Several big problems...

alysbrangwin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm getting really upset and don't know what to do! Please help!

------------------------------------------

Background I am currently taking care of 10+* <see Problem #2 for more details> stray/ferals. I started back in Nov. 2005. I'm not allowed to take any of them indoors (we have 2 cats already, an 18 1/2 year old ith KD, late onset epilepsy, minor congestive heart failure, and arthritis, and other is a nearly year and a half old cat mom found in the middle of the street, crying, unweened, and couldn't locate a mother.)

Our yard has a chainlink fence, but they all can easily jump it. I have out 2 of the storage container with foam insulation winter shelters, but they go unused. I feed them twice daily, and because of the freezing temps, I've been putting out water several times a day. I don't have a job, so despite me wanting to get them spayed/neutered and shots, I lack the funds to do so.

There is only 1 No Kill Shelter in the area, but every time I've called, they've been full. There's I think 2 or 3 Kill Shelters, but they only have 3 days to find homes, and young kittens are IMMEDIATELY killed. (If someone was to call Animal Control on them, it gives cats less than 24 hours to live, where as dogs get 3 days.). I know of only one place that will rent out a single humane trap, it's a refundable $25 deposit per day. Even if I was to get it, I wouldn't know where to store captured cats while I get others. The Stray cat fixing place that I've seen advertised in the paper will only take groups of 5+ at a time, any sick cats, even if it's treatable, get put down immediately, and you have to have ALL of your neighbors sign a consent form stating they are okay with you getting the cats fixed and returned (which isn't going to happen as some are cat haters.) I do not know of anyone off-hand who wants a cat (even if as only a temporary home), and kittens listed in the paper are often in their for weeks or months.

-----------------------------------------
There are 3 groups, and they have some "faction" issues with each other.

Group 1 consists of Greyie. Had a little in the first week of May 2006 (2 were killed by a tomcat, 2 remain <see Group 2> ). Had a litter Late Oct. which apparently perished on Thanksgiving. Disappeared for a long while, appeared recently again VERY pregnant, gave birth TODAY. <See Problem #2>. She is the Alpha Female of the area. She currently resides in storage room under our back porch, which she shares with Group 3. She hisses at Group 3's kittens though if they get too close.

Group 2 ("The Herd") consists of "Boy Kitty" (one of the May litter mentioned above), his sister "Girl Kitty", "lil Grey Kitty" (orphaned litter from some time in June, which was found Mid-July by Boy and Girl Kitty, was taken in by Greyie til she abandoned them all in late August), and his sibling "Runt" (always been pretty tiny). Greyie chases them away on sight since she left them. Scruffy <see Group 3> scares them away from the yard, and all but "lil Grey Kitty" are terrified of Group 3's kittens. Those kittens will come up to him and snuggle and purr. They used to stay on our back porch until Scruffy showed up with her litter and chased them out. <Their current "residence" is Problem #1>

Group 3 ("The Brood") consists of Scruffy, and her 4 kittens who were born sometime in Sept. 2006 , "Rascal" (gets into alot of trouble), "Glutty" (is a glutton), "Stripey", and "Sooty". They currently reside in the storage room with Greyie. Scruffy doesn't get along with The Herd. The kittens seem to want to play with them, but all but one are terrified of them. The kittens are pushed around by Greyie, who's the one who led Scruffy to our food last Winter. The Brood are long hair cats.

All but Stripey and Sooty are friendly towards me. They will come up to me, want petted, do Figure 8s, and purr. Rascal and Glutty will often accept being picked up.

-----------------------------------------------

Problem #1 This morning when my mom was feeding the cats, a neighbor complained to her about The Herd. Apparently, they've gotten in through broken windows and have been staying in either their basement or garage (which is a separate building in the yard), supposedly spray in these areas, and make their dog bark (not that the fact that he's kept out in the cold nearly all day every day, on a very short teather plays a role.
). She said if they aren't removed from their property soon, they will call Animal Control on them and file charges. (Feeding strays is illegal here. Some areas even have law enforcement do a "shoot on sight" for stray animals.)

Problem #2 It's very cold outside (last week we had below zero temps. and/or several inches of snow.), Greyie just had a litter today. Her last litter died in temps warmer than this. I'm forbidden from taking any of them inside. The storage room as a light bulb, but no electical sockets (not that I have a heater nor the money for one.).
-----------------------------------------

I really need some help! I love these cats and seeing them die is ABSOLUTELY the last thing that I want to happen.

keith p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like you have a similar problem like I do, the only difference is you have way more cats than me and mine hardly leave my yard, and the fact people are allowed to shoot cats by you, very sad...

Finding homes for them is so hard when shelters wont take them, and the ones that do close to me are kill shelters. There are many people here from around the world, see if you can find any that live close to you and are able to help.

