TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Famous cats
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Famous cats

post #1 of 27
Thread Starter 
Here are a few famous cats I can think of. Can you think of some?

- CASPAR
A cat carved out of London Plane wood which is kept in Somerset House, off the Strand. He was made to fill out the 14th place at 13-guest banquets there. Winston Churchill was so fond of Caspar that he ordered his immediate return from Singapore in WW2. (It's anyones guess what he was doing in Singapore...taking a cat holiday?)

- TABBY
Mildred Hubble's cat from The Worst Witch. OK this cat doesn't do much but there are a lot of cats in the film!

- BAST
A cat goddess. It was only in the New Kingdom that she gained the head of a house cat, athough she was still depicted as a lion-headed woman to show her warlike side. Bast, by her name, seems to be related to perfumes in some way. Herodotus describes the 'Festival of Bast' where thousands of men and women travelled on boats, partying like crazy. They had music, singing, clapping and dancing. When they passed towns, the women would call out dirty jokes, often lifting up their skirts up over their heads! When they reached Bubastis they made sacrificies of various animals and drank as much wine as they could stomach. Her temple is now in ruins, but it was made of red granite with a sacred grove in the centre, with the shrine of the goddess herself... it was also full of cats.

- CHESHIRE CAT
The disappearing cat with a diabolical grin! Carrol may have got the idea from the cats that lived in the port of Chester. Some cats would wait for the rats and mice to leave the ships transporting Cheshire cheese to London. With such a reliable food supply, the cats would always be happily grinning. Or, Cheshire being a dairy country, maybe its cats wear grins as a result of all the milk and cream.

- BARON HUMBERT VON GIKKINGEN (BARON)
The heroic cat in "The Cat Returns" anime film by Studio Ghibli. He is voiced by Cary Elwes.
post #2 of 27
Morris...the beautiful spokescat for 9 Lives cat food.

Garfield...who doesn't know Garfield, the cartoon cat?

TopCat...another cartoon cat from back in the day.

Sylvester...da mean ol' puddy tat!


Hilda >^..^<
post #3 of 27
Dick Whittington's cat - who never had a name that I remember, but has a statue at the bottom of Highgate Hill in London.
post #4 of 27
Hobbes- the greatest of them all
post #5 of 27
TS Elliot's cats
post #6 of 27
In England and most of Europe there is a series of childrens books about a nice witch and her cat- Meg and Mog. I'd definately add Mog to the list
post #7 of 27
Hemingway's cats the famous 6 toed cats.

The Royal kittiens.... gotta love those little fuzz balls
post #8 of 27
Jenny - a wonderful cat who is the heroine of a Paul Gallico book "The Abandoned" (And a fabulously wonderful story!!)
post #9 of 27
Piwacket - the Siamese cat in the movie Bell, Book and Candle.
post #10 of 27
Socks Clinton!
post #11 of 27
Nermal

[IMG][/IMG]
post #12 of 27
Mrs Murphy
post #13 of 27
KoKo and Yum Yum from "The Cat Who..." mystery series by Lillian Jackson Braun.

Dinah - Alice in Wonderland's cat.
post #14 of 27
Jerry, of Tom and Jerry

Muffin, from the Pickles comics

The cat that always gets in the crosslines of Pepe LePeu the skunk in Looneytoons
post #15 of 27
Postman Pats cat - Jess ..............a cute B&W kitty
post #16 of 27
aww.................forgot the most famous best big cat...

The Pink Panther
post #17 of 27
Humphrey the Downing Street cat in the John Major years. He recently died in retirement in the country, I believe.
post #18 of 27
Milo, the orange tabby cat in the movie "The Adventures of Milo&Otis". Cute, cute film if you've never seen it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Adv..._Milo_and_Otis
post #19 of 27
Don't forget all the famous tuxedo cats:

