Igot to meet and Irish Wolfhound this weekend!

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Met one several years ago. It took up the entire back seat of the owner's car.

The biggest dog I know personally is niece's Great Dane, Morpheus. I call him Moose because he is almost as big as one! He's probably bigger than Jenny's ponies.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I love Irish Wolfhounds and will definitely own one one day. You don't need a humungous house, though a fenced-in yard is a must. They do need several good walks a day to keep happy, but you don't have to run marathons with them.
They are the sweetest, shaggiest gentle giants.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They are so sweet! I kept calling him a pony! He was enormous! i would just think they would want to run and run and run!

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They are awesome to look at! I remember seeing them in the Chicago St. Patty's Parade.

breal76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We had an Irish Wolfhound Mastiff mix surrendered to the shelter. He came in weighing 190 pounds. His name was Driller. He wasn't neutered either and let me tell ya. He had the biggest set of...um ball I have ever seen on a dog! lol..

He was such a sweetie. The family that adopted him came in about 2 month later telling us he was the best dog ever. They said he liked to watch TV on the couch. Just what we like to hear.

Soon as I get my own house, I will be on the hunt for the biggest dog I can find. I like big dogs a lot.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Phenomsmom

They are so sweet! I kept calling him a pony! He was enormous! i would just think they would want to run and run and run!
They certainly are big enough to be a pony!

I'm not sure what show it was and it's a few years old, but it was about dogs. There was a bit on misbehaving/extreme separation anxiety. A woman had left her irish wolfhound in her car while she ran into to the store to get something really quick. I do believe the dog wasn't even an adult yet . It shreadded the inside of her car in minutes

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was owned by a very large greyhound and my niece used to call him "horsey". I had him at the vet once when someone brought in an Irish Wolfhound. He was a giant next to my grey. My grey's head came up to my waist and the irish's head came up to my chest.

I love huge dogs and would love to be owned by one someday. Huge dogs are just big couch potatoes.

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LOL-my in laws used to raise those big ole lugs! I personally always thought they were kinda ugly
But when I met theirs, I saw what great personalities they had!! You had to be careful because if you werent paying much aatention, they would come flying thru the yard, and you would go boom!

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
they are gorgeous but I have never met one in person. I would love to meet one in person, though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
WE took him for a walk at the park right down from her house and a guy was driving past. He stopped, got out, and was going on and on about how he never saw one IRL. He just came up to Cooper (the dog) and petted him. i would have been scared! He is huge! He didn't even know if the dog would bite and didn't ask either!

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Phenomsmom

WE took him for a walk at the park right down from her house and a guy was driving past. He stopped, got out, and was going on and on about how he never saw one IRL. He just came up to Cooper (the dog) and petted him. i would have been scared! He is huge! He didn't even know if the dog would bite and didn't ask either!
I used to walk one regularly and every time without fail, someone would yell out the window "got a saddle for your horse" etc. He almost caused traffic accidents 'cos people would stare! And I loved the reactions we'd get in the park!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They are lovely dogs ... I personally am not right for one ... but they are great