Too small for breeding

angelic00

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was just wondering if there is a size issue when it comes to 2 cats breeding?
We have 2 kittens and one is really small for her age(We are not going to breed her) But me and my fiance were just wondering about it.

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is size an issue?

The question that needs to be asked first is: why is the female small before you can answer the question.

IMO, it depends on the breed of cat really. The female can't be too small unless you are breeding for small sizes. For example, the Singapura is meant to be small so, a healthy small female of the correct age (ie. above 12 months) would do wonders for the breeder.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by angelic00

I was just wondering if there is a size issue when it comes to 2 cats breeding?
We have 2 kittens and one is really small for her age(We are not going to breed her) But me and my fiance were just wondering about it.
Certainly there can be issues at any age and any size, but smaller cats can have more complications, depending on their ability to carry the litter and may require a c section.

That being said, TCS only recommends breeding for registered, pedigreed cats. Our stance is that all other cats should be spayed/neutered. I am glad you do not plan to breed your kittens.

Katie

maxy24

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
well I'd say they need to be in their breed standard and should be shown and have won a few championships so that you know she is the perfect example of the breed. That's my stand on size, it all depends on the breed standard.

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just a precaution--I know you don't intend to breed your kittens, but it happens often enough without people intending it that I figured I'd better say something:

Kittens can have kittens as early as 5 months old (some reports of 4 month olds). This is before the traditional 6-month neuter date!

If your cats are purebred and you wish to breed them when they are older, you will unfortunately have to keep them separate when they are not being closely supervised, as it only takes a minute for the deed to be done, and small cats do not do well during pregnancy and birth.

If your cats are not going to be bred, then I suggest finding a vet who will neuter them early--female first, if you don't have the money for both right away (because the male will still be fertile a little time after his neuter--but don't delay on him, either, since males tend to spray). Early spay/neuter is becoming more and more common, and is quite safe. A vet who normally waits until six months may be brought around by your telling him that you have two intact kittens in the same household, and do not want a dangerously early pregnancy.

Good luck; and (hint, hint) we love pictures!! Got any of your precious pair?

semiferal

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It depends on what you are asking.

Too small to get pregnant? Nope. I've known of 3-month-old kittens to experience heat cycles.

But too small to safely be pregnant? Absolutely. Lots of mother cats have to undergo emergency c-sections when kittens get stuck in the birth canal, for example.

That's another reason why it's so important to spay and neuter at a young age.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

angelic00

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Both of my kittys have appointments next month to get spayed Princess at the begining of March and Spice at the end.

This is Princess

This is Spice

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They are pretty little girls - but mixed breed, so do get them spayed so they can live a happier/healthier life.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They are both gorgeous! Princess' white nose is so unique!

I'm glad you are getting them spayed, they will live much longer, healthier, happier lives that way!

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww... it's a tortie!! I love torties!! Spice is beautiful!