Non-Dog People irritate me

salemwitchchild

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Butch (Mom's hubby) really irritates me sometimes. He just came to pick up Mom & Kayla (Kota's full sister). Well both girls rushed to the door to greet him and they were jumping and making a ruckus. So I called Kota to me and made her lay down. Kayla stayed with him. Now let me explain that while he loves dogs, he's not what you say an educated dog owner. He's never done a bit of dog training a day in his life!

So what does he do? "aw Robin why did you make her go away she's OK". Then he calls Kota to him.
Um No. She stays where I put her. Which because my girl is a good girl she just looks at me and I reaffirmed my command to stay.

But then he tries to do this guilt trip on me like I did something wrong because I made my dog mind me.

Sorry just need to vent here. I know I'm right in my actions. He's just irritating and I don't know how he could be so dense.

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not really a big dog person, I like dogs, but just never had one. However, I would know better than to send conflicting signals to a dog that is not my own. Especially, one that is well behaved and used to getting commands from one person. Don't feel guilty. She is your sweet dog and you did nothing wrong. I can't believe he would even question your own actions in your own house.

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not really a dog person either (like them, for the most part, but have had bad experiences with a handful of untrained dogs and just generally prefer cats otherwise)....BUT...it's a matter of being POLITE to not command someone else's dog! geez! It's just like how I would never pet someone's dog without asking them. You never know what the dog and his or her person are working on and what the dog's circumstances/fears/weaknesses/etc are.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
As a dog owner and dog lover myself let me say that you did the right thing making your dog stay. What can I say except that some people are just ignorant or irresponsible. I see this frequently when I walk my dog. Sean is not the friendliest with dogs he doesn't know so he is "always" on leash and near my side. One day a guy starts to cross the street with his dog and I told him politely to stay back. He kept walking towards us like he was challenging my word. Needless to say Sean did his usual lunge, growl, and I promptly put him in a stay and told him "leave it." But this could have easily been avoided. It takes all kinds!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

salemwitchchild

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Neely

As a dog owner and dog lover myself let me say that you did the right thing making your dog stay. What can I say except that some people are just ignorant or irresponsible. I see this frequently when I walk my dog. Sean is not the friendliest with dogs he doesn't know so he is "always" on leash and near my side. One day a guy starts to cross the street with his dog and I told him politely to stay back. He kept walking towards us like he was challenging my word. Needless to say Sean did his usual lunge, growl, and I promptly put him in a stay and told him "leave it." But this could have easily been avoided. It takes all kinds!
I've had a similar situation to. Kota use to Submissive urinate with strangers. So when company came over or I was out walking her and people wanted to approach I asked that they not bend over her. To get down to her level. And if she started to turn on her back or to pee to get up and ignore her. Guess what! They never listened to me.

She's outgrown it for the most part. But sometimes she will do it still.

clairebear

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww what a good baby for listening to you. Some people just have no idea about training dogs. She'll never learn to stay if she's allowed to leave whenever she wants.

maxy24

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I know what you mean, sorry but I'm more of a dog lover than a cat lover, I love both but dogs have won me over more, and I hate when you tell your dog to stop jumping up for instance and then the guest says "no it's ok" then entices the dog back up! It's like I know you don't care but It's not something I want my dog to think is OK. It is a little annoying, but it's very good that your dog stayed for you even when the other person invited him over, whet a good dog!

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know what you mean!!

The president of a Humane Society came over to my house once shortly after we adopted our 2 puppies. They were at the age where we were actively training them to be calm when people come into the house and absolutely stopped them when they tried to jump up on people. She comes in the house, I ask them to lay down, she bends over and starts ooing and ahing over them and pushing them to jump on her. I ask her to stop until they show some control and she just says "it's OK" and kept egging them on. This is the president of a Humane Society - she should know better!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

salemwitchchild

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

I know what you mean!!

The president of a Humane Society came over to my house once shortly after we adopted our 2 puppies. They were at the age where we were actively training them to be calm when people come into the house and absolutely stopped them when they tried to jump up on people. She comes in the house, I ask them to lay down, she bends over and starts ooing and ahing over them and pushing them to jump on her. I ask her to stop until they show some control and she just says "it's OK" and kept egging them on. This is the president of a Humane Society - she should know better!
OMG Yes she should absolutely know better! I was very proud of Kota and she got lots of praise for behaving.

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, I hear ya! I hate people who can't control their dogs!

I haven't always been a cat person, I'll admit that.. when I got Miagi and Tiger, I love love cats but will never have more than 2 cats at a time. I have four dogs. I grew up with dogs, mainly large dogs.. and never cats but I couldn't choose between them now, honestly.

plebayo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I completely hear you. It's really frustrating when you have people who are uneducated about dogs and don't understand why you make your dog stay, or lay down rather than let them get out of control.

It's really annoying because I have a dog who barks out of fear and also growls. I make her lay down next to me and stay and be quiet. She really dislikes my brother and he's always making faces at me or saying I'm mean because I am very serious to tell her "No" and "leave it" when she's trying to bark and be obnoxious. I've had other people say the same thing when I'm having a session with her and it's like it isn't okay for her to be obnoxious. I tell her that I see what she sees and that should be enough for her.

On the upside at least your girl minded you! What a good kid!