I need help choosing a high quality food

kittiesx2

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have two kittens ages 8 and 5 months (almost
) They have been eating Purina One kitten formula dry and fancy feast wet food. It's convenient for me because I can get it at the grocery store but I think that it is time to switch to a higher quality food. Any Ideas??

Thanks

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kittiesx2

I have two kittens ages 8 and 5 months (almost
) They have been eating Purina One kitten formula dry and fancy feast wet food. It's convenient for me because I can get it at the grocery store but I think that it is time to switch to a higher quality food. Any Ideas??

Thanks
you might consider purchasing food online, if convenience is an issue. premium foods online has lots of high-quality foods, & they include ingredient lists. pet food direct is another good online site. most high-quality foods are only available at pet stores, otherwise.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Easy access premiums at big box stores

royal canin
nutro
natural balence
blue spa

calico76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I switched Misty and Claire to Nutro Indoor when they went from kitten to adult food. Before that they were on Iams kitten.

What a difference!! Their coats are healthier, there haven't been any hairballs (knock wood) since and the litter box smells much less. I am truly thrilled with it and started Pepper on the kitten formula as well. I know it is just my opinion, but I will never feed anything else unless I'm forced for health reasons!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittiesx2

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the suggestions and the links. What do you think of the Chicken Soup foods? They seem pretty reasonably priced and the ingredients look good?

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise

Thanks for the suggestions and the links. What do you think of the Chicken Soup foods? They seem pretty reasonably priced and the ingredients look good?
Yes on both points!

panther pride

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Innova evo is what I feed my Bindi and he does great. I live in Minnasoda and go to dog days there it is 1.45 per can of 13 oz food. Give dry innova evo and solid gold as well. Heres a website that you might find useful. www.Naturapet.com

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

For the $$$ at a feed store they are great ... on a whole compared to others they still are good

wildflower79

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

I've been feeding Gizmo Chicken Soup dry for adults for the last few months. He's been doing well on it, but I've been thinking of changing to Maxx cat primarily because it's fomulated for UT health. But overall yes CS is good brand and for the price definitely worth looking into. I have to buy it online though and with shipping the cost adds up so if you can find it locally that's even better.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Wildflower79

I've been feeding Gizmo Chicken Soup dry for adults for the last few months. He's been doing well on it, but I've been thinking of changing to Maxx cat primarily because it's fomulated for UT health. But overall yes CS is good brand and for the price definitely worth looking into. I have to buy it online though and with shipping the cost adds up so if you can find it locally that's even better.
i can't find it at the petstores, but i was able to find it at the local feed store. you might check around for feed stores in your area...

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We switched to Royal Cain foods - on Charlie's breeders recommendation. She used to feed Iams like I did, but found that RC was much better, so now both of ours are on the RC.

kittiesx2

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm going to give Chicken soup a try. It's at several local stores in my area. Hopefully they like it

raju

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well im using science plan dry and hi-life wet
science plan is the better version of science diet
no by products no grains no nothing
and like 45%> meat how good is that same with hi-life
veryyyyyyyyyyyyyyy good

kittydad

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was prepared to feed spice and sugar meow mix, but then got a bag of advantage for free with a coupon for another bag. The little girls enjoy it, and seem to be doing well on it. One thing i have found in the past is that a cat will not eat a new food very well, even when trying to mix it in to do a change. Cats do not like change very well, lol. So I am tempted to keep sugar and spice on the advantage food till I have to otherwise look into something else.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

We have a store here where you can by a huge bag of Chicken soup for $23. I think it's 30 or 35 lb. I know it's more then 20 lb anyway. I understand this is a good food for cats. I'm trying to get away from dry for my cats so I started feeding mine Innova Evo recently. They are doing very well on it.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kittydad

I was prepared to feed spice and sugar meow mix, but then got a bag of advantage for free with a coupon for another bag. The little girls enjoy it, and seem to be doing well on it. One thing i have found in the past is that a cat will not eat a new food very well, even when trying to mix it in to do a change. Cats do not like change very well, lol. So I am tempted to keep sugar and spice on the advantage food till I have to otherwise look into something else.
the meow mix wet is ok, but the dry is really awful. i've never heard of advantage - what are its ingredients? is it wet or dry?
Originally Posted by mzjazz2u

We have a store here where you can by a huge bag of Chicken soup for $23. I think it's 30 or 35 lb. I know it's more then 20 lb anyway. I understand this is a good food for cats. I'm trying to get away from dry for my cats so I started feeding mine Innova Evo recently. They are doing very well on it.
that's a good price - my local feed store has 18 pounds for about $20.

kittiesx2

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I bought dry Chicken Soup kitten food yesterday and they seem to really like it
I paid $23 for a 15 lb bag which really isn't alot more than I was paying for the Purina One ( $5 for a 3.5 lb bag ) The pieces are larger X shapes and the quality is a huge step up from their old food

Next week I'm going to switch to Chicken Soup wet food as well. I didn't want it to be a huge shock all at once. The wet food is $24 a case and has 5.5 oz. cans ( fancy feast is $12 for 24 3 oz cans) so it really isn't much more expensive either. I hope that they like it

jaycee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kittydad

Kya LOVES whenever I try a new dry food with her. she always favors the new kind over the old kind, even when i switch back to one ive used before. i tried chicken soup with her and it made her fur course and dull. ive tried three different kinds and she is currently on the one she did best on which was the one i had started with in the first place. Maxximum nutrition, walmarts "premium" brand.