A little girl died last night...

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Last night Colin came home on what i thought was his break at about 3 in the morning. (he is temprorarily working the C shift from 10:30pm-6:30am until they can get him back on B shift). Last night he had a call around 11. (he's a cop- a good one, not a lousy one
) They got called out to the house of this lady. She had dropped her little girl
The little girl was dead when Colin and the other officer got there. We are all soo sad over this.The little girl was 4 years old and had severe medical problems. Her mom had won a settlement a while back (i'm not sure for what but i'm thinking eithor medical or divorce). All her mom did all day long was stay home and take care of her little girl- she was her life. The mom's live revolved around that sweet little girl- she was all she had, there was no husband/father in the picture just those two. Last night- when the momma was moving the little girl around the house so accidently dropped her. When she dropped her, it killed her.
The mom immedately called for help and Colin was the first on the scene. He said it was just heartbreaking.
That the little girl was severly handicaped to the point that she was like a vegetable- she couldn't walk or move around at all (that's why the mom had to carry her everywhere to move her.) He said she was just extremly fragile and the impact of the fall was just to strong for her little body
The Medical Examiners came out also and are doing an autopsey on the little girl. (i think that's standard protocall around here when someone dies in a home). (just to add- colin said he didn't suspect any foul play- just an honest accident) So maybe they'll know more later but until then they're pretty sure the fall is what did it. My heart goes out to that poor mom
Could we all keep her in our prayers today and send her some vibes. She is absolutely heartbroken and blaming herself. I feel so bad for her -it was an honst accident.
Colin came home around 3 last night to type up a report on the lap top about it and told me. He's been really upset all day over seeing that little girl like that. Would ya'll please send some vibes and prayers out to that mom when you think about this story. I can't imagine what it must be like to loose a child- especially one you've cared for around the clock non-stop for 4 years

salemwitchchild

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is very sad news. My heart goes out to the mom and colin. I know if I was that Mom I'm not sure I'd survive it.. Are they keeping her on a suicide watch? You might want to mention that to Colin.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh that is awful! The poor girl! My prayers are deffinately with her Mama.

I hope Colin is able to deal with this quickly. I'm sure he will never forget it totally though. My co-worker's husband had to do CPR on an infant before and he tells that story like it were yesterday and not about 30 years ago. That has got to be one of the toughest things about his job.

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My heart goes out to the mom and colin.
If I were that mom and she was my life I would be devastated. I hope she will find strength and be able to heal somehow from this sad heartbreak.

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG Nikki, this is so tragic, may God be with this woman
And Bless that little girl, but she is whole again and with God.

I don't know how Colin does it, he must see horrendous things, I give him and everyone that does this credit for what they do.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
That's horrible, and my heart goes out to the mother. To Colin, too, as cops see the worst possible things. for him.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh how awful. I can't imagine the pain she must be in..she is all alone now.
I am sending prayers for the mom.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry for this mom, and I can begin to understand how Colin might feel. He won't forget it, not ever.

I still remember a particulary traumatic situation as an L&D nurse..where when all was done the docs left and it was me and the no prenatal care, drug habit, living on the streets mom who'd just lost another full term baby. I will never forget her, or what happened, or what I said to her.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thankyou everyone. I really appreciate the vibes and prayers- i know even though i don't know the mom personally- all of those prayers and vibes will be hopefully of some comfort to her. I just can't imagine what she's going through
Colin said she seemed suicidal last night after the inital shock somewhat wore off -she talked about having no other reason to live because her little girl was gone and that's all she had been living for. Colin was able to call some of her family members- so they stayed with her last night and are keeping a close eye on her. Colin hasn't spoken about it much more today- but i told him if he wanted to talk- i was here to listen. It's definitely hard on him having to deal with and see death like he does as a cop- but it REALLY helps that his friend are cops also- they sort of cope together in a way- they talk about it and share stories- it keeps them strong. It's still tough though. I think it really hit him hard because just recently we found out i have pcos and might not be able to have kids.....when he saw that little girl- it just hit home how much he wants a child and how prescious life is i guess. That was his first time seeing a little child like that. He's delt with quite a few adults- but never a child. My heart and prayers still go out to that mom. If i hear any updates about the case, i will share them with ya'll- but i haven't heard anything else as of yet. I think the M.E. is doing an autopsey though so i'm sure they will make a definitive cod. (my guess is that when the momma dropped her, her neck or something broke. Colin said she was just extremly fragile - that if you looked at her wrong you could almost break her. It's just so sad that such a sweet little life was cut short like that.) But you know what i was thinking - at least now, that sweet little angel is in heaven- with a perfect body and is no longer in pain. In such a tragic and sad situation- that is definitely a good thing to know. If i find anything new out i'll let ya'll know. Till then- i know those prayers and vibes will be of some comfort to the mom. My heart goes out to her. I definitely can't say i know what she's going though but i am definitely praying for her. Her daughter was her world.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I can understand why the mother would be suicidal...the only thing she lived for, her young daughter...she prolly thinks she killed the girl, when she probably gave her more love than many mother's would have....she has got to be one of the best mothers in the world!

