Something strange just happened to me, so I need advice please.

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was at the store getting the stuff for my colonoscopy (YUCK) and I came back to a strange phone call. It was my boss telling me I didin't have to come in until 3 or even 4 tomorrow. Now I told her that I wouldn't be getting the 48 hours I am required to work each weel if I did that and her reply was That's ok, I'm tired aren't you? I am just wondering if this doesn't have something to do with the fact that she went home one day 1 1/2 hours before her shift was done, and another day 1 hour before her shift was done. So since she's not getting her 48 hours she thinks I shouldn't either?
Is that right? It's been bugging me since I got off the phone with her. I mean if there was a real reason like I had more then my share of hours I could see that, but I don't so it's bothering me. And asking another person to stay so I can come in later just doesn't seem right to me either. There is no reason I can't come in at the scheduled time so why ask someone to stay?
SO I guess what I'm asking is, what do you think? Should I just go in at my scheduled time or at 3 or 4 like she wants? What would you do in my shoes?

sibohan2005

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you should live up to what you signed up for. If you are supposed to get 48 hours get your 48 hours. Tell her you are living up to your contractual obligations and unless she wants to give you full pay for working fewer hours you will continue on the way you were hired to work.

Maybe she is trying to give you some time as the colonoscopy Prep isn't peasant (I've had 3 colonoscopies)

If you feel like going in at your regular time I would, it shows that you are willing and able to work and allows your work to see what your made of. But if the prep is taking it out of you (and it will) you seem to have permission to come in late.

I don't think its necessarily a bad thing

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think she's trying to be nice and give you some time off for your colonoscopy prep.

I'd go in at the time the boss said, and ask later about the hours you're meant to do.

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think I would give in for tomorrow (especially if you might not be feeling well) and go in late .. but if it bothers you, fight the battle at a later time (perhaps the next time she does it).

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would go in at my scheduled time. Screw her (unless she really is trying to just be nice)
. If she can't give you a good reason then you should be able to get your hours.Or if you don't mind taking the time off then take advantage of it.

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm just thinking if she fights for her hours tomorrow, and then ends up being really sick, she'll have effectively fought, probably won, and then cut off her own nose to spite her face if she can't make it. I think I'd opt for the safe side tomorrow, just to be sure.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
oh no no. My colonoscopy isn't until Thurs. The prep starts when I get off tomorrow. I am also a salaried manager (asst anyway) so even if I don't get the whole 48 hours, I still get paid for 40.
That's my dilemma. I feel like I'm cheating my stores owner if I don't work and I'm able to, and I feel like she wants me to look as bad as she is(for leaving early those days) for not going in at my scheduled time.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I get the impression that whatever reason she wants you in late is in her interests, not yours.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is there a reason why she would have to be there when you are?

Cause if you're boss is giving you the time, just take advantage of it while you can.

The thing I have learned is that if you don't, they'll never offer it to you again.

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well our schedules are opposite on Tues. She works 8-5 and I'm supposed to work 2-11. I talked to my shift manager and asked her what the mgrs hours are and she said, with today and tomorrow she will have 44+ and if I come in at 4 tomorrow I will have 45+. Now is that strange or what? So what I'm thinking is that if I go in at 2 like I'm supposed to I will have 47 and she will only still have her 44 and it'll make her look bad and that's why she wants me to come in later so she doesn't look bad in the owners eyes.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would stick to your regular hours unless you really can't manage it withthe prep etc. And if she asks why, then just say you are 'banking' a few hours in case you have a problem. That with all this coming up you don't want people to feel you are just slacking.

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jennyranson

I would stick to your regular hours unless you really can't manage it withthe prep etc. And if she asks why, then just say you are 'banking' a few hours in case you have a problem. That with all this coming up you don't want people to feel you are just slacking.
That sounds like a good idea

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She called me at 1:30 and told me to come in at 4. I am confused.
Now she's leaving at 4 instead of 5. I can't say I forgot like I was going to because she called a 1/2 hour ago. I was almost ready to go too.

Oh well, it's the last day of the week for us, our weeks go Weds to Tues so I guess I can't do much about it now except go in and make her look stupid, so I guess I'm just going to wait and if the owner asks, I'll tell him she called me and told me not to come in until 4.
I start my prep for my colonoscopy tonight and the exam is Thurs so I'm just taking Wed and Thurs as my days off. Unfortunately I have to work 13 hours Friday. I hope I feel ok enough to do it.

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would go in when the boss said to go in. After all she is the boss, and ignoring her is a form of insubordination. If she told you to go in later than I would do it. I might not be happy about it, but I'd do what she told me to do.

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by HopeHacker

I would go in when the boss said to go in. After all she is the boss, and ignoring her is a form of insubordination. If she told you to go in later than I would do it. I might not be happy about it, but I'd do what she told me to do.
That's what I'm going to do. I guess I get paid for my 40 hours either way, I just feel like I'm cheating the owner because I have no reason why I couldn't go in at the assigned time, and now they are paying someone to work while my hours would've been free since I am salaried.