Radio question of the day: 02/19/07

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No. While I do go to church, I'm not sure that I believe everything I hear.

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not to sound rude, but I'll be giving up what's left of my sanity. Lent is the busiest time of the year for us, I'll be pulling my hair out every Friday.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Nope! I was raised Catholic untill about the 2nd grade and we did back then. Since then we've attended a non-denominational Christian church so no more lent. I do miss the good fish fries all over the town where I grew up though!

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not religious so I don't give anything up. I used to try to when I was a kid but it never lasted long.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I give up the same things every year-Black licorace, Scotch and brussel sprouts.
I know its hard but I seem to make it through ok.
Lots of places serving more fish frys though (YUM!!!)

4badcats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I shall be giving up giving anything up this year.........I am rubbish at it and have the willpower of a flea

silentnate

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll enjoy a tasty pancake but as a lapsed Catholic I will enjoy testing anyone around me's faith by scoffing more grubbings than ever

I wish anyone luck over Lent (or Ramadan- which will be especially difficult this year in England as it hits more of the summer months) as it is incredibly hard to deprive yourself of anything in the modern world

sibohan2005

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lent is the 40 Days and Nights preceding the holy week of Easter. It is a time when those who practice the Catholic faith give up something for the full 40 days. Some people give up decadent things such as Chocolate or personal things such as giving up swearing. It is almost like a shorter version of a new year resolution.
I plan on donating my time to the locan animal shelter at least once a week. I have been putting it off for a while. I used to volunteer there when I had more time while in school.
The three traditional practices to be taken up with renewed vigor during Lent are prayer (justice towards God), fasting (justice towards self), and almsgiving (justice towards neighbor). Today, some people give up something they enjoy, and often give the time or money spent doing that to charitable purposes or organizations.