GURRRRRRRRR! I hate blood work nurses!!!!!!!!!!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
UHH! If i never have another blood test again it will be too soon! I am furious!
Today i went to the doctor for my physical/drug tests for my new job at the animal shelter. Since it is owned by the city- the city requires a physical/drug test for hiring. Well after sitting there for over an hour and a half because people seriously can't organize and go down a list....they finally called me back. When i first got there the receptionist was really rude- right off the bat i didn't get a good feeling about that place.It takes them 10 minutes of arguing among themselves (very professional
) before deciding which doctor would see me and what tests i needed. I waited in the room yet another hour- the room was 1/2 dirty and just didn't look clean. When the doctor finally came in - he was sort of nice so that was good. He spent about 3 minutes with me before passing my physical. Then i had to wait another 1/2 hour for them to do my blood/urine test. (There was nobody else in line! They were all just sitting there talking!) When i did the urin test, afterwards i tried to wash my hands- the sink didn't work!
What is the deal! (Thank goodness for hand sanatizer
) After that came the "best part". The blood work. To start with i was nice and told the nurse that my veins might roll just to warn her. She was like "oh i can get it the first time, i didn't need to know that." - she was such a heifer! The stupid woman stuck me 5 different times - NEVER hitting a vein!
After the 3rd failure- i told her to stop and that i would prefer another person try to draw my blood. There was nobody else in the office she said so she had it. (the ONLY reason i stayed is because i need the job and they require a blood test before they'll officially hire you.) The 5th time that she devil stuck me- i looked down and completly fainted. (did i mention she didn't even hit a vein that time eithor!
) I saw the needle and just fainted. She was not gentle at all eithor! She is by far one of the worst people i have ever had try to draw my blood. When i finally woke up (i don't think i was out but for a moment or two) the doctor was standing there asking if i was ok and what happened. I told him that the nurse had stuck me 5 different times without hitting a vein and i passed out. He told her to try one more time- on the 6th darn time that idiot finally hit a vein! Right on top of my hand- it is soo painfull there- it wouldn't have been to bad had she been gentle- but that heifer didn't know the meaning of the word "gentle" There are 6 darn bandaids all over my hands and arms and they are just throbing to death right now.
I will NEVER EVER go through this for a darn job again- it's not worth it! I BETTER get it after all this darn pain. I was initially thinking of moving my primary care doctor to that practice since it's right across the street - after that 'lovely' experience, the rude nurses/assistants, the dirty looking office, and the really long wait- there is no way i will EVER go back to that aweful place! Uhhh i HATE blood work nurses!
What a delightful way to start the day off with!

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry, Nikki.
what jerks! I'd be pretty upset, too and I would change doctors. I really hope you get the job as well after all that!

this is for them!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Miagi's_Mommy

I am so sorry, Nikki.
what jerks! I'd be pretty upset, too and I would change doctors. I really hope you get the job as well after all that!

this is for them!!
Well- he's not my doctor really- i have never been there before today. I had to go there because that's where the City sends all of their employees for medical testing before hiring them. I will definitely NOT be going back there. My arms hurt so bad i wanna cry right now. That- and the fact that i fainted there....not good things. I swear- i wanted to stab that evil nurse with a bunch of needles too and show her how it feels!
The whole time i was there i just wanted to leave or put a face mask on - everyone in there was sick but me- i swear i've never used soooo much of my hand sanitizer in my life
Uhhh man- that is the worst doctors appointment i've hand in quite a while. The doctor himself was pretty nice- but the overall practice was just a nightmare. Uhh! Thanks for letting me vent Krista

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MoochNNoodles

Oh my gosh that is disgusting! I'd be sick and pass out too! Just disgusting!
It was aweful
I have 6 bandaids all over my arms/hands- i look like i got mauled by some ferocious animal ....or stupid blood nurse!
They really really hurt too. I'm going to have some NICE brusies all over me now
I have Vertigo- it's controled with 3 1/2 pills of diazepam a day- without it i pass out/ black out/ faint/ have dizzy spells/ and my tinitious acts up. Usually with my medicine it's controlled really well- but man- when i get freaked out like that- i just faint. The 5th darn time she was trying to stick me , i accidently looked over and saw the needle (i was already stressed out and my heart was going 90 miles an hour) so i just fainted and passed out cold in the chair. To make matters worse- when i finally woke back up they still had to stick me one last time
I wanted to strangle that aweful nurse! Uhhhh!

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sorry that you had such a bad time with the nurses, I am glad that my veins don't roll like yours, I do like giving blood.

I am sending you some hugs and prayers from Mississippi, I hope you and your arms feel better soon.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That just plain stinks Nikki! You shoud've whacked that nurse in the face....heifer is a good term for her!

to you....I hope the bruises aren't too nasty & you feel better soon!

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
From someone who recently had to give up 11 vials of blood for various tests, I both feel and share your pain. If you can tolerate it, Advil is a wonderful thing. So is soaking in a nice, warm tub of water treated with your favorite good-smelling stuff. Do something nice for you - after everything you've gone through, the animals you plan to help would say you deserve a treat.

