Famous cats

cercia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Here are a few famous cats I can think of. Can you think of some?

- CASPAR
A cat carved out of London Plane wood which is kept in Somerset House, off the Strand. He was made to fill out the 14th place at 13-guest banquets there. Winston Churchill was so fond of Caspar that he ordered his immediate return from Singapore in WW2. (It's anyones guess what he was doing in Singapore...taking a cat holiday?)

- TABBY
Mildred Hubble's cat from The Worst Witch. OK this cat doesn't do much but there are a lot of cats in the film!

- BAST
A cat goddess. It was only in the New Kingdom that she gained the head of a house cat, athough she was still depicted as a lion-headed woman to show her warlike side. Bast, by her name, seems to be related to perfumes in some way. Herodotus describes the 'Festival of Bast' where thousands of men and women travelled on boats, partying like crazy. They had music, singing, clapping and dancing. When they passed towns, the women would call out dirty jokes, often lifting up their skirts up over their heads! When they reached Bubastis they made sacrificies of various animals and drank as much wine as they could stomach. Her temple is now in ruins, but it was made of red granite with a sacred grove in the centre, with the shrine of the goddess herself... it was also full of cats.

- CHESHIRE CAT
The disappearing cat with a diabolical grin! Carrol may have got the idea from the cats that lived in the port of Chester. Some cats would wait for the rats and mice to leave the ships transporting Cheshire cheese to London. With such a reliable food supply, the cats would always be happily grinning. Or, Cheshire being a dairy country, maybe its cats wear grins as a result of all the milk and cream.

- BARON HUMBERT VON GIKKINGEN (BARON)
The heroic cat in "The Cat Returns" anime film by Studio Ghibli. He is voiced by Cary Elwes.

hilda>^..^<

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Morris...the beautiful spokescat for 9 Lives cat food.

Garfield...who doesn't know Garfield, the cartoon cat?

TopCat...another cartoon cat from back in the day.

Sylvester...da mean ol' puddy tat!

Hilda >^..^<

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dick Whittington's cat - who never had a name that I remember, but has a statue at the bottom of Highgate Hill in London.

silentnate

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In England and most of Europe there is a series of childrens books about a nice witch and her cat- Meg and Mog. I'd definately add Mog to the list

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
KoKo and Yum Yum from "The Cat Who..." mystery series by Lillian Jackson Braun.

Dinah - Alice in Wonderland's cat.

quill_luv

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Jerry, of Tom and Jerry

Muffin, from the Pickles comics

The cat that always gets in the crosslines of Pepe LePeu the skunk in Looneytoons

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Humphrey the Downing Street cat in the John Major years. He recently died in retirement in the country, I believe.

tom w

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Dr Evil's cat, Mr Biggelsworth [sp?] I think his name is. From the Austin Powers movies.