I keep all the papers of the cats that are fixed. If your cats are going into their houses then I guess thats why you need consent to return them.

About them coming and going, it's normal, just keep an eye on them and make sure you see them all, if any dont show keep an eye out for them.

If they are bothering your neighbors they have cat spray repellent on the market, if you purchased some of this and gave it to the neighbors so your cats wont bother them, I think they would be very pleased. You spray it around your house outside and the cats normally stay away from sprayed areas, it's safe too.

If you have any nice neighbors mabye they have traps you can borrow, or buy one in a store.

My grandpa made a wood cat house, really authentic looking and keeps the cats very warm. I think it's lined with straw inside. Know any carpenters in your family?

Good Luck hope you find some help!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Originally Posted by AlysBrangwin

Even if I was to get it, I wouldn't know where to store captured cats while I get others.
A useful storage is dog cages or exhibition cages. (cleaned of dog smell of course). They can be easily kept there several days. Igloo made of a a-side turned cardboard box, etc...
There is even one forumist here who told she uses to foster semiferals in such cages. She is very successfull, all these (over twelf now) did found own families to live with.

Cant you find somebody who would help you? At least with a warm cellar to have these cages in? Preferably if you could be a group who help you...
Write up posters or something and ask for people willing to help.

Try to tell your neighbours: when the cats are TNR-ed they will be MUCH lesser nuisance. So it is really in their own interest to help you to get them TNR-ed... And once neutered, they will be easier to adopt if someone will give them a try... But if they live nearby, they will kept revire against fertile homeless. It is better for the neighboorhood the homeless cats there are neutered then whole time coming new fertile cats...
Try to tell this friendly. Dont quarrel. The risk is they will shut off themselves from your arguments.

Are they religious perhaps your neighours? Tell them what the Good book tells us. About the shepherd who did himself great trouble to find the one sheep who went astray. This is a story of God and humans. Or of a parish priest and his willage. But where in the Bible is written it cant be read literally? Ie you should help animals? Not only these you do have at home, but also those who went astray and are homeless??
Perhaps you can make the priest in your parish to make a good sermon on this theme??

God bless you.
Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alysbrangwin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Anyone near Pittsburgh, PA USA?

Well, I try to use Vinegar to break things up if things get loud overnight in mating season, so maybe that would help the neighbors, but I don't know how long it lasts, nor if they'd bother. I don't mind having them HERE, it's just a few neighbors are getting unhappy over "visitors" since I can't control where they go.

I honestly can't think of anyone who'd have a trap. All neighbors fit into one or more of these catagories: really old, has young kids who are very loud, cat hater and/or dog lover, not too friendly and/or outgoing.

We've made two of the warm low-cost shelters that are often linked here, but they won't use it since it puts them too close to the group that chases them away. I'd love for them to use them, but they are too afraid to stay near the others.

The dog cages I've seen in stores are way above what I can afford, and seeing ads for used ones here are rare and they tend to go quickly.

I don't have a clue where to find anyone. I'm a loser who has no local friends, and there's no relatives or family friends who can/will take any in (I've asked already, and they don't know of anyone interested either), so I'm really screwed there. How would I go about doing that?

I'll try, but I know little of these people, not even their names, except I often can hear them arguing inside there home when I'm out feeding the cats in my backyard, and I feel that they mistreat their own dog...

mnjulz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Here are some places that may be able to help

Pennsylvania

Alliance for Philadelphiaâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s Animals
Castaway Critters - Harrisburg
Cats with No Name - Lebanon and Schuylkill Counties
For Cats' Sake - Richboro
Forgotten Felines & Fidos, Inc. - Germansville
FosterCat, Inc. - Pittsburgh
Fund for Feral Cats - Pittsburgh
Homeless Cat Management Team - Southwestern PA
Humane League of Lancaster County - Lancaster
The Hundred Cat Foundation - Centre Hall
In Care of Cats - Elizabeth
Northampton County SPCA - Easton
Operation Pawssible - Sligo
PAWS - Camp Hill
Peaceable Kingdom, Inc. - Allentown
Pet Solutions - Mercer (Serves Mercer County only)
The Safe Cat Network, Inc - Reading
York County SPCA - York
York County Feral Cat Coalition - York

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just want to send plenty of {{{{prayers and vibes}}}} that you get answers very soon
Please know that you are very, very special in even caring about these cats. TrixtersMomma has a very encouraging post about trapping 15 cats today, and getting them sent off for neutering
If you look at her earlier posts, you will recognize a situation very similar to yours - but with courage, dedication and TCS "board magic", she is giving those kitties a shot at a decent life.
My heart goes out to you - and bless you for caring about the neighbors' dog - poor guy, IMO, he does bark cuz he's cold, and tied up, and Lord knows what else

Please keep us posted on how things are going. With such a high kitten mortality rate, no wonder the queens are so territorial - such a sad plight

alysbrangwin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Out of the list, only these ones are near me

FosterCat, Inc. - Pittsburgh
Fund for Feral Cats - Pittsburgh
Homeless Cat Management Team - Southwestern PA
In Care of Cats - Elizabeth

The Homeless Cat Management Team listed is the place I mentioned in the first post where I'd have to get written permission from ALL the neighbors, they'd put down any and all with an illness (treatable or not), and when I looked into it I think it was in Nov. It was an outdoors clinic that only happened twice a month (one low cost, one free), you need an appointment, and there's a 5 cat minimum.

