MY cat passed yesterday

orangetabgurl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am having a very hard time with all of this. I lost one of my cats yesterday. He was only months old. He died in my arms on the way to the vet. I thought maybe he was choking on something. I tried to get it out, but it was werid he didn't hack anything or seem in distress. There was a rubber band on the floor my other cat got a hold of and I took it away but now I am second guessing myself. I found Eddie lying on the floor with bad breathing ...all sweaty etc..I picked him up and tried to make it to the vet in time but he died on my lap. He was meowing and I tried to save him but something was sooo wrong. He was died by the time I got him to the vet. The vet said his heart felt swollen and it was mostly likely a heart attack. he was convulsing at the end. A part of me feels sooo guilty like I did something.....I feel sooo bad...I tried to get him there in time.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh how traumatic for you.

You did all that you could for your sweet boy.

RIP precious Eddie.

lnbandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do not blame yourself, you were trying to get him help. At least that poor little baby died while someone was holding him and loving him. Rest in Peace, little one.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry about your sweet little Eddie. Please don't blame yourself. Sometimes these things just happen and you did everything you could, trying to get him to the vet. I'm glad that you were with him, and holding him when he died. He knows how much he was loved.

Rest in Peace little one.

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my, I can only imagine the hurt & pain you must have felt
You did the very best to help your little boy
He is free from pain and running with all the other kitties over the Rainbow Bridge

RIP Sweet Boy, run to your new fur-family, there are some special kitties waiting to play with you

look down now and then, your mommy misses & loves you so

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry for your loss, at least you were there with Eddie and I think he probably felt safer with you holding him in your arms.

I am sending hugs and prayers from Mississippi for you.

4badcats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Bless you poor thing - don't blame yourself - you did right thing and took him to the vets - how sad he was taken so young - poor little Eddie -
to you

Sweet dreams little Eddie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

orangetabgurl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It has been a day and I am still soooooo upset...I have talked to friends but few undertsand my connection with animals. I was having a hard time with other things in my life, so this was just a bad time. If anyone has any suggestions on what it could have been please let me know. Like I said I thought he was choking but he did throw up a day before which wasn;t like him but I figured cats eat stuff and puke..LOL...I guess I feel like if he was choking he would have tried to hack it up.....but the vet said it sounded more like the last few minutes of a heart ache or stroke. He was a rescue, no medical history other than healthy. I suppose he could have had FIP and now I am soo afraid of losing my other cat how is a little older than him. He keeps trying to find him...This is not suppose to be this hard but I feel sooo bad and responsible to the point that I should have seen him sooner etc...

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't blame yourself, you did all you could. I am so sorry to hear of this and hope your pain will not last too long but we must grieve to feel better.

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by orangetabgurl

It has been a day and I am still soooooo upset...
its only natural that you will feel this way, our minds try to work out what has happend and the pain we feel helps us through the process

he did throw up a day before which wasn;t like him but I figured cats eat stuff and puke..
yes, you are right, cats can & do throw up for all sorts of reasons, that doesnt mean that we have to run to the vets just cos they are sick once, you did what was right and monitored the situation..........

the vet said it sounded more like the last few minutes of a heart ache or stroke.
I think that this is what you will have to accept as what happened to your kitty, other members may have some comments for you but a vets knowledge & expertise is ultimately where we can find the answers.

I am soo afraid of losing my other cat who is a little older than him. He keeps trying to find him...This is not suppose to be this hard but I feel sooo bad and responsible to the point that I should have seen him sooner etc...
I know all this will sound cliched, you are a loving & caring person and did all the responsible things that you could do....and you will continue to do those things for your other kit .......it will be hard, you will feel the hurt & sadness, grieving comes in many ways and in time will ease things for you

We are all thinking of you and you can always come here to download your feelings

Take care

lokismum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry, I know how traumatic this must be for you! You did everything that you could! Rest peacefully sweet Eddie, and play happily over the bridge!

christellize

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your loss. Take comfort in the fact that you were there holding him, I'm sure he felt better in his final moments.

It tears my heart to pieces knowing my cat died alone when I was on vacation. If it's their time it's their time, but what I would have done to be there with him in those final moments.

It's a hard loss and I'll be thinking of you.

Eddie was lucky to have you, and you him, even though it was too short-lived.

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

It has been a day and I am still soooooo upset...I have talked to friends but few undertsand my connection with animals. I was having a hard time with other things in my life, so this was just a bad time. If anyone has any suggestions on what it could have been please let me know. Like I said I thought he was choking but he did throw up a day before which wasn;t like him but I figured cats eat stuff and puke..LOL...I guess I feel like if he was choking he would have tried to hack it up.....but the vet said it sounded more like the last few minutes of a heart ache or stroke. He was a rescue, no medical history other than healthy. I suppose he could have had FIP and now I am soo afraid of losing my other cat how is a little older than him. He keeps trying to find him...This is not suppose to be this hard but I feel sooo bad and responsible to the point that I should have seen him sooner etc...
I am still sending you hugs and prayers from Mississippi, please don't blame yourself, I am glad that you were there with him when he went to the bridge.

emmaline

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Don't feel guilty. This happened to my cat a couple of months ago. Remember he'll be greatful for you giving him a lovely home, even if it was only for a few short months.