Ugh, major computer disaster

arcadian girl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So this afternoon I was surfing the net, when my cell phone rang. It was in the other room in my purse, and it was an important phone call, so I jumped up to go get it. Unfortunately, unbeknownst to me, the power chord was wrapped around my leg. Cue a huge crash bang as laptop and the big fan behind it fell on the floor. Wonton was sitting on the windowsill and he puffed up pretty big, so I just quickly went into the other room and shut the door. I gave him a half hour to calm down, and was I waited, I crossed my fingers that my laptop would be ok.

After a half hour, I tentatively opened the door. The Wonner looked up at me with big eyes as if to say what the HECK was that?? He seemed otherwise ok tho (as in not aggressive), so I picked him up and cuddled him a minute, then put him in the other room so I could pick up the computer. The bottom was cracked badly (the underside), there was a dime sized hole in it, and the screen casing had come apart. I pushed it back together, put it on the desk, plugged it in - no dice :/ Screen is all messed up, all pixelated and wierd, half the screen is black and the rest is white and other colors.. the screen is ruined. The mousepad didn't work, and it only halfway booted up.

I've had that lappy for five years, so it had a good run, but I was still upset. Tried my ancient ancient desktop that usually works (enough to get me on the net to do basic things) - and that has decided to leave this existence too! I couldn't believe it

when the bf came home, we went to Best Buy to look at some laptops..we're going to circuit city tomorrow to look aroundn too. saw a gorgeous HP, special edition with a white pearl finish and two gigs of ram.. checked out the new Windows vista and from what I could see, it was pretty cool.

so, you ask, how am I typing this? well...when I came home at 1, halfway drunk, i turned on the tv but there was nothing to watch. late night is when I especialy like to get online.. so I came out here, plugged my lappy into an external monitor, hooked it up with my external mouse and keyboard, hit power-and lo and behold, it works! for the moment anyway. It keeps dying on me every half hour or so tho - it never did that before.

I'm moving all my stuff to my external drive, and hopefully, fingers crossed, I'll be getting a new lappy tomorrow.

And I'm making sure the damn chord is BEHIND the desk this time, and keeping my cell on the desk here next to me instead of in the other room

pat locani

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, you are clever to get it going. Sorry about the literal crash. Go get yourself a MacBook!

kittydad

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well glad you can do a quick fix till you get yourself another laptop. And goes to serve the purpose of regularily backing up files too, as a just in case thing. Hope you get the new laptop soon.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

arcadian girl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kittydad

Well glad you can do a quick fix till you get yourself another laptop. And goes to serve the purpose of regularily backing up files too, as a just in case thing. Hope you get the new laptop soon.
yeah it works for the moment, and at least I'm able to move everything to my external drive.

Phat Locani and Renovia - I don't like Macs personally.. I'm quite happy with PC's, it's just that mine physically crashed today, so I need to go buy a new one. In trying out Vista at the store, I really loved it - can't wait to use it on my new PC.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
it happens to all us at one time or another..
last year i was sitting at the desktop, and heyu knocked over a glass of milk on my old laptop, that was on, end of laptop.