Is Anyone Fascinated By Abandoned Buidlings?

lnbandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is a strange question, but I was wondering if anyone else was intrigued when thet saw old, empty houses, chruches, etc.? On the favorite non-blockbuster movie thread, someone mentioned the film Session 9. I recently saw it for the first time and thought that the "institution" looked very familiar. I did some research, and found out that, indeed the movie was filmed at the Danvers State Institution, in Danvers, MA. There was a move to save this amazing complex, but most of it has now been torn down to make room for -guess what - apartments. Anyway, while doing my "research" I found a website that I think is very fascinating. I have always wondered about old buildings - especially from the 1800's - early 1900's- and what they were like inside, what their history was, etc. The photographer on this website specializes in going into abandoned buildings, schools, hospitals, even an old amusement park and taking photographs - he also gives the buidling's history and fate. This past fall he spent alot of time in England. The photographs can be beautiful, sad and eerie. Anyway, sorry for this long ramble, but for those of you who stuck it out, here is the link to Mott's website [URL="http://www.opacity.us/about/
I hope that you enjoy the photos and the history!

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's a very cool site. I love old wood, reclaimed or driftwood, and pewter, brass, iron, and copper... We don't have as many interesting old buildings in North America. Usually the old buildings have homeless people sleeping in them. But I saw some amazing buildings in Europe! Really amazing little castles that had fallen to ruin.

I seem to be drawn to old churches! Everywhere I've travelled, I always end up in the cathedrals.

Cheers, from
SwampWitch

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I work in the city where Session 9 was filmed, and got to see the outside of the Kirkebride building with my own eyes about 2 years before it was razed - my God what amazing architecture, and such a shame to have lost it to high-priced luxury apartments and condos!

Being a resident of one of the oldest cities in the USA, and one that has perhaps some of the most infamous history, I have always been a fan of "old."

I think the oldest houses in our city are pre-revolutionary, although we had a "Great Salem Fire" back in 1914 that wiped out more than half of the city, so what we have left is even that much more special!

I'll have to check out that link, thanks!!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I loooove old buildings abandoned or not too. Though the abandoned ones do take my immagination away to other times, to who lived there, how it was decorated, why it was abandoned, etc.

I live less than a mile from the historic district of our town. My town was established in the 1700's and we have some brick streets and the square where hangings and what not took place is still there. We call it 'the Green.' I need to walk it with my camera this spring and take some pics. Last year this developer tore down three historic buildings one weekend without a permit. He was mad becuse the historic preservation team didn't want them torn down. He's also about to tear down a restaurant built in a historic home, just outside the historic district. I have a word in mind for him.... Anyway! There are tons of old buildings and houses around there. Some are so tiny you can't imagine living in them. Some are crooked or leaning, but still in use and everything. I find them neat too!

I have a few old homes in my hometown that I'd like to photograph that are abandoned. I'd love to explore places like that!

barblynnp

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I love doing the same thing!!!! Before my husband and I were married, we found this old church that had been abandoned. We decided to "investigage" and went inside. It was very creepy! We thought it was haunted. We heard a very loud noise in the basement and then ran away! Here is a picture: (we thought that the yellow thing was some kind of ghost). I know we were young and stupid.

fred&nermal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm always fascinated by old buildings! I checked out this site. Very cool that Motts has dedicated so much time and effort to photographing abandoned sites. Those asylum shots are very spooky. I wonder if he works alone, or if he brings along a partner to help out. I would be a wee bit scared going alone to an abandoned asylum! Though he doesn't look like a scardy-cat in the photos!

Here is a direct link to the site:
http://www.opacity.us/about/

Thanks for sharing your interests!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lnbandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

I work in the city where Session 9 was filmed, and got to see the outside of the Kirkebride building with my own eyes about 2 years before it was razed - my God what amazing architecture, and such a shame to have lost it to high-priced luxury apartments and condos!

Being a resident of one of the oldest cities in the USA, and one that has perhaps some of the most infamous history, I have always been a fan of "old."

I think the oldest houses in our city are pre-revolutionary, although we had a "Great Salem Fire" back in 1914 that wiped out more than half of the city, so what we have left is even that much more special!

I'll have to check out that link, thanks!!
You will definately want to watch Session 9 - if you haven't seen it, yet. It was filmed entirely at Danvers State - you are so lucky to have gotten close to view the buildings! I used to live in Swampscott and Marblehead for years and that is how I knew of the place, but never got to see it - except from a distance! Yeah, what is it with our "mentality" that we just tear things down to make room for something "new"? Just wait, a few years from now everyone will be crying about the fact that this beautiful old institution was destroyed. You will also love the photographs that are posted on Opacity. Mott spent alot of time in the various buildings - I am not sure how he made it inside, but I will look forward to hearing what you think of the pictures!

lnbandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Fred&Nermal

I'm always fascinated by old buildings! I checked out this site. Very cool that Motts has dedicated so much time and effort to photographing abandoned sites. Those asylum shots are very spooky. I wonder if he works alone, or if he brings along a partner to help out. I would be a wee bit scared going alone to an abandoned asylum! Though he doesn't look like a scardy-cat in the photos!

Here is a direct link to the site:
http://www.opacity.us/about/

Thanks for sharing your interests!
THanks for the direct link - I just couldn't figure out how to make it "turn blue" with the underline thingy- can you tell I am a total computer illiterate?

As you start exploring Mott's postings, he does mention (at times) that he is with other people - some of the places are really quite dangerous !

