Some good news....and some bad news

maddensmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
On Valentines day, my Dad went in for all of his tests to see if the Chemo and other treatments worked or not.

Here's my original thread if you don't know what I'm talking about:

http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...ght=update+dad

In that post I compared his disease Amyloidosis to melanoma, and what I meant to say was Myeloma.

Anyway, the doctor said that it was NOT in remission.
So thats the bad news.
The good news is that it has went backwards!!
The Chemo is also still working, so for right now, he's being closely monitered until May, and if nothing gets worse thats when the docs will decide if another round of Chemo and stem-cell transplants are necessary. We've all got our fingers crossed. This disease is very stubborn, but it can be treated. My dad is very stubborn too...hopefully he's more stubborn than it is!

His case is currently in front of a panel of 12 doctors, so thats reassuring. It may also be published in medical journals. Doctors all over the world are requesting his file because, in the words of the doctors, he should have been dead before they found it. He's doing well though, feeling well and is even back to work now.

So I guess its just a case of hurry up and wait for awhile. Thanks to all of you who sent your prayers throughout this. While it may be far from over, it is comforting to know that we are at least making progress.

foxfire

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm glad to hear the good news. Serious illnesses change your life in ways you would never think possible. I fervently hope that this will help your relationship with your father. I hope that it will change him for the better.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maddensmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by foxfire

I'm glad to hear the good news. Serious illnesses change your life in ways you would never think possible. I fervently hope that this will help your relationship with your father. I hope that it will change him for the better.
Thank you!

I actually meant to update that part too. Its been over six months since all of this has taken place. My Dad and I have a better relationship now than I think we ever have. I'm still weary of trusting him too much, but we're working on it. We talked it all out, and now talk at least once a week and see each other often. Huge improvement considering there was a time I didn't see or speak to him for several years. We are getting to know each other, and working on issues that cause us to take a step back. We're getting there. I hope that his change is wholehearted and that this will continue even after he is well. We've both put a lot of effort into it! I'm proud of myself, and I'm proud of him. I'm not so scared to talk to him about things anymore, and he is more understanding instead of jumping to anger. I think this woke him up.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
{{{Vibes}}} that your dad may continue to get better!
I'm glad you two finally have a good relationship!

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

{{{Vibes}}} that your dad may continue to get better!
I'm glad you two finally have a good relationship!
Exactly my thoughts, sending many hugs and prayers your way

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
it is so good that you are building a better relationship with your Dad - but sad that it has taken such a crisis to do it. A friend of mine was still at loggerheads with her father after several years estrangement, when he died suddenly a few months ago. and she cannot forgive herself for letting it drag on. I do hope the treatment continues to work and that you and your Dad have many more years to be happy.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is good news!! I am still sending many prayers for your dad and your family..Stupid cancer should get the heck outta there

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Many (((VIBES))) to your dad sweetie. I am continuing to keep him in my thoughts and prayers. And thats really good you 2 have been building a better relationship.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maddensmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks you guys!

I really wish that there wasn't this distrust of him in the back of my mind. I'm just really scared that they will get this all cleared up and things will go back to the way they were before. I really hope not. It honestly has seemed to open his eyes a ton. Even my step-mom and I are getting along really well, and we never had anything to do with each other before. I'm hoping that the trust issues will eventually go away. He seems like a totally different person.

Ya'll are right though, its really sad that it takes something like this to wake a person up. God works in mysterious ways sometimes though.

foxfire

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Maddensmom, if everything happened the way you described in previous posts, it's not surprising that it's taking a while to rebuild trust. Take your time.