wookie130

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There just aren't words that can accurately describe what this mom is going through right now...NO ONE should lose their child. She's among the angels now...hopefully somehow she can bring some comfort into her mother's world, and assure her that this wasn't her fault, and that the child knew how loved she was.

Sending vibes to Colin and the mother.

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is so sad, I feel for the mother.

I am sending prayers and hugs for her from Mississippi.

I am also sending prayers and hugs for Colin, I am sure that is hard to see something like that and then try and do your job. Please tell Colin how very proud we are of him.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

I can understand why the mother would be suicidal...the only thing she lived for, her young daughter...she prolly thinks she killed the girl, when she probably gave her more love than many mother's would have....she has got to be one of the best mothers in the world!
I can't eithor. My heart absolutely breaks for her and i've never even met her. I cannot even begin to fathom carrying a child for 9 months then caring for it around the clock for 4 constant years only to have something like that happen.

Originally Posted by wookie130

There just aren't words that can accurately describe what this mom is going through right now...NO ONE should lose their child. She's among the angels now...hopefully somehow she can bring some comfort into her mother's world, and assure her that this wasn't her fault, and that the child knew how loved she was.

Sending vibes to Colin and the mother.
I agree
And you know i got to thinking earlier- i have worked with/watched kids since i was 13. I have worked in several daycares and as a private nanny- not to mention raised my great niece for the first 3 months she was born. Out of all those times- i only had one incident where i almost dropped a baby- it scared the devil out of me. It was my niece Taylor when she was about 6 months old. I was holding her in my lap putting some lotion on her (she was sitting up.) and she jumped a bit. When she did she almost fell onto the floor- i don't know how i did it but i cought her right in the nick of time. I about had a heart attack when it happened and blamed myself for almost hurting her even though it wasn't really my fault. Could you imagine that happening though but with a 4 year old little girl who weighs much more and is like a vegetable- her mom carried her around everywhere....i'm sure just the constant strain of carring her around all by herself all the time made her arms really tired. If it was that easy for my little 6mo niece at the time to almost slip out of my hands in a split second- could you imagine constantly carring a little 4 year old around like a baby- i can definitely see how her mum accidently dropped her....she could have easily slipped and dropped her or had a charlie horse in her arm and in just a split second it all happened. (i'm not sure how she dropped her - i didn't want to ask colin anymore questions today and upset him) But i'm just starting to think how easily that accident could have happened.:And that poor mom is blaming herself for an accident that could have happened to any of us. My heart breaks for her- she was there for that sweet little angel when her dad and everyone else in her life wasn't....she took care of her night and day like any good mum would- and now everything's changed for her in just a split second.

Originally Posted by LSULOVER

That is so sad, I feel for the mother.

I am sending prayers and hugs for her from Mississippi.

I am also sending prayers and hugs for Colin, I am sure that is hard to see something like that and then try and do your job. Please tell Colin how very proud we are of him.

I will
I always try to tell him every day how much he means to me and how much i respect him and am proud of him for the kind of man he is. Also- i'm not sure which other officer responded after Colin got there- but if you could keep the other officer in yoru prayers too- i'm sure he could use some as well- it's hard on all the boys seeing things like that on a regular basis.

clairebear

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That poor mom. She must be devestated. I'm sure she's blaming herself for what happened too. The poor woman. My thoughts are with her.

