Cat is depressed...

kuuyku

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, I have a furbaby whose best feline friend past away recently and he is very moppy. He has been eating, but he does not run around anymore and virtually ignores my attempts to play with him. Any suggestions?

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so sorry!

Cats grieve in their own unique ways just like humans do. I've seen cats lose their friends and bounce back immediately, and others that grieved for a long time. Distraction doesn't always work when they are in the thick of it.

This may sound odd, but I sometimes do nothing more than just hold them close, give them calm, soothing scritches and tell them that I'm sorry and understand. They give you that look of thanks in return. I tend to go the route of giving them extra attention and love rather than treats and toys. Stumpy lost his dog buddy and grieved for a year until we got another dog. Pinky lost his brother and grieved for about 18 months until he finally bonded with a newly adopted cat in the house. Sometimes change in the household will help them adjust.

How long were the cats together?

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

I'm so sorry!

Cats grieve in their own unique ways just like humans do. I've seen cats lose their friends and bounce back immediately, and others that grieved for a long time. Distraction doesn't always work when they are in the thick of it.

This may sound odd, but I sometimes do nothing more than just hold them close, give them calm, soothing scritches and tell them that I'm sorry and understand. They give you that look of thanks in return. I tend to go the route of giving them extra attention and love rather than treats and toys. Stumpy lost his dog buddy and grieved for a year until we got another dog. Pinky lost his brother and grieved for about 18 months until he finally bonded with a newly adopted cat in the house. Sometimes change in the household will help them adjust.

How long were the cats together?
It does sound weird............BUT it works! Talk to your cat about it, hold and comfort him, especially when hes really down, and tell him you understand hes lonely, you miss the other kitty to. talk to him as much as possible, not just when petting him or holding him, this will help him not feel so alone. Some people think getting another cat fixes the grief, its the loss not the loneliness.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just incase you may want to consider a vet visit. I think I recall that there was someone a couple months or more ago that thought their kitty was just grieving and it turned out to be a serious health problem.