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There's a lot of old homestead type houses around here, being a rural area. Many years ago I went onto the property of one really far out into the country. Half of it was gone, the walls had fallen over or in, rather weird to see just half a house standing that way. There was a lot of really old glassware around the area too, I made the mistake of attempting to take a bottle with me... within minutes of picking it up I got a horrible migraine that left me barely able to see. I left the bottle and the property
within a few minutes of leaving all traces of the migraine was gone, not a normal one by any means. A bit of a warning to those tempted to explore, you don't know what you may find.

As for the Danvers State Institution being torn down to make room for appartments, sounds like an awful idea. One can only hope the people moving in won't have anything too nasty to deal with.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lnbandcats

You will definately want to watch Session 9 - if you haven't seen it, yet. It was filmed entirely at Danvers State - you are so lucky to have gotten close to view the buildings! I used to live in Swampscott and Marblehead for years and that is how I knew of the place, but never got to see it - except from a distance! Yeah, what is it with our "mentality" that we just tear things down to make room for something "new"? Just wait, a few years from now everyone will be crying about the fact that this beautiful old institution was destroyed. You will also love the photographs that are posted on Opacity. Mott spent alot of time in the various buildings - I am not sure how he made it inside, but I will look forward to hearing what you think of the pictures!
I saw Session 9 YEARS ago. Which is one of the reasons I made it a point to at least get onto the grounds and actually stand on the front stairs. So I could say that I had. I didn't try to get in - by then (2004) there was just too much deterioration, and I didn't want to take the risk. It really WAS eerie, the building was so massive, so antiquated, so SILENT, yet echoing with the screams and cries of the lunatics that once lived there.

I'm looking at Mott's site now - really great shots! (He's a cutie pie, too!)

What is disturbing to me most are the comments under the photos from people who claim that the location of the hospital was where Salem's accused witches were hanged. There is a lot of misinformation being passed around by people that claim to "know" just because they read something somewhere once. Sad. Very sad.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Around here abandoned buildings typically are crack houses.

So no...I'm no longer fascinated by them because of that as well as there are just so many around here. I see tons just on my way to school.

barryz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am fascinated too - maybe too much as we bought one 3 years ago - a farm building from end 17, beginning of 18 century, and now trying to put it back to life. Seems that it will be the hobby of our lives.
The house wa abandoned by last 50 years when we got it, but we loved to ripp off all the later stuff like silly insulation and plasterboards inside and investigate the older layers - we even found the aintings on the walls.
It was complete disaster for two years but now we see the the light at the end of the tunnel

This is our launch now - I wish I would post "before" pictures, they were soooo "romantic"!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The house that we burnt down on Feb 10 was at least 100 yrs old. But since it was abandoned in the 60's the inside was in rough shape. Nothing worth salvaging!!. Just a few hundred yards down from this house though sits an abandoned schoolhouse-this used to be my FIL's property and actually Neil and his siblings attended this school!! It was decommissioned as a school in the 60's too. Its actually 2 buildings attached together. We removed the maple flooring from one of the rooms about 11 years ago and had it reinstalled in our kitchen/living room. When my in-laws where living they had the original school bell but one of my BIL's has it now. One of my SIL's bought the property and has most of the tin from the ceilings. Neil found the original shutters and we have one of them and we took all the doors worth saving out too. Unfortunately my SIL sold the property (we should have bought it) and the owner is now asking 10 times what he paid for it-without doing anything to the property.

lnbandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

I saw Session 9 YEARS ago. Which is one of the reasons I made it a point to at least get onto the grounds and actually stand on the front stairs. So I could say that I had. I didn't try to get in - by then (2004) there was just too much deterioration, and I didn't want to take the risk. It really WAS eerie, the building was so massive, so antiquated, so SILENT, yet echoing with the screams and cries of the lunatics that once lived there.

I'm looking at Mott's site now - really great shots! (He's a cutie pie, too!)

What is disturbing to me most are the comments under the photos from people who claim that the location of the hospital was where Salem's accused witches were hanged. There is a lot of misinformation being passed around by people that claim to "know" just because they read something somewhere once. Sad. Very sad.
You are so right about the misinformation. I think that on another posting that you mentioned that you lived in Salem. I really love that town - my ex-sister-in-law has a great,great,great aunt, g-mother? who was one of the "witches" burned at the stake - I know that Salem depends so much on the tourism $$$, but some of the stories, etc are really such figments of someone's imagination!
Yeah, Mott is cute - even though I am old enough to be (at least) his Mother!
I stumbled across Session 9 purely by accident, and then recognized the hospital and then wanted to find out what had happened to the hospital. I moved back to NH about 5 yrs . ago to take care of my Mom. I STILL miss the north shore, but, unfortunately, couldn't find an affordable place to buy when I was ready to relocate!

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lunasmom

Around here abandoned buildings typically are crack houses.

So no...I'm no longer fascinated by them because of that as well as there are just so many around here. I see tons just on my way to school.
crackhouses?

okeefecl

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ooh, I love the Opacity website. I have several of their pictures, including Danvers, as desktops at work.

I love the idea of urban exploration, but am too chicken to do it myself. Though, there are several neat buildings where I work I'd love to explore for myself.

ryanjay

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I love old buildings. Being in nj I always get the weird nj mags(ghosts, lore, and inside tours of different buildings...they also have books on the other states.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

crackhouses?
It's the term used around here for those abandoned houses used for people who want to do drugs, i.e. crack.

I never thought of it like a "cracked house" though