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

I agree. I'm sure there are other mothers out there who wouldn't help a daughter in that sort of state. The little girl's mother sounds like a great woman.
RIP little girl.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Today tops it all off.
As many of you know i'm a florist. I went in at 10 today to work and was supposed to leave around 4. I spent all morning designing and fixing butineers/corsages for a huge daddy/daughter dance one of the local schools was having. Well...around 2 i got a phone call. It was from a lady wanting to know if we did funeral work and to see if she could come in and look around at our product. Of course i said yes. When i did i had a just gut instinct it was the same family Colin had told me about the other night..
Not to long after i got the phone call two ladies came in. I just knew it was them. They were both crying at the time and said they needed something for a little girl's funeral tomorrow. So after going over a few things with them and trying to console them a bit...i did what any good florist would do. I assured them i would do everything myself and make sure it was beautiful for the funeral tomorrow. At that time i didn't ask about any names (aside from a first name i needed for the form) or cases (it was just not an appropriate time.) They picked out several things they liked before leaving. The most heartbreaking of all was a little pink elephant we had left from Valentines day. They wanted me to attach it to this vase i was fixing for them. I assured them i would. After the left- i just knew...it was that little girls family. I cried the entire time i was fixing the arrangements and sprays. It was absolutely heartbreaking to fix those things knowing they were for a little girl
. The most beautiful piece i made was a green vased arrangement. It was a little green (country green almost) victorian urn type vase- i use white, pink, and yellow tulips in it (i did her entire funeral in tulips of those colors- they wanted something that looked young and youthfull.) It was gorgeous...but very sad to make. I attached the little pink elephant to it at the bottom and put a gorgeous yellow ribbon around its belly. I have some pictures i took of it- if my cell phone cooperates and lets me text them to my photobucket account i'll post them.
I love being a florist ....i really do...but the hardest thing about my job is funeral work- it is absolutely heartbreaking to do...especially when it's for a child. When i put that little elephant on the vase...i was thinking- you know this elephant was ment for a child to enjoy and play with- to make a little girl smile....and instead, it's going to a funeral home where this sweet little girl is laying lifeless in a casket. I cried the entire time i made it. Normall my work doesn't get to me like that- but just knowing if was for a little girl...it broke my heart
It was the same way with the rest of the sprays and other work. I got it all done before i left though- i stayed an hour late to make sure everything was done perfectly- the last thing a grieving family should have to worry about is flowers- I want all of my work i send out to look exceptional- if i do my job right and well- those flowers should be of some small comfort to the family....and that's what i was hoping for. Now onto the part about how i know for sure it's this little girl. When i took the order- it was for a little girl named Chloe's funeral. The grandmom and great aunt came in and paid for everything- they were absolutely to pieces - it broke my heart- i just can't imagine planning a childs funeral
/ When i got home- the first thing i asked Colin was- "The little girl that passed away the other night...was her name Chole (and her last name)." And he said yeah- how did you know. I responded by telling him- i just did all of her funeral work.
We were both just kinda numb. It's aweful- he saw the sweet little girl laying there lifeless...and i made all of the funeral pieces.
I also asked him a bit more about the little girl and was able to straighten out some of the questions i wasn't sure about. About the little girls injury- It happened two years ago. Her grandma (the one who came in today) lives in Arkansas.When Chole was born- she was normal as could be. Two years ago- Chloe and her mom were in Hebrew Springs, Arkansas. Chloe was playing on a set of stairs at her grandmothers house when her mom and grandma had turned away for just a moment. She fell down the stair and was severly,severly injured. When she fell- she hit the base of her skull....it caused a massive amount of brain damage and left her unable to walk/move. She was like a vegetable. So for the past two years- her mom has been caring for her around the clock 24/7 with no help. The other night when the accident happened- Chloe's mom was trying to move her to the bathroom- it's then that they think she accidently tripped and dropped her. (The ME has ruled out any signs of foul play/etc)- it was just an honest accident
. So that's just a little bit more background on the case for those of you who were praying for the family and all. The mom is a bit suicidal right now - please pray for her. When Colin answered the call the other night -she had a small pistol beside her with one bullet in it- talking about if her little girl was gone she had no more reason to live. Colin took the gun away from her and other family members were called to stay with her. They are looking after the mom now. The grandmaw who lives in Arkanasa (the mom's mom) is staying with her right now.) So is the great aunt. The funeral is tomorrow at 2:00pm. Would ya'll please, please, please pray for this family. They are absolutely to pieces right now. I can't even begin to fathom what they're experiencing
Tomorrow the funeral pieces should arrive sometime before noon when they are delivered. It is my hope that they are of some comfort in some small way to the family. Things have just been so weird today for me. I never in a million years would have dreamed that Colin and I would both be dealing with the same family in that way. I know a part of both of our hearts will always be with that sweet little girl. Please continute to pray for this family- they are absolutely devistated.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The mom & grandmother must just feel awful about the accident! Two horrible accidents...one resulting in Chloe ending up the way she did & one ending up with her death.... I just cannot imagine what the family is going through....