my cat breaths heavily/possibly wheezing

ladycat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
well the title says it, he's starts breathing very heavy and making wheezing sounds. Only if he gets nervous or picked up but also goes limp like he's comfortable, but obviously not . Could he have asthma or just anxiety? He's had it for as long as I remember and is 4 yrs now and had him for 3yrs . I read that inbreeding can cause bob tail and extra toes too, he is suppose to be or looks like a snoeshow siamese, but has the bob tail & extra (though cute!)so I don't know if well he's inbred and that could have to do with it. ??????????????

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In all these years you've never taken him to a vet to find out what's wrong?

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our Dylan had a very serious respiratory infection a couple of years ago, and it took a couple of months to get rid of it. Ever since then, he's been a little wheezy, too, and he snores quite a bit as well. The vet says this is not uncommon, because a long-term infection can create scar tissue in the nasal passages that interferes with breathing.

So it may be something that simple -- but it also may not. I think you should definitely take him to a good vet and make sure he's not suffering or in danger...

stormy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree a vet check sounds in order. Hope it's nothing serious.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ladycat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I did go to a vet and bring it up not to long ago (I know I need to change vets, another story)
He couldn't find anything wrong with him but also it's not a consistant thing. like I said only when he's picked up or gets spooked or something.
I'll bring him to another vet

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Then it may just be his way of expressing anxiety through a chronically congested sinus condition or chest, but should still be properly checked out (by a new vet before it becomes a more expensive problem).

rane-kane

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by ladycat

well the title says it, he's starts breathing very heavy and making wheezing sounds. Only if he gets nervous or picked up but also goes limp like he's comfortable, but obviously not . Could he have asthma or just anxiety? He's had it for as long as I remember and is 4 yrs now and had him for 3yrs . I read that inbreeding can cause bob tail and extra toes too, he is suppose to be or looks like a snoeshow siamese, but has the bob tail & extra (though cute!)so I don't know if well he's inbred and that could have to do with it. ??????????????
Ladycat, my cat has the very same problem; I took her to the vet and he said she has Chronic Bronchitis. He said there's probably a lot of dust or something in our house she's getting in her system. But yeah she wheezes and everything just like your cat. Other than that she is a very energetic and happy cat but that might be what you cat has. We got her a humidifier and that seemed to work a bit. Read up on Chronic Bronchitis and see if it matches your cat's symptoms.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ladycat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
wow, well ceasar has about half of the symptoms of Chronic Bronchitis. He also sheds way more then my other cats (insanely) all yr round. I'm definetly bringing him in with in the next couple days. on top of it, it's very dry in our apt this winter so I'm sure that's not helping the poor guy. Also I knowticed as far as picking him up, it's only when he gets held like a baby that he wheezes

thanks for the advice

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It may be hard for him to breathe in that position, so try to avoid it, but do get a humidifier if at all possible - dryness isn't good for you either :-).