TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › What one thing you own do you love?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What one thing you own do you love?

post #1 of 27
Thread Starter 
I have always figured that If my house burned down I wouldn't grab anything to save except for the cats, but since my grandmother passed away it has changed.
My Grandmother from the first memory I have had a picture hanging on the wall in her room. The picture was of my great-great-grandmother at the age of 13. I have alwasy thought it was enchanting and loved it. For many years befor she passed away my grandmother told me that the picture looked like my cousin Josaphine so that she should have it when my grandmother passed away.
After Grandma passed I lived at her house cleaning and packing up her things. One of the last things we packed were the items designated for particular members of the family. So I gently lifted the picture off the wall and handed it to my father. He almost imediately burst into tears.
My grandmother had... some time long ago (befor her handwriting got bad) written "To my darling Rhonda, your great-great-grandmother Girtrude Winnifred Rouse in her 13th year" I burst into tears also. I can't imagine ever loosing this picture.
I now would grab the cats and the picture of my gggrandma
post #2 of 27
I don't think that I would have time to grab anything, I have too many pets. It would take me a couple trips just to get them all out.
post #3 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaireBear View Post
I don't think that I would have time to grab anything, I have too many pets. It would take me a couple trips just to get them all out.


I would try my darndest to get photos and stuff.......and I made a scrap book in my dads memory and really wouldnt wanna leave that behind
post #4 of 27
I've thought about this before. My grandfather was stationed in Germany during WW2. When his tour was over he brought back with him a hand sculpted horse. It sits on my desk and I look at it everytime and think of him. I'd have to grab it if I could. But I do admit I wouldn't risk my life or the life of my family (fur-family included) to save it. Even though it has value to me life is more important. Id love to take it to the antique roadshow though!
post #5 of 27
After getting everyone out, I don't know if I'd have time to grab anything else.
I'd let the dogs right ouside first, then grab all the cats and shove them in the car or something. the doggs won't tke off, but the cats would and I'd never find them again.

i don't really have anything that means alot to me.. my animals are my everything. I've been sitting here trying to think.. but nothing comes to mind.
May the autographed script cover from one of the tv shows i watch, but other than that. I can't think of anything.
post #6 of 27
The one thing I'd grab besides my pets would be a pic of Jessie, the Black Lab pup I (essentially) killed. A big part of my died the day she did & that one pic is all I've got left!
post #7 of 27
I can't really think of anything other than my family members/animals.. probably old family pictures, though.
post #8 of 27
After Harley & Davidson- I'm really not too sure, I'd have to say some photos for sure.
post #9 of 27
Besides my cats, I don't think theres anything. I couldn't carry anything else, its all too heavy.
post #10 of 27
Definitely photos and Bella's Scrapbook!
post #11 of 27
After saving my cats I'ld get my photo albums or journals if I had the time.
If I don't have the time its not a big deal... some memories can never be erased from my mind and I guess thats what counts.
post #12 of 27
After grabbing the kitties and getting everyone out safely (since they can't be replaced) and if there is time, I'd grab some photos and the important papers.
post #13 of 27
Besides grabbing the cats I would also grab their pictures and make sure to take Midnight's urn. I couldn't bear to lose her a second time.
post #14 of 27
Having lost my house and most of my possessions the begining of my senior year of highschool, I have to speak up on this one. I have to admit, I had always thought these things before what I would grab and what I couldn't live without...when it comes down to it, none of it matters. Your most important memories are in your heart, and your family getting out safe will be all that you think of. I lost a lot of precious momentos, and I also managed to salvage a precious few after the fact. While I did mourn the things that I lost, mostly I was just grateful. Grateful that my family was all alive, and grateful that I had found the things that I did. That was four years ago, and to this day I'll randomly think of something that I had as a child that was lost in that fire. I'll miss it for a moment, but then one thing always runs through my mind. I've gotten along just fine without it since then, would that have been the same if it would have been a family member lost? I'm not criticizing you guys at all. I did the same thing, I've just learned the hard way that material things, no matter how much sentimental value they may have, are still just things.

