the wickedness of walmart.

panther pride

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Today me, my dad and his girlfriend and her kid went shopping at walmart, I useally dont like shopping for things with other people so I told them I would look at the fish and houseplants. It was depressing,all of the fish were in tanks filled with alge and overcrowded, I saw a dead dwarf frog lying on its back amongst living ones and immcampatable fish spiecies, Pacus, oscars, innradesant sharks for sale. I could smell decay like the water needed cleaning. There was one woman looking at buying fish, I talked to her about good first types for a 20gal, then told her to shop at a place that actually cares about the lives they sell. She told me she had a dragon fish once but it died, and was looing for another I told her dragon fish dont make good pets and are wild caught. At the plants section it wasnt any better most were cold damaged and stunted from no light, the plams had dry soil and dead/dying fronds. the jades were in soil so dry it didnt stick to the sides of the pot and the soil was of very poor quality plus they had out grown their pots .http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/ima.../angryfire.gif

It was depressing next time I go there I'm reading book at their bookstore instead of seeing animal life plant life suffering.http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/ima...s/rolleyes.gif

The cat and dog products were harts/ proplan,friskies,ect. Not one wet food I bet didn't have some kind of by product or pasesarive. one was said to bew all natural but it was perina. I think when it comes to animal food its very good to have a self centured mind and to be wary of what you feed you pet when it comes to diet.

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I've felt that way about Wal-Mart for a long time. I've been boycotting them for about 3 years, now. The more I learn about them, the more I doubt I will ever shop in any Wal-Mart again.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

panther pride

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yeah to that, big chain stores are all about money and only money go buy cat little or boxes from them but NOTHING else.

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Least they're changing over to green energy. That's the only good thing I have to say about any of the big-box stores.

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Actually, they've been under order to comply with environmental laws, and are currently being sued for not employing environmental practices that they're supposed to be adhering to. I believe, though, that they advertised or .. made it public that they're, in theory, complying with or making an attempt the go green. The truth of the matter is, though, they're still not in compliance and as far as I can tell from the articles I've read, it's a cover up/advertising scheme. If I can find any of the articles, I'll post the link.

graciecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I stopped shopping in Wal-Mart a long time ago.
I kind least of tons of reasons, but I won't bore you all to death.
One thing that really creeped me out...and I don't know if they do this in all their stores or just in the one where I live....but I went in one morning very early to pick up something and the employees and mangement were all in the front of the store doing some kind of chant.
It gave me such a creepy feeling...I felt like I walked into the middle of a cult instead of a store.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
WalMart sucks and every time I go there I get a headache. I hate shopping there with a passion and avoid it like the plague.

salemwitchchild

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Personally I don't find that their any better or worse than others stores I've been to. Especially pet stores. I do wish they would carry better dog and cat food but thats only because it would be convenient for me. I shop there and won't stop just because they have a few practices that are undesirable.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
On a slightly lighter note, it cracks me up how the BACKS of the employees' blue vests say "how can I help?". I have to laugh at that, because whenever I've needed help there, I have to chase them down...sometimes jogging to catch up. So it's appropriate that the message is on the backside of the vest.

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As far as their store itself, it probably isn't any better or any worse than any other store. That probably all depends on which Wal-Mart you walk into, and which stores you compare it to. There's obviously a large variable there.

The nice thing is, we have the freedom to do what we want here, so people are free to shop at Wal-Mart if they so choose. Every one is entitled to make that decision for themselves. I choose to boycott them because they are against or in violation of just about every single thing that I believe in. To me, they've definitely engaged in more than just a few shady or undesirable practices, but not everyone believes as I do, so that can't be an across the board answer for everyone.

breal76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I stopped shopping in Wal-Mart a long time ago.
Good for you! I wish more people would take lead. I HATE THEM! They are vile and discusting. I have heard some of the most outrageous acts of crime coming from this store. I wouldn't spend a cent there. I don't know how anyone in good concience can know what they do and still support them by shopping there.

The make me sick.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Panther pride

The cat and dog products were harts/ proplan,friskies,ect. Not one wet food I bet didn't have some kind of by product or pasesarive. one was said to bew all natural but it was perina. I think when it comes to animal food its very good to have a self centured mind and to be wary of what you feed you pet when it comes to diet.
I buy my boys' food there, and I am able to find wet food that is good for them (Meow Mix pouches, which MANY members here feed their cats) and dry food as well that doesn't have any by-products.

I don't have any sort of pet store around me closer than 45 minutes. I know people hate WalMart, but I don't, I've never had problems with them, and I'm able to keep my cats fed, and healthy from the foods I buy from them.
Just my opinion.

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've always been a little annoyed with them anyway. Most of the stuff I do is just groceries, etc. They don't treat their employees well either. Although I go 9 times out of 10 to HEB(our grocery chain). Petsmart here in Killeen is same way about their fish. They really don't know much about anything and all the tanks are connected so if one fish is sick, they all get sick. I have always liked Petco better even though they are a bit more expensive.

maddensmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

She told me she had a dragon fish once but it died, and was looing for another I told her dragon fish dont make good pets and are wild caught.
I won't go into the wal-mart debate. I can either shop there for my necessities or drive thirty minutes to the next town to pay higher prices for them, so I will continue to use wal-mart.
The wal-marts around my area though no longer carry fish.

