Help with Itching Plz!

everythingrosie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there,

A year ago my never-go-out cats (unrelated) developed earmites (I think) after being allowed to spend long hours at the metal screen door during an exceptionally dry and dusty summer. Several times I know an unkempt neighborhood cat came by the door.

A trip to the vet and some "Revoltuion" in their ears and I thought they would be fine. Four vets, many changes of food, a short attempt at steroids, a week long stint with a hystamine injection (which did calm them temporarily but I could not afford to continue with, and certainly didnt think it was a cure), many changes of litter, OneShot flea stuff, thorough house cleanings, bombing house 3x, absolutely healthy pronouncements by vets, skin scraping between toes, rubbing diatinatious earth on them, laundering of everything in sight, and gentle shampooing...nothing has stopped what I believe is Itching.

I am exhausted, not to mention my poor darlings. I can't believe it is allergies, as the cats are unrelated, yet developed this itching at the same time. I also dont think it is dust (my original home does have a concrete floor and is a bit dusty), because I have been living at my second home for three months now and the itching continues.

The cats lick their paws incessantly, try to lick/bite at their backs, genitals, tail. Lately they seem to shake their entire heads a lot, and I think this may have something to do with my recently trying some flea stuff on that spot behind the head and between shoulders. When I started shampooing them in the summer, I do think a fewfleas may have popped off - I'm not sure - as I couldn't relly see anything but a few brown spots on the tile floor. Could they still be itching from possible past flea bites? If so, what can I do?

I'm sorry to overwhelm you with our symptoms and questions, but any suggestions will be welcomed and given serious consideration. You guys and gals are the experts!

My thanks,

everythingrosie

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like you and your kitties have been through a lot lately. I know it can be frustrating.

I don't have answers for all of your questions...but a few things...

I would discontinue the use of any "over the counter" flea medicine. Reactions (from mild to very severe) are common with those. Products like Advantage or Frontline or (one you mentioned) Revolution - can be obtained from your vet and are considered safer.

Revolution is applied to the neck, between the shoulderblades - there was probably a different medicine that went directly in their ears? Revolution treats earmites, fleas and roundworms.

They could just be itching from the 'spot on' flea medicine.

Shaking their head could still be earmites.

Maybe a second opionion from another vet is needed. I hope you can get to the bottom of it soon.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor kitties. I agree that a second opinion from a vet couldn't hurt. I hope you figure it out soon. I know it must be miserable for you and the kitties.

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We used to give our beloved Sambo Benadryl for his itching, the vet told me it was ok to do this, and it really helped him.

I would ask the vet if I could give it to the cats.

shorty14788

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
First of all... do NOT... I repeat... DO NOT use an over the counter flea product! They are DANGEROUS! Hartz brand flea products have KILLED many cats. I recently rescued a cat that had a hartz brand flea product applied on him. The previous owner applied TWO tubes to try and kill the flea...(the product is not very effective) The cat lost the ablity to control its bladder. He was urinating all over himself.

Here are some pages about it...
http://www.wate.com/global/story.asp...Type=Printable
http://www.epa.gov/pesticides/factsh...tick-drops.htm
http://www.elversonpuzzle.com/biospot.html

I would only buy products from a vet.

Secondly, many cats can have a flea allgery. If a single flea bites them it can set them off. I don't know about ALL of your babies having this problem though. A good way to figure out if its an allergy or not is to try an antihistamine. If they stop scratching while they are on it... it's probally an allergy. Otherwise, i don't know what to tell you. A good antihistamine for cats is chlorpheniramine. I dont know how much your babies weigh, but the average adult dosage is..... 1/2 of a 4 mg tablet twice daily. You can get it at most any drug store.
Make sure you get tablets and not capsules or you will have a heck of a time figuring out 1/2.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
BEFORE using any OTC MEDS whether HUMAN or Kitty CALL YOUR/ ER/OR any VET and ask... what is safe for one may not be for another

I would also suggest another vet//

shorty14788

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Chlorpheniramine IS safe for ALL cats. It is even safe for use in kittens. Most shelters use it for URI's. I dont know if benadyl is safe for use in cats though...

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Shorty14788

Chlorpheniramine IS safe for ALL cats. It is even safe for use in kittens. Most shelters use it for URI's. I dont know if benadyl is safe for use in cats though...
It may well be but unless you are a vet and have seen the animal best not to advice on MEDs especially an off label and non animal specific...