I can't remember for sure if I read about the Fund for Feral Cats being discontinued to lower the city's budget (which has a several Million $ deficit.).

The others I'm not familiar with at all.

I'll have to look into those places and posts tomorrow, it's 3AM, and it's getting hard to think straight. I'm having trouble sleeping and feel sick to my stomach with worry over my poor kitties...

Yeah, the poor guy can barely move and I've never seen him out for walks or anything.
It's sad waking up hearing him howling mournfully...

That reminds me, I went to where the newborn litter is, and as of Midnight Eastern US time there's 3 alive, and one not.

alysbrangwin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Current situation
Another of the newborns has died.

The neighbors refused to put any sort of scented repellant outside their home since they plan on buying new deck furniture and entertaining guests there and don't want to have to smell anything "disgusting".

Greyie kicked The Brood (Group 3) out of the storage room, so they were staying in the winter shelters. The neighbor forced mom to take them down, so now THEY are without shelter as well.

The only cats I've seen so far today are Greyie, 2 newborns, Rascal, Glutty, and Stripey. None from The Herd (Group 2)

alysbrangwin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
FosterCat, Inc. - Pittsburgh Currently not accepting any new cats.

Fund for Feral Cats - Pittsburgh Can't find anything on it, wondering if it is gone.

Homeless Cat Management Team - Southwestern PA Only TNR of entire colonies on certain days of the month. No placement services, and the neighbor will not permit TNR.

In Care of Cats - Elizabeth This number has been changed to a private number.

Animal Friends - Automated phone line, nothing on accepting animals on the options.

I'm running out of options here.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

FosterCat, Inc. - Pittsburgh Currently not accepting any new cats.

Fund for Feral Cats - Pittsburgh Can't find anything on it, wondering if it is gone.

Homeless Cat Management Team - Southwestern PA Only TNR of entire colonies on certain days of the month. No placement services, and the neighbor will not permit TNR.

In Care of Cats - Elizabeth This number has been changed to a private number.

Animal Friends - Automated phone line, nothing on accepting animals on the options.

I'm running out of options here.
Ally...the BEST thing to do is to get them all spayed/neutered and then focus on placing them. When you have a large colony..you need to stop the breeding first....because trying to find a place that will take in cats is a hard effort and can take a long time.

Many people I know with colonies of strays do not wait for permission from the neighbors..they just start pulling together whatever resources they can to get the cats fixed. Obviously the place that has advertized and requires neighbor permission is not the way to go...but have you even tried to approach local vets regarding any "free" spays/neuters that they can offer??

The City of Pittsburgh offers a program in which it will give out vouchers for part of the cost of spaying or neutering a pet. Pet owners who live in the city can qualify. Details: (412) 255-2036.

The Homeless Cat Management Team provides free spaying or neutering for feral cats twice a month. Details: (412) 321-4060, ext. 4.

alysbrangwin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How am I supposed to keep them away from the neighbors' property if I was to only do the spay/neuter route? They refuse to do anything other than call Animal Control. I have no cages, and unless I was to somehow come upon alot of free/cheap cages, and maybe try storing them in the storage room I have no idea how to get around their ultimatums besides try and find a shelter or foster homes, which I'm getting turned down left and right.

I have no idea how long I have until they call Animal Control and have them killed, from the sounds of it, not long at all, so TNR would just get them back on their property and then taken away and killed.

I'm almost certain I've read that vouchers have been discontinued. But, I'll check again.

Homeless Cat Management Team is the place that REQUIRES the neighbor permission.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

How am I supposed to keep them away from the neighbors' property if I was to only do the spay/neuter route? They refuse to do anything other than call Animal Control. I have no cages, and unless I was to somehow come upon alot of free/cheap cages, and maybe try storing them in the storage room I have no idea how to get around their ultimatums besides try and find a shelter or foster homes, which I'm getting turned down left and right.

I have no idea how long I have until they call Animal Control and have them killed, from the sounds of it, not long at all, so TNR would just get them back on their property and then taken away and killed.

I'm almost certain I've read that vouchers have been discontinued. But, I'll check again.

