Anyone here have a Bernese Mtn Dog?

cinder

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm thinking about getting another dog and I'm really serious about getting one of these. They seem to have the personality I want and I love they way they look. I'd want a male, so he would be bigger than my dog Dobber, a golden retriever mix who is about 75 lbs.

The one thing that kind of bothers me is that it says they only live 7-8 years, which seems like a pretty short lifespan. I know they're a little spendy, looks like anywhere from 600-1500.

Does anywhere here have any firsthand experience?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Lovely family dogs but they need to work

maxy24

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The truth is they do only live on average 8 years. They can have a lot of medical problems that go along with their size. Maybe you can try fostering one first and see how you like them. I like the breed very much but will never get one because of all the health problems. If you do get one I'm sure it will be very rewarding!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cinder

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Fostering might be a bit tough...you don't see very many of them around here. The cost & lifespan may have something to do with it.
There are two breeders in the state that I've heard of, but neither has pups now.

I was talking to a guy in Petsmart this past weekend who had a puppy. He'd purchased it in Alaska and had it flown in. (we're in Oregon) DH really liked the puppy's disposition, very laid back. But I know he won't go for it if he thinks there's going to be health issues and that he might only be with us a relatively short time. I've been having a bad year with my cats, lost three...who ranged from 12 to 14 years old and so I'm pretty sure that DH will make a big issue out of how hard that is on me and say...NO!

Crud... Speaking of puppies, here's mine in his younger days. (He's about 9 now)

naturestee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My neighbor has two. They're beautiful, but they bark a lot and are very loud. Probably because they only have a small yard and are never walked. I don't even see the owners playing fetch with them or anything.

gardenandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My sister has one. They are work dogs very active. They need alot of attention and exercise.They are loyal and protective of the family also. But like I say they aren't happy unless they are working or outside playing. They aren't the breed of dog to be kept inside home alone. They are best suited for farms and country living. She has had a few and they lived till 10 years old two of them and then one died at 8 years old. Big breeds have a shorter life span. Really give this some thought as they need alot of exercise and attention.

cinder

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We have 6 acres. I'm not really sure what you mean by work. We walk to the barn, we walk to the house, we walk to the barn...

At night or if we're both gone we keep Dobber in the shop. During the day he pretty much follows us around or meanders around on his own if we're in the house. We take him for rides to town as long as it's not going to be a long trip. (pickup has a canopy) We've thought about gating off the driveway so he can be out whenever he wants. **shrug**

So, other than play...what is work?

Thanks maxy, I'll keep checking Petfinders. I didn't think of that.

Naturestee....maybe I should see if your neighbors want to give theirs up!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
work... bernese were orginally high mountain herders... any chn s ducks sheep goats running around???

cinder

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have a miniature horse, a donkey and a llama. They don't take kindly to herding either, unless you're headed toward the barn for grain.
I had a goat but he kept escaping to the neighbors. Liked to stand on their patio and watch them through the sliding doors. He found a new home with a lady friend.

plebayo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
At the clinic I work at we have a client who is on his second one. They are awesome dogs [at least his have been].

The first one lived to be 10. He ended up with cancer I think... he was a GREAT dog. Very laid back, level headed. He liked being a house dog. He came in to be groomed twice a month.

Their second one is coming on a year old. He's a complete goofball, just a huggable ball of fluff. He comes in to be groomed once a month and has been since they got him. He's definitley a bit more of a dork than their first one, but he's a really friendly, happy dog.

The owner doesn't ask a ton of his dog. He knows basic obedience commands. He's a house dog, he doesn't have a "job" other than to go on walks with his owner, to be groomed, and to be a house dog. Both this dog and their first were very quiet dogs, and they both have stable good temperments. I think it depends where you buy the dog. If you buy the dog from strict working lines, you'll probably have more problems with barking, protective aggression, and more issues curbing boredum. But if you buy a dog from someone who breeds them for companion dogs I think you'll be fine.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Maxy24

The truth is they do only live on average 8 years. They can have a lot of medical problems that go along with their size. Maybe you can try fostering one first and see how you like them. I like the breed very much but will never get one because of all the health problems. If you do get one I'm sure it will be very rewarding!
Berners are very prone to getting a form of Histiocytosis, (it can be Reactive or Malignant Histiocytosis). We have first hand knowledge of the disease and it is a life threatening autoimmune illness. They have to have their immune system suppressed with cyclosporine which is very costly. Plus a cocktail of other meds. and minerals. We are going through this right now with our dog Sean who is not a Bernese Mountain Dog. It is because of the disease being so prevalent in Berners that we became knowledgeable about it. If you would like any other info. about this health concern please feel free to pm me.

cinder

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all the great info everyone.

