cat not eating as much...need help

jw_quincy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i've been taking care of an outdoor cat named looka for about 2 years now. about 3-4 weeks ago, i discovered a huge bloody bruise and took looka to the vet. the vet squeezed it and smelly blood and pus spewed out. the vet told me it was abscess from a fight with another cat and would require surgery. anyhow, fearing the something like this might happen again, since there are alot of cats around my neighborhood, i've decided to keep looka inside my home permanently. these past few weeks has been nothing but pain. looka can't stop meowing, can't stop following me, always looking to get out, and now not eating very much. i used to feed her canned salmon and once in awhile steamed chicken which she devours like nothing. now she barely even touches it. ive spent money on dry/canned cat food. she won't even go near it. she still drinks boiled milk and cream at least. of course water too.

when she was outdoors and came in to eat, she would get 3 meals a day. now that she stays in, i only feed her twice a day, but there are alot of scraps leftover. is it possible she not eating as much now that she indoors due to stress/depression? or is the dietary requirement different from indoors cat versus outdoors (i.e. outdoor cats has to eat more to keep themselves warm)? any advice would be helpful.

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know what to tell you, but what you are saying makes good sense to me.

I am sending hugs and prayers from Mississippi that she gets to feeling better soon.

Keep us updated on how she is doing.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Originally Posted by jw_quincy

is it possible she not eating as much now that she indoors due to stress/depression? or is the dietary requirement different from indoors cat versus outdoors (i.e. outdoor cats has to eat more to keep themselves warm)?
Both these factors I believe. But mostly she wants out...

Cats used to freely go out can usually be made to stay stricktly indoor-cats, but usually you must work some on it. I understand Looka is ex-homeless. Homeless who had a hard time out are often surprisingly easy to make into strictly indoors. But Looka didnt had it too bad outside, as she had help from you. She had the best of both worlds...

What you can do, here some ideas to pick among:
Try with Feliway.
Make her have a lot of things to do inside. F.eks make rich climbings possibilities with help of some planks and strips of woods.
A video with fish-aquarium on!
Perhaps music playing on... softly especielly when you not home.
Play with her - laser-pointer is very popular among cats!

Do you have a balcony? Set net on the balcony. Also popular.

A cat-pal is often terryfic. See it is some social cat, so you are sure they will become friends.