I just got an earful..

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
from one of my students.

The class I teach I allow for 3 late homework assignments. I'm lenient if they were sick for a long period of time (i.e. where they miss 2 sessions or more) or if they're trying to balance a workload.

The main purpose of this late assignment rule is so that I'm not bogged down by the homework for the entire course by 10 students during the last week of class.

Some of my students have reached that 3-late homework rule (they've turned in 3 late assignments). So in my prep-email for the class tomorrow, I generally cautioned some students *as a reminder*

The student I got the earful from has only missed one assignment...so the email was by no means directed towards him. However he seemed to think so and well, gave me a long earful about how he's new to computers and that he will have his homework in within the next 2 weeks, etc.

So umm.. yea. I think I'll eat first before I respond. I'm not peeved or anything, just this guy is the one that always is trying to butt kiss me. Well it is mid-semester, so perhaps he's stressed.

clairebear

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe he just misinterpreted the email. I would just tell him it was meant to caution those already at the limit.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a student that freaks at the slightest thing. I mean really freaks. Three days into her classes she was sooooo behind and I mean really panicking.
I wanted to scream she was so worked up over it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I emailed him back basically saying that the part about the late assignments were not directed at him, but really a reminder as 2 or 3 students have used all 3.

Then I explained his other question (about compressing/decompressing files -same thing as zipping/unzipping) and ignored his 3rd question. The last questions was really a challenge question, as in "do you remember what its like not to know this material? I'm serious..."

I ignored that one.

Thanks!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by theimp98

you should have told him no. You came out knowing all this stuff about computers.
lol i think you should do that too

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by theimp98

you should have told him no. You came out knowing all this stuff about computers.

I was born like this :

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I love people like that! if it doesn't apply to you jsut ignore it!! maybe he has a guilty conscience

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK this guy is just creepy.

He just emailed me back (total 180 from last night -so back to kissing my butt again). He told me he feels sorry for me because sometimes i look so shy when I'm standing up in front of the class....with my doe eyes

Ew. I think he just crossed the line of butt kissing. I think I need to start looking like this:

sweet72947

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lunasmom

He just emailed me back (total 180 from last night -so back to kissing my butt again). He told me he feels sorry for me because sometimes i look so shy when I'm standing up in front of the class....with my doe eyes

Ew. I think he just crossed the line of butt kissing. I think I need to start looking like this:
That sounds like more that butt kissing for sure! Sounds like he wants to kiss more that your butt!
You may have to remind him of the rules that say teachers can't date students.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yeah, that's crossing the line alright. Keep a copy of that email, and document anything else strange that he does, just in case you need to take action against him.

ilovesiamese

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That last email is weird! I would never say that to one of my instructors.... sick.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Tell him he just lost 25% his grade, and next such email he will be kicked from the class.

wookie130

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sweet72947

That sounds like more that butt kissing for sure! Sounds like he wants to kiss more that your butt!
You may have to remind him of the rules that say teachers can't date students.
Creepy wierd, I tell you! What a freak of nature.

Tell him he's not allowed to comment on your doe eyes, or how you seem shy...it's just not...erm, professional.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think he's a little on the slow side, but ermm...yea. creepy. I am definitely watching my back with him.

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I think he's a little on the slow side, but ermm...yea. creepy. I am definitely watching my back with him.

How old is he?
Wow you have some strange students! I just read your midterm thread.

cubbie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Was the email written so that the recipient knew the email wasn't directed specifically at him? If so, he may have had a knee jerk reaction and should get over it.

I do hate when my boss makes "general reminders" to her employees at our staff meetings. With the corporate world you may think you are doing one thing right or wrong and be completely off-base. When stuff like that happens, I just want to tell my boss to tell the individuals, not the whole group.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most of them are pretty good. I guess I was spoiled the first time I taught. This is my second class.