TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › Nya has crystals :(
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Nya has crystals :(

post #1 of 17
Thread Starter 
Nya had a UTI a month or so ago, and went in today for her recheck urinalysis. When they took the urine, the vet said it was clear and looked like there wouldn't be any issues, and she'd call me when they had the results. When they did call me, they told me there were a significant amount of crystals in her urine

So she's on Royal Canin Urinary SO canned for two weeks to dissolve the crystals that are there, and I'm going to have to look at adjusting her diet for afterwards. I have some ideas, but I'm looking for input!

The only thing that changed in her diet which I feel probably had a hand in bringing on the original UTI, was I added Salmon as a significant portion of her diet. This is obviously being removed. She's raw fed. I feed mostly a pre-made formula (info and ingredients can be found at www.tryhealthypaws.com) and I rotate between all the protein sources available with an emphasis on Beef and Salmon since they are the favourites. I occasionally (once a week or so) give chicken necks or quail peices for chewing action They also get a glucosamine etc suppliment called Synflex which has EFA's as well, since Buddy has seriously bad hips and Nya is older and getting stiff. Right now they are fed once a day.

I'm thinking of adding probiotics, and Berry Balance by Solid Gold to keep the UTI's down (and hence, keep the crystals away). I'll probably change to a rotation of only a few protien sources. I'll also go back to feeding two meals a day, as I'm not sure why this changed to only one, and they should be getting two meals a day anyways.

Anything you'd add? Change? What do you think?
post #2 of 17
GET RID of the fish .... sorry to be blunt but that is what has worked for my raw feed cat with uti issues
The only fish Kandie can have in real quanities is sardines
also try to find a jt supplement not from fish .... Probiotics great I use alot of them.... I could pm u some herbs that help... my vet doesnt put alot of stock in berrys in older animals
post #3 of 17
Thread Starter 
Yup, I'm already getting rid of the fish. No problem there!

I'd really appreciate any info you've got Sharky
post #4 of 17
Thread Starter 
I'm just bumping this up because I'd really like people to see it today.
post #5 of 17
I would just echo what you've already come up with - no fish and back to 2 meals a day.

I think one thing that helped me was putting cups of water in odd places around the house. They visit all of them and consequently they all drink a lot more now. They even look for the cups in places I haven't put them yet. It's like a little game for them. LOL ...but it works.
post #6 of 17
When Zoey had a significant amount of crystals the Urinary SO did nothing for her. That food is more for maintenance so dont be surprised if she still has crystals on that food. So we put her on Science Diet S/D to disolve the crystals and that worked so now she's on C/D for maintenance. Though its been a few years and she's been ok on the C/D so I might put her back on the SO because Saki is on that and it would be much easier to feed them the same food.
post #7 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by beandip View Post
I would just echo what you've already come up with - no fish and back to 2 meals a day.

I think one thing that helped me was putting cups of water in odd places around the house. They visit all of them and consequently they all drink a lot more now. They even look for the cups in places I haven't put them yet. It's like a little game for them. LOL ...but it works.


Hey, I LOVE that idea! I am going to do it today! Thanks!
post #8 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by beandip View Post
I would just echo what you've already come up with - no fish and back to 2 meals a day.

I think one thing that helped me was putting cups of water in odd places around the house. They visit all of them and consequently they all drink a lot more now. They even look for the cups in places I haven't put them yet. It's like a little game for them. LOL ...but it works.
I just wanted to compliment you on that idea. It's ingenious! Sounds like a game my bengals would enjoy as well.
post #9 of 17
Thread Starter 
Thanks guys, I appreciate the tips!

I think I've got a good idea of how to keep this managed (I hope!) but of course, I have a feeling the research isn't going to end!
post #10 of 17
Sorry to hijack here...but I am curious...does the Solid Gold Berrry Blend work to maintain a normal urine pH?
post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by white cat lover View Post
Sorry to hijack here...but I am curious...does the Solid Gold Berrry Blend work to maintain a normal urine pH?
berry blend has alot of cranberry to acidify the urine... my vet sells it but when I asked she said dont bother... it may be it works best before issues come up??
post #12 of 17
Thread Starter 
Oh no! I just realised that most of Nya's favourite treats are fishy Salmon Greenies, salmon jerky, and those little dried up fishies. Now I figure the fishies and salmon jerky are out with my fish elimination, but there is SO LITTLE actual salmon in the Greenies do you think it'll matter? She doesn't get that many treats anyways... 3 a day at most, I prefer to give her "real" treats like the jerky (which I can switch to another meat) than commercial ones like the Greenies, and treats are not usually given every day... What do you think?
post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicycat View Post
When Zoey had a significant amount of crystals the Urinary SO did nothing for her. That food is more for maintenance so dont be surprised if she still has crystals on that food. So we put her on Science Diet S/D to disolve the crystals and that worked so now she's on C/D for maintenance. Though its been a few years and she's been ok on the C/D so I might put her back on the SO because Saki is on that and it would be much easier to feed them the same food.
The vets never could get a sample out of my cat so I don't even know if my cat had crystals. They'd put him on the table and he'd pee on the table itself, so they could never catch him to get a sample with a needle out of his bladder.
He sat there for several days and they could not get a sample out of him.
They did get some of the urine off the table and presumably they found crystals there but I am just not sure. But as soon as I put him on Waltham's So food he was as good as new.
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by batgirl2good View Post
Hey, I LOVE that idea! I am going to do it today! Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai Bengals View Post
I just wanted to compliment you on that idea. It's ingenious! Sounds like a game my bengals would enjoy as well.
Aww, thanks. I don't know how much credit I really deserve. When Pumpkin was caged with a broken leg for 6 weeks, the only dish that she wouldn't play in and/or spill was a coffee cup. After she was loose in the house, she asked for it by name. Although, now that she's bigger she prefers a 32 oz cup.

Anyway...I'm glad I could help. I hope you get as much mileage out of it as we have.
post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferd View Post
The vets never could get a sample out of my cat so I don't even know if my cat had crystals. They'd put him on the table and he'd pee on the table itself, so they could never catch him to get a sample with a needle out of his bladder.
He sat there for several days and they could not get a sample out of him.
They did get some of the urine off the table and presumably they found crystals there but I am just not sure. But as soon as I put him on Waltham's So food he was as good as new.

It's possible he didnt have THAT many crystals that the SO was able to take care of it. That's what happened with Saki. He had some crystals and it was causing him to strain at the litterbox. They didnt know what kind of crystals they were.. they called them 'amorphous' or something, so we decided to try the SO and that took care of the problem as I have not seen him have any issues now for a few months. With Zoey she had TONS apparently and they were definately struvite so the SO did not work to actually get rid of them, we needed the stronger food = S/D.
post #16 of 17
Julia

It seems at least in this house salmon in small quanitiys is okay .... tuna is NO NO so is herring .... Sardines seem to be okay ( like two a week) ... My vet is talking with another as I too have a fish feen.... I will get the herb and supplement list for ya soon...

Jennifer
post #17 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky View Post
Julia

It seems at least in this house salmon in small quanitiys is okay .... tuna is NO NO so is herring .... Sardines seem to be okay ( like two a week) ... My vet is talking with another as I too have a fish feen.... I will get the herb and supplement list for ya soon...

Jennifer

Thank you muchly That's very helpful! I'll patiently watch my PM box!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Health
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › Nya has crystals :(