http://www.tuxedocatclub.com/fame.html

Cheers, from
SwampWitch

p.s. Love those Hayao Miyazaki movies!
post #20 of 27
Dr Evil's cat, Mr Biggelsworth [sp?] I think his name is. From the Austin Powers movies.
post #21 of 27
Tonto, of the 70s movie "Harry&Tonto" about a man who travels across America with his cat.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071598/
post #22 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by silentNate View Post
In England and most of Europe there is a series of childrens books about a nice witch and her cat- Meg and Mog. I'd definately add Mog to the list
which must be why the British call cats "moggies" I learned that moggie was Brit slang for cat like four years ago, but I never knew why.. now I do I love when I learn something I've been wondering about for ages...
post #23 of 27
Heathcliff
Puss in Boots
Sylvester
Hello Kitty
Felix
Arlene
post #24 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcadian girl View Post
which must be why the British call cats "moggies" I learned that moggie was Brit slang for cat like four years ago, but I never knew why.. now I do I love when I learn something I've been wondering about for ages...
I'm afraid not- the term 'moggy' has been around since 1911 according to wikipedia...
Quote:
Originally Posted by wikipedia
The origin of the word moggy is not a corruption of the word 'mongrel', as many believe. It was first recorded in 1911, and was possibly derived from maggie, margie or mog, all short forms of the female name Margaret. It is thought this was first used to describe an ungainly lumbering old cow, and it may even have been a minor rural English name for any cow; since 'moggy' was used in several 1800s English dialects as an 'affectionate name' for a cow. As rural people flocked to the cities during the latter part of the Industrial Revolution, it seems likely that the cow moggy became maggie.
The origin is obviously confused, but as the early 20th century streets of London became filled with very many unhealthy looking stray cats, it would have been natural to apply the term moggy to describe these unfortunate creatures.
In parts of Lancashire, England the word 'moggy' means mouse not cat. A cat was known as 'the moggy catcher'. It has been suggested that this could be the etymology of the word moggy meaning 'cat' - over time the catcher part was dropped from 'the moggy catcher' and so moggy now means both 'mouse' and 'cat'.
I always wanted to know that so I'm glad I looked it up, my assumption was that it was based on 'mongrel' and I actually feel a lot better about the term 'moggy' now
post #25 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by cercia View Post
Here are a few famous cats I can think of. Can you think of some?

- CASPAR
A cat carved out of London Plane wood which is kept in Somerset House, off the Strand. He was made to fill out the 14th place at 13-guest banquets there. Winston Churchill was so fond of Caspar that he ordered his immediate return from Singapore in WW2. (It's anyones guess what he was doing in Singapore...taking a cat holiday?)

- TABBY
Mildred Hubble's cat from The Worst Witch. OK this cat doesn't do much but there are a lot of cats in the film!

- BAST
A cat goddess. It was only in the New Kingdom that she gained the head of a house cat, athough she was still depicted as a lion-headed woman to show her warlike side. Bast, by her name, seems to be related to perfumes in some way. Herodotus describes the 'Festival of Bast' where thousands of men and women travelled on boats, partying like crazy. They had music, singing, clapping and dancing. When they passed towns, the women would call out dirty jokes, often lifting up their skirts up over their heads! When they reached Bubastis they made sacrificies of various animals and drank as much wine as they could stomach. Her temple is now in ruins, but it was made of red granite with a sacred grove in the centre, with the shrine of the goddess herself... it was also full of cats.

- CHESHIRE CAT
The disappearing cat with a diabolical grin! Carrol may have got the idea from the cats that lived in the port of Chester. Some cats would wait for the rats and mice to leave the ships transporting Cheshire cheese to London. With such a reliable food supply, the cats would always be happily grinning. Or, Cheshire being a dairy country, maybe its cats wear grins as a result of all the milk and cream.

- BARON HUMBERT VON GIKKINGEN (BARON)
The heroic cat in "The Cat Returns" anime film by Studio Ghibli. He is voiced by Cary Elwes.
FELIX wins all the awards. In the Sunday funny papers, had both regular and underground comics, and even made an x rated movie. Then there were the X rated comics, a follow up R rated movie, on and on. FELIX for sure.
post #26 of 27
Thread Starter 
...^^ Miaow!

And the KILLER cat from Azumanga Daioh:
http://chrome.ikimashou.net/images/azumanga25_2.jpg
post #27 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by cercia View Post
...^^ Miaow!

And the KILLER cat from Azumanga Daioh:
http://chrome.ikimashou.net/images/azumanga25_2.jpg
Ahhh... Fantasic anime but wrong cat imho, I prefer the neighbourhood cat that Sakaki tries to befriend but keeps on biting her...

The cat pictured is the Yamamaya cat that she helps in a later episode. I could imagine cat lovers would love Azumanga Dioah
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Famous cats