Homeless Cat Management Team is the place that REQUIRES the neighbor permission.
Alys....TNR may not keep the cats off the neighbors yard...but it will reduce a lot of the negative behaviors that oftentimes cause people to call animal control. You can't stop the neighbors from calling animal control, but you could ensure that no new litters are born. Have you checked with local vets to see if they know anyone that is conducting TNR?? They may have some ideas other than working with the group that requires the neighbors to sign off on it.

try and find a shelter or foster homes, which I'm getting turned down left and right.
I'll be honest...all the rescue groups I know are always FULL because they pull from kill shelters and there are plenty of sweet loving owner give up cats that need to be pulled. The only suggestion that I can suggest if you insist on trying to find fosters is to go through local papers or craigslist.

Katie

alysbrangwin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would PREFER to do it that way. One would think that taking care of any spraying problems by fixing, and shots so she doesn't worry about them being diseased, but I don't really know how accepting of this route she'll be. I'd love for this to happen, but never having talked to her ever before, I have no idea about her personality, whether she's open to compromise or if she's a "My way or the highway" sort of shrew. So, I'm trying to come up with as many options as I can to allow them to live. Having Animal Control (or anywhere else) kill them is the ABSOLUTE laste thing I want to happen. As much as it hurts, I have to look into all options available and try to come up with some solution that doesn't end in their death. It makes me sick to my stomach thinking I might have to turn them into a kill shelter, when I've raised 8 of them from before they were weened, and everytime I go outside, they all do figures 8s around my legs, and love being petted and purr loudly when I do so, but if worse comes to worse, that's a better option than immediate death.

I love them all too much to just sit there and shrug and think, what happens, happens. Taking care of them and seeing their happy faces every day is one of the few joys in my miserable life.

alysbrangwin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the link, but Philly is the complete opposite side of the state. do you think would they be able to refer me to someone in Southwestern PA?

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Thanks for the link, but Philly is the complete opposite side of the state. do you think would they be able to refer me to someone in Southwestern PA?
Worth a try....they may know another group that you can reach out to..they may even know a stray friendly vet.

Katie

alysbrangwin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
[Latest]
As of this morning, Greyie only has one kitten (a black and white short hair) yeft out of a starting 5. It was in the mid-30s (high) yesterday and in the 40s (high) today, so hopefully the warmth will stick around and it can survive in 40-ish degree weather with a mom sitting on it's head and my reheatable sinus relief pack (in a ziploc bag) to help warm things up in the box...

So far I've been told Animal Full Life Rescue, <I can't remember name, but in White Oak>, and Cat Sense Inc., all of which are No Kill Shelters can't take them.

Apparently the calls made to Animal Protects or Allegheny Valley (NKS), Animal Rescue League (low cost TNR), Critter Care Adoptions (NKFoster), Community Angel Network (NKF), Kiski Valley Cat & Kitten Rescue Inc. (KNS, low cost TNR, advice, and encouragement for caregivers), Paws of My Heart (gives low cost TNR program info.), Cats with No Name (low cost TNR), Animal Friends' Animal Birth Control (ABC) program, and Spay/Neuter Coordination Center (not much info on it), were made too late in the day, so I got no answer. Have yet to call Pet Solutions (low cost TNR) since all the other places were closed for the night.

Does anyone know of anywhere else that hasn't been mentioned yet that may be of help (generally places preferably with a 412 area code, and if need be 724.)?

I'm getting so upset over this that I'm getting afraid to go outside to feed them worrying that she'll see me and call Animal Control on them.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

[Latest]
As of this morning, Greyie only has one kitten (a black and white short hair) yeft out of a starting 5. It was in the mid-30s (high) yesterday and in the 40s (high) today, so hopefully the warmth will stick around and it can survive in 40-ish degree weather with a mom sitting on it's head and my reheatable sinus relief pack (in a ziploc bag) to help warm things up in the box...

So far I've been told Animal Full Life Rescue, <I can't remember name, but in White Oak>, and Cat Sense Inc., all of which are No Kill Shelters can't take them.

Apparently the calls made to Animal Protects or Allegheny Valley
(NKS), Animal Rescue League (low cost TNR), Critter Care Adoptions (NKFoster), Community Angel Network (NKF), Kiski Valley Cat & Kitten Rescue Inc. (KNS, low cost TNR, advice, and encouragement for caregivers), Paws of My Heart (gives low cost TNR program info.), Cats with No Name (low cost TNR), Animal Friends' Animal Birth Control (ABC) program, and Spay/Neuter Coordination Center (not much info on it), were made too late in the day, so I got no answer.

Does anyone know of anywhere else that hasn't been mentioned yet that may be of help (generally places preferably with a 412 area code, and if need be 724.)?

I'm getting so upset over this that I'm getting afraid to go outside to feed them worrying that she'll see me and call Animal Control on them.
Did you ask here:

http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/feral_cats/

There are a lot more members who conduct TNR on that site and may have ideas.

Katie