Favorite non-blockbuster movies?

emily_325

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The worst movies ever thread made me go through our movie collection. I saw several in there that made me think, "I wonder if they've ever seen THAT one?" Here's a list of movies that I LOVE that I feel most average Joe movie watchers probably didn't watch that I would recommend:

1. The Station Agent (This movie is all about loneliness and friendship. It's wonderful.)
2. Cube (gotta love obscure horror)
3. The Shape of Things (the psychology student in me LOVED this one)
4. Saved! (a different look at religion)
5. Moscow on the Hudson (often ignored Robin Williams film)
6. Julian Po (Christian Slater!)
7. The Salton Sea (Val Kilmer in what I see as his best role next to Real Genius)

Seen any of them? Have any to recommend?

salemwitchchild

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I saw Saved on HBO. It was OK for a late night boredom movie.
Lets see. Movies I have that were not a big hit...

Sheena (may have been a hit, don't remember)
Cleopatra (90's remake)
Jakob the liar (this has Robin Williams in it. Very funny actually. Walmart 5 dollar special)
Highlander 2-People hated this one. not my favorite but I'm a die-hard highlander fan.

I'm sure I have more but these are just the few I can see from the couch..lol. i have over 300 movies in our collection.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

emily_325

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

One movie that I love is Saving Silverman..not sure if alot of people have seen it, but its hilarious.
A lot of people hated that movie but I LOVED it. Amanda Peet was great. And who can hate a movie with all that Neil Diamond music and sparkley shirts?

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Grosse Point Blank was great!

One of our favorite movies that has pretty well reached cult status now is The Professional, though you should get Leon: The Professional which is the European, uncut version. It's about a hitman (Jean Reno) who takes in a girl (Natalie Portman in her first real movie role) whose whole family was killed, and he teaches her how to be a hitman too so she can take revenge on the man who ordered the killing (Gary Oldman). It's so good!

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by emily_325

A lot of people hated that movie but I LOVED it. Amanda Peet was great. And who can hate a movie with all that Neil Diamond music and sparkley shirts?
I know, it is just the silliest movie..That is totally my sense of humour..I am LOL right now just thinking about it

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

emily_325

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by valanhb

Grosse Point Blank was great!

One of our favorite movies that has pretty well reached cult status now is The Professional, though you should get Leon: The Professional which is the European, uncut version. It's about a hitman (Jean Reno) who takes in a girl (Natalie Portman in her first real movie role) whose whole family was killed, and he teaches her how to be a hitman too so she can take revenge on the man who ordered the killing (Gary Oldman). It's so good!
I LOVE that movie, and yes we have the European version in our collection. I almooooost added that one to my original list.

wookie130

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, most of the movies I love aren't blockbusters.

I ADORE:
*Dancer in the Dark (with Bjork)
*Swimming Pool (the one with the Engish author that goes to her publishers home in France to write her mystery novel, and clashes with the young French daughter...)
*Secretary (with Maggie Gyllenthal...WORSHIP THIS MOVIE)
*Reality Bites
*High Fidelity
*Employee of the Month
*Office Space
*Session 9 (with the Scottish dude, and David Caruso...FREAKY movie!!!)
*The Changeling (with George C. Scott)
*The Exorcist 3 (with George C. Scott)
*Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas
*Way of the Gun
*Sleeper (an old ridiculous Woody Allen film)
*The Magdalene Sisters

Those are just a few of mine!

wookie130

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I loved Saving Silverman too!!! It was hilarious!

I really do love just about anything Woody Allen. I'm kind of obsessed with his films, my all-time favorite being Annie Hall, although at the time, it would have been somewhat of a blockbuster.

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hm... my favourite non-mainstream movies would be: Waiting..., Sybil, Mean Creek, The Machinist, The United States of Leland, and Enduring Love.

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by emily_325

The worst movies ever thread made me go through our movie collection. I saw several in there that made me think, "I wonder if they've ever seen THAT one?" Here's a list of movies that I LOVE that I feel most average Joe movie watchers probably didn't watch that I would recommend:

1. The Station Agent (This movie is all about loneliness and friendship. It's wonderful.)
2. Cube (gotta love obscure horror)
3. The Shape of Things (the psychology student in me LOVED this one)
4. Saved! (a different look at religion)
5. Moscow on the Hudson (often ignored Robin Williams film)
6. Julian Po (Christian Slater!)
7. The Salton Sea (Val Kilmer in what I see as his best role next to Real Genius)

Seen any of them? Have any to recommend?
The only one of these movies I've seen and in fact the only movie from this list I've ever heard of is: Moscow on the Hudson.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cube was great! I also enjoyed Saved, although it's not the sort of thing I usually watch, I found myself really enjoying it.

Others that I like:

Brazil
The Milagro Beanfield War
Cradle Will Rock
Land And Freedom

I actually think that most of the films I like are non-blockbusters, I could be here all day so I'll leave it at that!

silentnate

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Labrinth- (spanish language movie about the Spanish Civil war)
Land and Freedom- (english/spanish language movie about Spanish Civil war)
But I'm a Cheerleader- (movie about the Spanish Ci- no, only kidding, movie with similar plot to Saved, not for homophobes or Rebublicans)

Shuan of the Dead- romantic comedy with zombies, hilarious (the makers of this have a new movie out called Hot Fuzz, an English spoof on action movies)
Secretary- rather rude film which looks at underlying issues unsuitable for a PG message board

Audition- Japanese language film, scariest movie made. End of.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to the Dollhouse
This movie is as heartbreaking as it is funny. The ending is a little weird, but it's one of my non-mainstream favorites.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0114906/

Very Bad Things
A very dark comedy, but too funny for words.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0124198/

A Boy and His Dog
This a a weird one, and I can see why a whole lot of people don't like it. I think it's the best buddy film ever made. Most women don't like it.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0072730/

The Audition
The scariest movie I've ever seen. This one will just stay with you for weeks.
http://www.lovehkfilm.com/panasia/audition.htm

City of Lost Children
This is a masterpiece. If you love foreign language films you MUST see this movie. It's amazing.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0112682/

silentnate

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I loved Welcome to the Dollhouse- reminded me that I should have included Little Miss Sunshine as it is also a very funny independent movie

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by valanhb

...One of our favorite movies that has pretty well reached cult status now is The Professional, though you should get Leon: The Professional which is the European, uncut version....
CAUTION: SPOILER!
I loved The Professional until the ending... wasn't Leon supposed to turn around and become a solid citizen?

I see you are a fan of assassin movies, also...

kittenkiya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Legend
Willow
Time Walker
Flight of the Navigator
The Mafia
Hot Shots I & II
Baby Genius
Baby's Day Out