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Shorty14788

I don't know if Benadryl is safe for cats either, that is why I posted to ask the vet about it.

Our vet told me that we could give Benadryl to our beloved Sambo for his itching, but like I said Sambo was a dog.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

everythingrosie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi beandip,

Thank you. No, the Revolution she (vet) put directly in their ears over a year ago. They DID have ear mites then; I saw them. I have had the cats checked twice since and there have been none. Geez, could that vet have misused that product?

No, the spot on flea stuff is very recent - just last week, so not the cause of this infernal itch.
After reading all the responses thus far, I tend to agree: perhaps they did once get bit by a flea and continue with some type of allergy. I am frustrated by the vets thus far. So many seem to push expensive foods on me...
tomorrow I am going to get some Frontline from a vet.

everythingrosie

everythingrosie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh thank you, PaulaS. Your attention means a lot to all of us.

everythingrosie

everythingrosie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
LSULOVER,

Thank you. One of the vets did say 1/3 of Benadryl tablet per day, but my cats were hating me after a few days. I didn't see much difference.

everythingrosie

everythingrosie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Dear Shorty,

I think it IS an allergy maybe once bitten by a flea! Is the Chloro..(forgot how to spell) - is it listed by that name? Brand name? I will ask the vet tomrrow what he thinks of it.
Do you think it will stop the itching completely with a little use?

Vet said he will give me some Frontline. I don't think they have any fleas; it is the itching that persists. Will the Frontline help with that?

I think the vets I have been to jump to conclusions without fully listening. Call me nuts, but I see the same thing in human docs.
OK, got that off my chest....

everythingrosie

everythingrosie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Shorty,

Is Chlorpheniramine the brand name? Where do I find it? A drug store? I will check if it is ok with vet tomorrow.
Thank you.
Also, what is URIs?

everythingrosie

everythingrosie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks Sharky for the reminder...

thank you all...I will keep you updated.

everythingrosie

shorty14788

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It is the name of the drug. There are many differant "trade names" for it.
Here's a site for the medication:

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/d...r/a682543.html

URI stands for Upper respiratory infection. It's an antihistamine that also works well for decongestion in cats.

Also, has your vet tried any type of steroid? The vets office I work at uses, dexamethasone or depo-medrol injections for cats that are itching badly. Depo-medrol is a longer acting steroid then the dex.

everythingrosie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Shorty,

Is the depo-medrol something they would have to take forever? I am scared of such. These are my first cats. He did try a steroid when the itch first started, but I thought it made them worse. Maybe I can ask what it was and if there is different.
I printed the Chlorapheniramine info - thanks.I will enquire there as well.

everythingrosie

shorty14788

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
depo-medrol is a steroid injection that lasts a couple months. It is not something you do long term. Even though cats handle steroids well, it is not a good idea to keep cats on them. Long term steroid use can cause kidney and liver problems. I would ask your vet what kind of steroid was used. If he used Dex, it only lasts a couple of days and could help explain why your cats are still itchy...

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by everythingrosie

Hi beandip,

Thank you. No, the Revolution she (vet) put directly in their ears over a year ago. They DID have ear mites then; I saw them. I have had the cats checked twice since and there have been none. Geez, could that vet have misused that product?
everythingrosie
I've never heard of putting it directly in the ears. It works by absorbing into the skin, into the bloodstream

From http://www.revolution4cats.com/displ...ies=FL&sec=100:

Q: How does RevolutionÂ[emoji]174[/emoji] (selamectin) work?

A: Revolution enters the bloodstream through the skin. Concentrations of Revolution in the blood and tissues prevent heartworm disease and prevent and treat roundworm and hookworm infections. Revolution selectively redistributes from the blood to the skin and other tissues, where it provides protection against fleas, flea eggs, and ear mites.

everythingrosie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Shorty,
Am supposed to go get Frontline at vet but he is a good hour drive from here and the weather is challenging today...would I have to take the cats for that injection by him, or could he give me it and I do it myself? I want to try and avoid driving back and forth several times or having to lug cats in this weather...I don't think I need Frontline -= see NO fleas or such. They are indoor cats and sleep on my bed; I would know. Their skin is beautiful too.

I think this is a reaction from what once was, and the REACTION has continued, not the fleas.

My thanks, more than you know,

everythingrosie