Prairie Raw Instinct?

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
http://www.naturesvariety.com/conten...7120ROl43A7C89 Has anybody tried this food? Jamie is being picky again about wanting variety, and I've just discovered that this is available here. I really need another "all stages" food, as he'll be 8 soon, and won't eat any of the "senior" foods we've tried.
I've heard a lot about digestive problems with Innova Evo (not available here), and was wondering if anybody has experienced the same with Raw Instinct. Jamie generally has a cast-iron stomach, and eats a lot of different brands.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't tried it. I'm curious to hear feedback on it too. I almost got a bag yesterday (to use as treats for mine)...but the lady @ the feed store wasn't too hyped about it for some reason. She loaded me up with free samples of other stuff
so I decided to wait.

Are "senior" foods generally lower in protein? I can't recall. If that's the case, I might go with something else...since the protein on this food is very high.

I'd like to know what others think of it too.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think it would have worked great ... tried it with Zoey and no DIGESTIVE issues at ALL .. but half way thru the bag she stopped eating it ... I know you rotate foods so the protein being very high doesnt seem to be a big issue

praries lamb is one zoey loves , it is a all stage

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I can also get the other Prairie dry foods here. I've tried the wet/canned, and Jamie won't touch it. He'd probably like the lamb or salmon dry, though.
The canned he'll eat is (almost) all meat/fish, so I think I'm going to have to give him a calcium supplement, as the calcium/phosphorus levels are out of kilter. He's reached an age where kidney problems could develop.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
do you have access to innova canned >>??

semiferal

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've tried it and they loved it. The only caution I would offer is to be cautious with the lamb - lamb is a prime carrier of toxoplasmosis and I did know of a cat who died of toxo after eating raw lamb. But otherwise, definitely yes to Prairie!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

do you have access to innova canned >>??
Unfortunately, not any more. Jamie loved the canned Innova. California Natural and Innova are no longer exported to the European Union.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've tried Raw Instinct! I really like it...the kibble is like crumbly, so there is quite a bit of "crumbs"...ground up stuff. My Twitch, who only eats round kibble because of lack teeth, LOVED this stuff! She, however, would not tolerate any crumbs in her food bowl.
I quit feeding it for now as I have gotten towards the bottom where the crumbs are more prevalent & she won't eat it unless I get the crumbs out.

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, we just went out today and picked up the Prairie raw (sampler pack) and the Natural Variety raw (rabbit). We tried them on the rabbit for dinner. The little one ate a bit, the big one turned his ever so finicky nose up at it. This is the first time they've had rabbit, though... so they may just be a bit hesitant about the taste. The texture is a little different for them too.. theirs is a little mushier usually. Maybe I'll put it in with something.

I'll let you know how it goes with the Natural Variety when we try it.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by CatsAreBetter

Well, we just went out today and picked up the Prairie raw (sampler pack) and the Natural Variety raw (rabbit). We tried them on the rabbit for dinner. The little one ate a bit, the big one turned his ever so finicky nose up at it. This is the first time they've had rabbit, though... so they may just be a bit hesitant about the taste. The texture is a little different for them too.. theirs is a little mushier usually. Maybe I'll put it in with something.

I'll let you know how it goes with the Natural Variety when we try it.
rabbit doesnt smell like chicken or fish does try adding some "blood" to it

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was considering mixing it with their current raw chicken.. just to get it in there. I wet it down a bit, the reaction was a little better. Joyeux ate some of it. Khan was a lot more interested and then finally stuck his nose up at it again.

Thinking blood from chicken liver?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I use the rabbit blood but that is how the pre made I use comes meat bones organs with lots of blood .... I have been known to add a touch of luke warm water to make it more appetizing... chn liver may work

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I added Nature's Variety dry to my kitten's diet about two weeks ago and they really like it. I mix it half & half with Innova Evo and feed 10 ounces a day, along with 11 ounces of wet. They don't eat all the wet (*rolls eyes*), but they invariable finish off the dry.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

I've tried Raw Instinct! I really like it...the kibble is like crumbly, so there is quite a bit of "crumbs"...ground up stuff. My Twitch, who only eats round kibble because of lack teeth, LOVED this stuff! She, however, would not tolerate any crumbs in her food bowl.
I quit feeding it for now as I have gotten towards the bottom where the crumbs are more prevalent & she won't eat it unless I get the crumbs out.
Jamie doesn't like crumbs, either, so I'm curious as to how he'll react. I've ordered a small bag of the dry. He refuses raw meat, so he might not like the "freeze-dried" coating, but I guess it's worth a try.

Senior cats supposedly should have "reduced protein", but he would only get two meals a week of it, as I rotate three dry foods for breakfast every week, and give several brands of canned in the evening.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is the only one out of the 4 grain free / raw type dry foods my 4 won't eat.

They all do well on EVO and Orijen (which has the nutrients in German on the back also so you may be able to find that there), and Magnum fusses a little with Serenegetti but will eat it.

Raw Instinct however just didn't go down well with any of them

Our local pet store sells quite a bit of it though, so obviously it agrees with other kitties

With

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love it. I am about to switch my dogs over to their dog forumula. Maia gets the raw, in a pinch she can tolerate the kibble with her IBS, and the other kitties love when it gets mixed into their diet

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by icklemiss21

This is the only one out of the 4 grain free / raw type dry foods my 4 won't eat.

They all do well on EVO and Orijen (which has the nutrients in German on the back also so you may be able to find that there), and Magnum fusses a little with Serenegetti but will eat it.

Raw Instinct however just didn't go down well with any of them

Our local pet store sells quite a bit of it though, so obviously it agrees with other kitties
Thanks for the tip - I'll check out Orijen. I've never heard of it.

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't heard of Orijen either.. is it distributed in the US and is it a dry kibble or a wet raw?.. There might be better terminology for that...

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know it is distrubuted in at least parts of the US as a friend in FL also feeds it to her cat although it is fairly new and I know of only one shop locally that sells it.

This is the Canadian site, but it does list some US stores

and the ingredients
Fresh chicken meat, chicken meal (low ash), turkey meal, steamed russet potato, fresh-caught Northern Whitefish, chicken fat, fresh whole eggs, salmon meal, salmon and anchovy oils, tapioca, chicken broth, sunflower oil, flaxseed, Atlantic kelp, steamed carrots, spinach, peas and tomatoes, sun-cured alfalfa, apple fiber, psyllium seed, rosemary extract, yeast extract (MOS), glucosamine HCl, cranberries, black currants, chondroitin sulfate.

TONIC HERBS AND BOTANICALS

Chicory, burdock and marshmallow root (FOS), rosehips, stinging nettle, marigold flowers, L-carnitine, fennel seed, chamomile flowers, milk thistle, chickweed, summer savory.

ORGANIC MINERALS

Iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, manganese proteinate, copper proteinate.

PROBIOTIC MICROORGANISMS

Lactobacillus acidophilus, Lactobacillus casei, Bifidobacterium (B. bifidus), Saccharomyces (S. boulardii).

PREMIUM VITAMINS

Mixed tocopherols (source of vitamin E), choline chloride, vitamin A, vitamin D3, niacin, riboflavin, thiamine mononitrate, vitamin B12, folic acid, biotin, pyridoxine (source of vitamin B6).