If I ever had to go through that again, I wouldn't even bother with things. I would just worry about my family and my animals making it out safely. Theres not one thing in my home that I would rathar save, or that I couldn't live without.
post #15 of 27
Besides the cats of course, which I already feel would be hell because Saki would be so scared he'd go straight under the bed, ah I dont even want to think about it. Anyway, I would grab my purse and keys of course and try to grab my stack of backup disks from my computer.
post #16 of 27
Not just saying this because TCS, the only thing, most important no matter what was happening, is Maia. She gives me life, do whatever I would have to to give her the best I life back!
post #17 of 27
i cant really think of anything.
the old guns i have are in storage, hmm maybe the new computer i just bulit??
are family never took pics, and the few we haev my sister has them. i always traveled to much to get things i cared about.
post #18 of 27
That painting of your gggrandmother is beautiful and a treasure for you to keep
forever.


I don't have any meaningful family stuff,I never really knew anything about them.

The only thing I really treasure is my Rb babies ashes and the little tufts of fur
I have of them and my living furbabes.
If I had to save anything in a fire and I was in when it happened,I would just have to let my babies out the window and that would probly be the last I saw of them because most of them are feralIf I got them all out which I honestly don't think I would because they would panic,Then I would get my Rb babies ashes and fur out.
I wouldn't bother about pics because I have copies at my dads in case anything happens.
post #19 of 27
Grabbin' the kitties and making sure they are safe of course is the first thing after my kiddos...but they'd probably each grab one of the kitties so that's that! I too have lots & lots of photos which are very precious so after my family was safe, that's what I'd want to grab...anything else can be replaced.

Hilda >^..^<
post #20 of 27
I would like to save my pictures. BUT With so many animals there would be no time and as long as they all got out safe thats all that would matter to me.
post #21 of 27
I thought about this some time ago and decided that once the the cats were safe the only thing I couldn't replace were photos, so I put them on CDs and gave copies of them to each of my grown up children. so we all have copies now.
post #22 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddensmom View Post
Having lost my house and most of my possessions the begining of my senior year of highschool, I have to speak up on this one. I have to admit, I had always thought these things before what I would grab and what I couldn't live without...when it comes down to it, none of it matters. Your most important memories are in your heart, and your family getting out safe will be all that you think of. I lost a lot of precious momentos, and I also managed to salvage a precious few after the fact. While I did mourn the things that I lost, mostly I was just grateful. Grateful that my family was all alive, and grateful that I had found the things that I did. That was four years ago, and to this day I'll randomly think of something that I had as a child that was lost in that fire. I'll miss it for a moment, but then one thing always runs through my mind. I've gotten along just fine without it since then, would that have been the same if it would have been a family member lost? I'm not criticizing you guys at all. I did the same thing, I've just learned the hard way that material things, no matter how much sentimental value they may have, are still just things.

If I ever had to go through that again, I wouldn't even bother with things. I would just worry about my family and my animals making it out safely. Theres not one thing in my home that I would rathar save, or that I couldn't live without.

One of the best posts that I have seen, I used to think that material things were important, but I kinda feel like you do. Once my animals were out, I wouldn't care about nothing else.

I would go into a burning building after a child or an animal though. That would be important to me.
post #23 of 27
You're right Bea, that is an excellent post by maddensmom!!

For me...my mom (she's 77 this year) and the cats - I now have 17! Nothing else really really matters.
post #24 of 27
After grabbing my cats I would have to say I would try to get my photo albums... so many memories in them.
post #25 of 27
My cats would already be outside knowing them...so if there was anything else, I would really need to rescue the daily diaries that I have kept since I was 9.
post #26 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anakat View Post
I thought about this some time ago and decided that once the the cats were safe the only thing I couldn't replace were photos, so I put them on CDs and gave copies of them to each of my grown up children. so we all have copies now.

What a great idea Anakat! That sounds like something I will be doing pretty soon! Thanks!

Hilda >^..^<
post #27 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSULOVER View Post
One of the best posts that I have seen, I used to think that material things were important, but I kinda feel like you do. Once my animals were out, I wouldn't care about nothing else.

I would go into a burning building after a child or an animal though. That would be important to me.
Thanks! I was afraid that I would offend someone by posting that, and honestly that wasn't my point. I was just trying to put it into perspective. You wouldn't believe how little time you have to get out. All that I could think of was my baby sister and little brothers, and the animals. Sadly, we forgot the hermit crabs. RIP little guys..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anakat View Post
I thought about this some time ago and decided that once the the cats were safe the only thing I couldn't replace were photos, so I put them on CDs and gave copies of them to each of my grown up children. so we all have copies now.
That is an awesome idea!! Or...we have a safe at the bank....I never thought of putting my backup discs in there! Thanks for the idea!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › What one thing you own do you love?