Off topic, but I have to know....why did you tell her that Dragon Fish don't make good pets?? Admittedly, not for a 20 gallon, but they make just as good pets as most other fish, and they are a blast to watch and care for. As long as she was willing to accommodate the type of fish that she obviously wanted, I don't see any reason for them to be classified as "bad pets". As for one of your reasons being that they are wild caught, many, many fish in the hobby are wild caught because they can't be bred in captivity. Tons of freshwater fish are wild caught....almost ALL saltwater fish are wild caught, I don't see why that in itself would make them bad pets.
I'm not attacking you or anything, I'm just curious by nature.

Originally Posted by Duchess15

I've always been a little annoyed with them anyway. Most of the stuff I do is just groceries, etc. They don't treat their employees well either. Although I go 9 times out of 10 to HEB(our grocery chain). Petsmart here in Killeen is same way about their fish. They really don't know much about anything and all the tanks are connected so if one fish is sick, they all get sick. I have always liked Petco better even though they are a bit more expensive.
I don't know about your Petco store there, but ours is absolutely awful! Between fish keepers around here, the mantra is "don't buy fish at petco, or you'll have no fish left". They are always sick and run on one filter, its disgusting. I always wondered if all petcos were like that or if it was just ours.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Madden and I shop there for the same reason ,,, I get what I have to and shop for groceries locally owned stores but for most other stuff it is a 15-30 minute drive ////

Petcos around here have happy fish

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by babyharley

I buy my boys' food there, and I am able to find wet food that is good for them (Meow Mix pouches, which MANY members here feed their cats) and dry food as well that doesn't have any by-products.

I don't have any sort of pet store around me closer than 45 minutes. I know people hate WalMart, but I don't, I've never had problems with them, and I'm able to keep my cats fed, and healthy from the foods I buy from them.
Just my opinion.
This is the situation of a lot of people. Wal-Mart has made most other stores in smaller areas obsolete. It's impossible for people to shop anywhere that isn't there, without serious inconvenience to themselves. It takes a really strong conviction for someone to travel 45 minutes to get a "few things" just to avoid W-M. Effectively people in your situation don't have any choice in the matter. It's Wal-Mart or bust.

I feed mine ProPlan and they used to get Meow Mix packets. They really liked the Meow Mix packets. Now, I've sort of made the decision to stop feeding them wet packet foods like that because I read an article the other day that discusses what goes into them... ICK! But, I'm not doing it because I'm a brand snob.. I'm just doing it because I couldn't imagine feeding them that after I read it. But that being said.. I'm trying to switch them all to raw anyway.

Please don't feel criticized.. it's your choice (or perhaps it's not, considering the distance to other stores). I for one, of course wish everyone would boycott them because that's my point of view, but I don't want to try to force anyone else to do so. That is a decision people have to make on their own.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

panther pride

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I was reading up on Dagon fish Maddensmom and they are two types- One is the Asian arrowana which grows 40 inches or more and needs a tank of serval hundred gallons. The other is a bezare freshwater speices that is very difficult to get to eat and grows at lest 20 inches. A standed 20 gal is 24inches long.http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/ima...s/rolleyes.gif.

She said hers was thin when it died, and I rembered an artical about them in Aquarium Fish mag, saying they are very difficult to feed and maybe/might need brackish water.

maddensmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I was reading up on Dagon fish Maddensmom and they are two types- One is the Asian arrowana which grows 40 inches or more and needs a tank of serval hundred gallons. The other is a bezare freshwater speices that is very difficult to get to eat and grows at lest 20 inches. A standed 20 gal is 24inches long.http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/ima...s/rolleyes.gif.

She said hers was thin when it died, and I rembered an artical about them in Aquarium Fish mag, saying they are very difficult to feed and maybe/might need brackish water.
I am aware of what a Dragon Fish and an Arrowana (the TRUE dragon fish) is. I'm sure she was speaking of the more common regular old Dragon Fish which resembles a Bichur. These fish DO need brackish water in order to be healthy. I stated that a 20 gallon was too small for either of these species. The regular Dragon Fish is not hard to get to eat if you feed it the right foods and don't keep it with tons of food hogs in the tank. These are special requirements of this fish, just as other fish have special requirements to keep them. I keep Discus fish which can also be finicky about eating, require constant PERFECT water conditions and so on and so on, but just because they have special requirements doesn't mean that they are bad pets. Thats all I was trying to say. If she was willing to educate herself on this certain fish and accommodate its needs, then who are you to tell her that she shouldn't because they take some work and a bigger tank?

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hehe, all I know about fish is when I took Joyeux into the pet store the other day, she *really* liked the fishies. Until, of course, we were on our way out and she was fascinated by the water fall (which fed into a coy pond).. where she then *noticed* the Joyeux sized fish.. and freaked herself out. Meanwhile the little chicken wasn't even close and was completely safe.