moving long distance/new kitty companions

olivia's mommy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all, This is my first post here.

I was wondering if anyone can help me. A little background info about my sweetie, Olivia. she's a fourteen year old tabby. Last year she was diagnosed with both thyroid and kidney disease. She's on medication and other than her weight loss (I just started her on perscription food), she seems to be doing well.

I'm in a long distance relationship and my man has two cats. they are brother and sister (both from the same litter) and they are five years old. We live about 600 miles apart. Eventually we are going to get married and it is most likely I am going to move to where he lives. I'm very concered over how Olivia is a) going to handle the move (it's an 11 hour car ride) and b)how she is going to adjust to a whole new enviroment with two new companions. She has never really been in the presense of other cats before, other than seeing a cat outside while looking out the window (she is strictly an indoor cat), and she usually hisses or runs away. She also shies away from most people and there are very few people other than myself who she feels comfortalbe around. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make the transistion easier for her? I appreciate any advice and comments. Thanks in advance!

salemwitchchild

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Could you try exposing her to more people and cats? Perhaps a friend closer to you that you could go see often to get her use to the idea of new places and new cats.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's a tough one. How is she for car riding in general? When we moved from Maryland to Minnesota I had to find my 10 yr old rex a home with one of my cat friends (who had elderly cats) - she would have never survived the ride. She threw up within 5 mins of riding in a car. Our other rex, Spooky who was a seasoned show cat was fine.

How big is your bf's house? Is there a room where she can more/less stay by herself most of the time? Since she's never been around other cats, she may have a harder time adjusting to things. A room of her own would probably be the best thing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

olivia's mommy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by SalemWitchChild

Could you try exposing her to more people and cats? Perhaps a friend closer to you that you could go see often to get her use to the idea of new places and new cats.
it would be easier to expose her to more people. Cats it's a bit difficult as I don't have any friends close to me who have a cat.

thank you for the suggestion.

olivia's mommy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

That's a tough one. How is she for car riding in general? When we moved from Maryland to Minnesota I had to find my 10 yr old rex a home with one of my cat friends (who had elderly cats) - she would have never survived the ride. She threw up within 5 mins of riding in a car. Our other rex, Spooky who was a seasoned show cat was fine.

How big is your bf's house? Is there a room where she can more/less stay by herself most of the time? Since she's never been around other cats, she may have a harder time adjusting to things. A room of her own would probably be the best thing.
Hi GoldenKitty

Olivia seems to do ok in the car. When I take her to the vet, she'll meow a little but doesn't seem too traumatized. I don't know how she would fare on a long car ride, but leaving her behind is just not an option.

My boyfriend lives in an apartment, and it is rather nice sized. There are many spots where Olivia could be alone if she would like.

thank you for the input.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just take the introductions slower then you normally would. Most females take longer to get used to new cats to start with; let alone being older too. If she prefers to be by herself, let her - don't try and force her to socialize with the others. Good luck and best wishes.

My DH and I met on the internet and dated 18 months long distance before I moved

olivia's mommy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Just take the introductions slower then you normally would. Most females take longer to get used to new cats to start with; let alone being older too. If she prefers to be by herself, let her - don't try and force her to socialize with the others. Good luck and best wishes.

My DH and I met on the internet and dated 18 months long distance before I moved
Thanks....my dbf and I met on the internet as well.