those 2 kitties! If you know which shelter they might be shipped off to, perhaps you could contact the shelter & alert them to the fact that you would be willing to take the kitties in. Since they have a high-kill rate, I'd doubt if they'd want any reassurance that you won't rehome the cats your self. As for your reluctant neighbor -- What is wrong with people??

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is there another member of the family you could ask about the situation? I'd tend to believe the daughter, and not the mother's denial...

Sending lots of good thoughts and prayers for these two sweeties.

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

Is there another member of the family you could ask about the situation? I'd tend to believe the daughter, and not the mother's denial...

Sending lots of good thoughts and prayers for these two sweeties.
I would just keep trying and I would try to moniter the situation the best that I could, I don't really know who is telling the truth.

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks, guys. I really, really appreciate all your prayers and vibes regarding this situation.

The family consists of the mom, daughter, her baby and her boyfriend, who doesn't really live there. I've been working with this family since last summer regarding several feral cats they feed and have found them to be pretty cooperative. But, I've also picked up on some tension in the house between the mom and daughter, which I suspect is at the root of the issues with the indoor cats.

I trust the mom more than the daughter, though, and know she won't let her do anything rash with the cats. I definitely still want to get them out of there, though, and will just have to convince the mom it's in everybody's best interest to find another place for the cats. Please keep the vibes coming that I can convince her and, of course, find another home for the cats.

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Those poor kitties.
I will keep them in my prayers that you are able to talk the mom into letting them go to find their home.

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Nothing new to report, just wanted to ask for continued vibes that I can figure out the best way to help the cats and the people involved in this situation. Thanks everybody.
Will keep you posted.

pettransport

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by eilcon

Hey guys, just wanted to request some vibes for two very, very sweet kitties - a mom and daughter that are in need of a new home. The girls are currently living with a family that feeds some feral cats in the local neighborhood where I've been doing TNR. I thought they were being taken care of, but found out over the weekend that they are a confined to a kennel most of the time and one of family members is threatening to take them to our county shelter, which is very high kill.

It's a complicated situation and I won't get into all the family dynamics. The main thing is that I need to get the cats out of there. Living in a kennel and basically being ignored isn't much of a life for them. The major obstacle I'm facing is that there is one family member that doesn't want to give the cats up, but I'm pretty sure I can talk her into it. The good is that the cats have been already been spayed (took care of this last fall)

Can you guys please spare some vibes/prayers that I can find a no-kill shelter to take these two sweeties or, even better, a permanent home? I've started putting out some feelers and had one rescue group offer to take them, but they don't have a very good reputation.

Thanks everybody. These sweet girls really deserve a home. I'll keep you posted.
Email me all the info you have on these cats. Where they are and whom to contact and I'll post to the online rescue groups I belong to. Send the info to me offlist [email protected]

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by PetTransport

Email me all the info you have on these cats. Where they are and whom to contact and I'll post to the online rescue groups I belong to. Send the info to me offlist [email protected]
Will do. Thanks very much!

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, guys, I'll be honest with you. Over the weekend I had pretty much decided that I wasn't going to take these cats myself, but would do everything possible to help the family rehome them. I didn't (and still don't) want to set a precedent for just taking peoples' cats and helping them be irresponsible. I don't have the space or resources to do that. My primary focus in this neighborhood has to be TNR.

However, after a conversation with the daughter this morning, which was very enlightening regarding the family dynamics and animal situation in this household, I have agreed to take the cats. This goes against my better judgement, but deep down I know it's the right thing to do. The family has agreed to pay a majority of the cost of getting the cats vet checked, vaccinated and tested as a condition of me taking them.

Since I'm really not in the position to foster longterm right now, I've already got some feelers out to get these two sweeties into a more permanent situation. What I need from you guys is some of that awesome TCS magic to make this happen.

I should be picking the girls up by the end of this week at the latest. Will let you know more about their personalities and post pics then. Please, please, please send all the vibes/prayers you can that I'm not getting in over my head here and can do right by these sweet girls. Their names, by the way, are Lucy (mom) and Ethel (daughter). Thanks!