This is really frustrating. The more I read about the temperment of the breed, the more I really like them. But the health issues appear to be very significant. I'll have to track it down again, but one article said the lifespan was at one point adjusted downward from 10-12 years to 6-8.

This from one article...

Cancers are a serious problem in the Bernese. An ongoing study of
these diseases in the breed, sponsored by the Bernese Mountain Dog
Club of America, indicates the following:
* Approximately 9.7% of Berners get cancer.
* The average age at which cancer is diagnosed is 6.21 years;
however, this varies widely.
* The most common types of cancer found in Berners are:
+ histiocytosis (24.0% of cases): these tumors are inherited,
but probably through the action of many genes (polygenic)
acting together
+ mastocytoma: also inherited
+ lymphosarcoma: not inherited
+ fibrosarcoma: not inherited
Wow...having lost four out of my last five cats to cancer, that's not a place I want to go. I'll have to do some more reading, particularly about histiocytosis, which is not a cancer I'm familiar with. Thanks neely, hope Sean is doing well.

bob'smom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My parents had one, rescued from the town shelter. Berners are very protective of their families, to the point that one of the neighbors thought he was a menance. Actually he was more anti-social than anything. And be prepared for a lot of grooming.

clairebear

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A friend of mine has one. He's a very nice dog. I've heard that due to their size they don't live as long as alot of other breeds.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Cinder

I'll have to do some more reading, particularly about histiocytosis, which is not a cancer I'm familiar with. Thanks neely, hope Sean is doing well.
Actually he's in the midst of a bad flare up. There is a veterniary group out of the U C at Davis that is well known for their research with this disease. I believe the website is www.histiocytosis.ucdavis.edu
Once again, this disease is so prevalent in Berners that I would caution anyone who is interested in this breed. Sean is presently on cyclosporine, ketoconazole, tetracycline, niacidimide, trental and safflower oil just to name a few. We saved him from a kill shelter and would do anything to help him. If you would like any other info. just let me know.

mulenag

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't have a Berner, but seriously considered the breed before getting my Newfoundland. They are prone to joint issues and cancer which makes it VERY important to research your breeder. Make sure you ask tons of questions and make sure the sire and dam have their clearances through OFA. With dogs I am a firm believer that you get what you pay for. If you get a $600 bargain Berner from a newspaper ad you are putting yourself at risk for a dog with more health problems. If you find a breeder through the Bernese Mountain Dog of America and ask tons of questions to make sure the parents are healthy than you will have a better chance of getting a healthier dog.

That being said...have you considered Newfies?
Little bit longer life span, still prone to certain health issue which you can avoid by finding a reputable breeder, and they are sweet as pie! Mine adores my cats and other animals. They shed like crazy and some can drool like you wouldn't believe, but they do have the best temperament.

Good luck with your search! And if you want more Berner info I know a girl in OH that has one that would be more than willing to chat with you about the breed. Just pm me if you want an email address.

cinder

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That being said...have you considered Newfies?
Well I actually hadn't, but I do have a saddle.
I had contact with a couple at the clinic and they were sweet dogs.

I was doing some reading and one of the things that struck me was that neither parent could have a history of some of the problems that plague the Bernese, and it could still turn up in the pups. I'm going to have to go back and check on what that was about. I did some research after reading Neely's posts and it did scare me. But I also talked to the receptionist at one of the vet clinics where they have a breeder for a client. She said although they didn't live all that long, you get alot a love during the time you have them. I know this is true. I've had some kitties that I only was able to nurse along from 3 months to a year, and I wouldn't have given up the time with them for anything.

fosterkitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I assume from your post that your dogs live outside for the most part. Please do not get a dog that is banished to the outdoors or your shop. Dog belong with their owners, and if the owner is in the house, thats where the dog belongs.