Foreign accents....

cubbie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My week was busy with meetings with some of my colleagues from London and Japan. It reminded me how cool some foreign accents are compared to my boring American accent. I have a pretty vanilla American accent in my opinion.

Do you foreigners find the American accent interesting?

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I LOOOOOOOVE southern American accents! They are just so cool!

I could listen to a southern drawl all day

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
its only boring cause you hear it every day. sometimes i have to deal with people in the deep south, and i cant understand a word they are saying.

Also we get some calls from england, and more then once i had to wake up my boss who is english to tell me what they are saying.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by theimp98

its only boring cause you hear it every day. sometimes i have to deal with people in the deep south, and i cant understand a word they are saying.
Don't diss us southern belles now.
I'll have to use Susie's hammer to squish you!

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
oooo I love accents, us Brits have the same problem, when I lived in the UK, sometimes I couldnt understand what people were saying and they only lived about 20 miles from where I come from

I just adore the New Yorker accent - especially when they say 'can I get a cawp of cawffffffeeeee '

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

Don't diss us southern belles now.
I'll have to use Susie's hammer to squish you!
haha, no diss there, i hate having to ask someone to spell there last name, cause i cant understand it and when he does it L-E-E
i have family i bet as the same accent as you

Originally Posted by mooficat

oooo I love accents, us Brits have the same problem, when I lived in the UK, sometimes I couldnt understand what people were saying and they only lived about 20 miles from where I come from

I just adore the New Yorker accent - especially when they say 'can I get a cawp of cawffffffeeeee '
Whats funny is my boss told me what accent it was(dont remember), she said that she also has a very hard time understanding it(she is from london)

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I have problems with it too, even though I was born and raised around it! People using "ain't", double negatives, and made up words confuse me.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

haha, no diss there, i hate having to ask someone to spell there last name, cause i cant understand it and when he does it L-E-E
i have family i bet as the same accent as you
lol probably so! my last name is russian/jewish if that makes sense- people NEVER pronounce it right
My accent isn't too terribly bad (at least not to me
) because i acted for quite a while at our local playhouses and i was also a music major for a few years there -so i had tons of voice lessons and things like that. when i type though i do use a lot of "sweetheart, ya'll, ain't, honey...." things like that
when i'm REALLY sleepy- i talk like a total southern belle

koukou

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mooficat

I agree with you on that... I love the way New Yorkers say that. I do like southern accents as well.... they sound so melodic.

cercia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
MY favourite accent is Czech accent when they speak English. I really don't like Japanese accents, they sound garbled. But some American accents are good. I love the county-Bible-basher "Halleluia Praise the Loard" accent.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My accent is just messed up from living too many places!

I LOVE Australian accents, we are doing a huge project at for for a customer who has just moved over and we will use any excuse to call him and listen to his accent.

At work, I am the accent girl and customers will regularly ask for me when they could speak to someone more junior and then tell me its just so they can hear my accent

hilda>^..^<

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well being a Texan, I write with a drawl...y'all
but when I speak, because I'm hispanic, you hear more of the latina in me come out!

I do love a British accent though...something like Hugh Grant's...very cool!

Of course, I love a rrrrrrrrromantic spanish accent...like Antonio Banderas

Hilda >^..^<

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Favorite is either Brittish or Austrailian, makes me melt to hear a hot guy speak with that accent! But I have a southern-ish accent. I say southern-ish because i have a mix of accents. Some words I say are VERY southern but people ask me al the time where I am from becuase I say certain words with a northern accent. Guess I get that from being an army brat!

silentnate

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love southern American accents and hispanic accents

Not too keen on Australian accents as they tend to have an upward inflection that grates

sibohan2005

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a Canadian Accent with a bit of Irish mixed in. I also use quite a few Lanarkisms little sayings that no one but someone that came from my home county would know. People look at me like "what the frell are you talking about!"

furry4fury

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sibohan2005

I have a Canadian Accent with a bit of Irish mixed in. I also use quite a few Lanarkisms little sayings that no one but someone that came from my home county would know. People look at me like "what the frell are you talking about!"
Canadian Irish is good
- I have just a plain Canadian accent, I think my biggest problem understanding an Irish/English person was the difference with the words....he told me he just came in from having a fag ...
what he meant was a smoke...
what a misunderstanding that wasy....ha ha ha....I love to hear all kinds of accents. The most I have to deal with at work is Russian, German, and French....I speak NONE of these languages so I'm constantly asking them to spell their first and last names...or I pass it off to someone in the office who speaks the language...