And if no one has said this to you - thank you for your sacrifice so that the shelter animals will have a caring soul to help them.

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you get the job you should go back there and slap the snot out of that nurse.
(or at least tell the doctor about her horrible behavior.) What a cow.

silentnate

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry to hear about this- I always fancied myself as a phlebotomist and I'm sad to hear that the poor nurse did such a bad job

Have a hug from Epona and I

sandtigress

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I certainly hope you get the job after all that! Maybe if you show up to the shelter with all those battle wounds, you'll get sympathy points
At the very least, they'd know you're one dedicated worker! I'm lucky - at my hemotologist's, the nurse is really great and uses the smallest needles possible to draw my blood -so much better than the huge nasty things they used at the on-campus clinic here! Feel better soon!

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have heard that from so many people..having trouble with the bloodwork nurse. They can never find a vein and keep jabbing..Its not pleasant!

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh man that sucks. I only have one really good vein so if they can't get it the second try, I demand someone else or I tell them I'll come back when they do have someone else. I sure hope you get the job after all that!

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sucky!
I guess I'm blessed, the lab tech that I deal with regularly (I get blood draws anywhere from 1 to 5 times a month for a drug study I'm on) is such a joy.
I warned her of my rollers so she immediately got out the tiny butterfly.
Takes a little longer to get the two-four tubes drawn, but no misses or bruising.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I always bruise very badly no matter how gently or easily the phlebotomist takes my blood, but I've had blood drawn twice in the last month and both times were excellent (of course I stiull bruised though
), sorry you had such a crappy experience

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
oh i know what you mean i had to get iv meds once and the nurse did NOT listen to me when i said my veins roll..7 stick and digs later i was bawling, crawling walls and demanded to just be let go without the meds. I would not be stuck anymore. period.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i am sorry sounds you had a very bad time there.
from what you said you where far more nice, about things then i would have been after a few min.

when do you hear back about the job?

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You poor thing! That's so harsh!

I have a friend who is a nurse and specializes in hard-to-find veins. She makes really good money and can pretty much choose her hours. I wish more people had her gift.

I hope you don't have a lot of bruises, and that you get the job after all that!

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Nikki, I feel your pain. I inherited those roll-away veins from my mother (who suffered terribly when they were doing chemo all of the time). If they don't know what they're doing, it is just a nightmare as they keep sticking and sticking and then I get light-headed though I haven't passed out yet. The worst was one who was supposed to fill a vial and all she got from each stick was a couple of drops. Took forever. I'm glad that my HMO has some decent ones as I have blood drawn every couple of months to monitor my thyroid and cholesterol. But even then, I don't give them my left arm because they never can find a vein.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gayef

From someone who recently had to give up 11 vials of blood for various tests, I both feel and share your pain. If you can tolerate it, Advil is a wonderful thing. So is soaking in a nice, warm tub of water treated with your favorite good-smelling stuff. Do something nice for you - after everything you've gone through, the animals you plan to help would say you deserve a treat.

And if no one has said this to you - thank you for your sacrifice so that the shelter animals will have a caring soul to help them.
Thankyou Gaye
I appreciate that a lot! I took some tylenol rapid release a minute ago and i am about to take your advice and take a warm bath to soak my arms. OMG i thought it was bad earlier- i am SOOOO sore i can bairly life them. It is so darn painful
I took 5 of the bandaids off a minute ago and about died- she didn't even use the gentle bandaids! Uhhhh she was such a heifer! There are soooo many bruises on my arm that i now look like a druggie
That's always nice! They're massive welts with brusises around them
I left the one on my hand (the 6th one- the one she was actually able to draw blood from
) on my hand for right now- that one is hurting really bad- i'm going to try and take it off when i soak my arms in the tub in a minute. Colin said he really thought i had the job (he's a city employee too- he's a cop) so he had to go through the same tests- they only test the people they've hired according to him. I cought a glimpse of the paper today that had the expenses of the tests listed for the city to pay it was about $90 worth of stuff- surely they wouldn't have spent that amount of money on me medical wise if they didn't plan on hiring me right?

Originally Posted by jugen

If you get the job you should go back there and slap the snot out of that nurse.
(or at least tell the doctor about her horrible behavior.) What a cow.
Oh the doctor had a nice word with her- i passed out the 5th time the she deamon tried to stick me- when i came to, the doctor was standing there chewing her out and asking me if i was ok.

Originally Posted by silentNate

Sorry to hear about this- I always fancied myself as a phlebotomist and I'm sad to hear that the poor nurse did such a bad job

Have a hug from Epona and I
thankyou for the hugs

Originally Posted by theimp98

i am sorry sounds you had a very bad time there.
from what you said you where far more nice, about things then i would have been after a few min.

when do you hear back about the job?
I have to call tomorrow to get my results and talk to the city then i should know something. As soon as i find out i'll let ya'll know!