Bad breath??? Is it her food?

x-ta-z

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Soleil sort of has bad breath. She is 6-7 weeks. I feed her several different wet foods. Nutro Choicce Kitten - the rest is normal wet (but according to direction suitable for both) Avoderm, Evolve and Eagle Pack.

When I got her (last Sunday) her stool was awful. Almost indigested and very smelly. Brought her to the vet (last Tuesday) and she got some banana-flavored deworming gel or somehting. Stool is normal now, but she has this really bad breath when she meows.

Anyone know why this could be?

Will be taking her to a vet next week as she still sneezes for no particular reason... but any ideas would be great to know!

Also, Any recommendations on what to look for in kitten food? I hardly find any wet "kitten" food (just Whiskas (which is a no-no for me) and this Nutro Choice).

Thanks.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
At seven weeks she is likely teething still.. between that and worms( yes worms can cause breath issues ) give her some time... was the natural choice what she ate when she came to you>>???

are the wets fish flavors?? one of mine gets horrid breath from fish

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by x-ta-Z

Soleil sort of has bad breath. She is 6-7 weeks. I feed her several different wet foods. Nutro Choicce Kitten - the rest is normal wet (but according to direction suitable for both) Avoderm, Evolve and Eagle Pack.

When I got her (last Sunday) her stool was awful. Almost indigested and very smelly. Brought her to the vet (last Tuesday) and she got some banana-flavored deworming gel or somehting. Stool is normal now, but she has this really bad breath when she meows.

Anyone know why this could be?

Will be taking her to a vet next week as she still sneezes for no particular reason... but any ideas would be great to know!

Also, Any recommendations on what to look for in kitten food? I hardly find any wet "kitten" food (just Whiskas (which is a no-no for me) and this Nutro Choice).

Thanks.
Have you seen the gargling dog TV ad? In the ad, a girl is passing by the bathroom and notices that her dog is in there using gargle to get rid of his bad breath. The ad then of course says that if the dog was using (whatever) brand of dog food, he would not have to be sneaking into the bathroom to gargle all the time. Funny ad, but probably does not help you. Alley is always climbing up on my chest to check out my breath and so I usually feel compelled to sneak into the bathroom to gargle. Anyway, there are supposedly foods out there to help dogs so I suppose there are some for cats, too.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Persi

Have you seen the gargling dog TV ad? In the ad, a girl is passing by the bathroom and notices that her dog is in there using gargle to get rid of his bad breath. The ad then of course says that if the dog was using (whatever) brand of dog food, he would not have to be sneaking into the bathroom to gargle all the time. Funny ad, but probably does not help you. Alley is always climbing up on my chest to check out my breath and so I usually feel compelled to sneak into the bathroom to gargle. Anyway, there are supposedly foods out there to help dogs so I suppose there are some for cats, too.
that is the strange thing she is on a dry food with dental care( I know my Zoey eats the same one
)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

x-ta-z

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

At seven weeks she is likely teething still.. between that and worms( yes worms can cause breath issues ) give her some time... was the natural choice what she ate when she came to you>>???

are the wets fish flavors?? one of mine gets horrid breath from fish
She was eating 'chef' when she came to me. Not sure if that is a known brand. But the pet shop said it was'n good. And yes some are fish flavored.

Yesterday she started preferring to eat Singa's nrmal wet (Fussie Cat and Tiki Cat). Is it ok for her or mus I insist she eats wet suitable for kittens? (Hard to insist with a little stuborn head like Soleil
but I could try)

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Make sure she gets some kitten wet but tiki at least I beleive is an all stage but make sure it says complete and balenced not just supplemental

the food switch could be aiding the icky breathe... see she was on a food with lots of by products colors etc

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When Bakker was a kitten his breath was bad too. However he had a bit of gingivitus which most likely caused most of his breath issues. (inflamed gum line). Kitten can get bad breath from teething however can grow out of it too.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Bijou has bad breath too. His teeth look great and he has his annual exam complete with stool sample and worm checks. I just figure he is prone to bad breath just as some people are more prone to bad breath than others.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

Bijou has bad breath too. His teeth look great and he has his annual exam complete with stool sample and worm checks. I just figure he is prone to bad breath just as some people are more prone to bad breath than others.
i'm glad to hear that, because i'm taking Chip to the vet soon to have his teeth looked at because of his breath. i can't see anything wrong - they look fine to me. but the only other cat i've ever had with bad breath had bad teeth that were causing it.
that Chip's problem is the same as Bijou's!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

i'm glad to hear that, because i'm taking Chip to the vet soon to have his teeth looked at because of his breath. i can't see anything wrong - they look fine to me. but the only other cat i've ever had with bad breath had bad teeth that were causing it.
that Chip's problem is the same as Bijou's!
I will say I noticed his breath wasn't as bad before I started feeding wet food. But, since wet food is better for his health, I'll put up with the bad breath.
I mean, heck he only licks my eyelids and cheeks before bed.

aussie_dog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My Buffy has hideous breath, but it's just how she is. Her teeth and gums are fine, she's tried many different premium foods, the only thing that ever helps her is those kitty breath mints (which she inhales down like kitty crack, lol). Some kitties just have natural bad breath, but if it's not normal, it could be from either an infection in the gums or bad food. Teething kittens will have bad breath, too, as mentioned earlier, since the teeth are loose and coming out of the gums.