Silly question.. Litter box..

raleigh'sparent

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey guys-

We just introduced a new kitten to our home..

1.5 year old Raleigh and the new girl 3 month old Pogue..

Well, Raleigh is on edge with Pogue in the house.. Hisses at Pogue but that is about it.. No fights - yet.. We just got her today.. Raleigh seems on edge with both my wife and I now, I assume since we have Pogue on us..

However, Pogue ate out of Raleighs bowl earlier today.. Raleigh also ate out of the dish, after Pogue..

Now, to my question...

Pogue used the bathroom in our only litterbox... Raleigh just used the restroom in the same litterbox..

Is this a decent sign of Raleighs acceptance of Pogue?

We have not seperated them yet.. Pogue is sleeping on the couch.. Raleigh is wandering around the house.. We're wondering if this possible sign of acceptance is enough to keep from seperating them..

We don't want Pogue to sleep by herself in her new home tonight..

Thanks guys..

Jeff and Harley

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think Raleigh using the litter box is necessarily a sign of acceptance of Pogue. Raleigh probably just had to go.

I've never separated a new cat, but really wish I had when I got Lily over a year ago. She and Sparkle still hiss at each other. But Oberon gets along with both, never had a problem.

I think Pogue might feel safer in a room by herself tonight, but it's up to you. But I wouldn't take the litter box thing as acceptance by Raleigh.

Cheers, from
SwampWitch

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

raleigh'sparent

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, Pogue doesn't seem to have a problem with Raleigh..

Even when Raleigh hisses at Pogue, it's like it's not even happening..

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would definitely separate them, partly for the sake of a gradual introduction, and partly for Pogue's safety!

If Raleigh normally sleeps with you, he should not be put out in favor of Pogue, or he'll resent it for sure... but if he doesn't, you might sneak Pogue into your room tonight, if you don't want her to be alone.

But if Raleigh catches on that Pogue is in there with you... you'll have some splaining to do!

barblynnp

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

I don't think Raleigh using the litter box is necessarily a sign of acceptance of Pogue. Raleigh probably just had to go.
I agree. It's best to put the new kitty in a seperate room with food/water and liter box. Like a bathroom. It is going to take some time for your older kitty to get used to the new kid.

raleigh'sparent

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeh, I think we will seperate them tonight and try it..

I hope we have not ruined it by not seperating them yet..

Raleigh keeps checking Pogue out, like she wants to play with her, but she doesn't..

I was just sitting on the couch with Pogue sleeping next to me and Raleigh jumped up on the couch and when she smelled Pogue she jumped off the couch like Pogue had hissed at her or something..

She will also let me wife pet her (Raleigh) until she gets a wiff of Pogue on her, then she hisses at me wife..

So, basically..

We need to seperate them.. Then, take Pogue out and let her roam the house and put Raleigh into the room Pogue has been in, so Raleigh can get used to Pogue's scent.. Then reverse this, after a little while?

Then just let the door stay slightly cracked to let them "see" each other and see what happens?

Raleigh only hisses when Pogue gets near her.. They are both roaming the house right now and everything is "ok."

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Raleigh'sParent

Yeh, I think we will seperate them tonight and try it..

I hope we have not ruined it by not seperating them yet..

Raleigh keeps checking Pogue out, like she wants to play with her, but she doesn't..

I was just sitting on the couch with Pogue sleeping next to me and Raleigh jumped up on the couch and when she smelled Pogue she jumped off the couch like Pogue had hissed at her or something..

She will also let me wife pet her (Raleigh) until she gets a wiff of Pogue on her, then she hisses at me wife..

So, basically..

We need to seperate them.. Then, take Pogue out and let her roam the house and put Raleigh into the room Pogue has been in, so Raleigh can get used to Pogue's scent.. Then reverse this, after a little while?

Then just let the door stay slightly cracked to let them "see" each other and see what happens?

Raleigh only hisses when Pogue gets near her.. They are both roaming the house right now and everything is "ok."
My story. We brought Alley into the house and had her own private "safe" room set up for her with her own private bowls and litter box. I would then carry Persi into her room so that they could see each other and realize that the other was there. Next, I started setting Persi down in Alley's room and when Persi would try to go to her, she would hiss and claw at him. But I just kept bringing Persi into her room and Persi would get a little closer and a little closer until they finally were touching. At that time I let Alley out to explore the rest of the house. She avoided Persi but he kept after her and she finally gave in and quit with the hissing and clawing. Then I moved her bowls and litter box right next to Persi's and then removed her stuff entirely. They would both come to bed with us at this point but sleep on opposite sides of the bed. After a few days, this gave way to them sleeping in the same bed while touching. Now they are truly best of buddies, they play wrestle and chase each other all the time in fun. For my situation everything worked out very well although everybody's situation is different depending on the cats. Alley came from a dumpster in an alley and was used to fending for her self so I can understand that I had to proceed much slower than many other people have had to. Good Luck!

raleigh'sparent

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Pogue and Ral have been out in the house together all after noon..

I would guess that Ral has hissed at Pogue maybe 10 times.. I think this is going to work.. Ral is back to acting like herself.. Pogue is a happy little kitty..

So far, it's going ok..

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad they seem to be getting along ok. Just keep an eye on them so one doesn't get hurt! I've also seen it suggested on here to put a dab of vanilla on each one's chin, so they smell alike. You might try that.

raleigh'sparent

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeh, we have been doing the vanilla thing on the chin and on the top of the tail..