Peter Pan recall!!

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am posting this in case people have the jars in their cabinets. I know I have 2 jars of the affected peanut butter. One of which is 1/2 empty from me feeding it to my kids. Looks like I am going to Wally World today for a refund:

http://www.wsav.com/midatlantic/sav/...2-15-0001.html

Federal officials say a salmonella outbreak of nearly 300 patients in 39 states has been linked to a peanut butter produced in Georgia.

The Food and Drug Administration, or FDA, in Washington is warning you not to eat certain jars of Peter Pan or Great Value Peanut Butter due to the risk of contamination. The FDA says the affected jars have a product code on the lid that begins with the number "2111."

The agency says both the Peter Pan and Great Value brands are manufactured at a single facility in Sylvester, Georgia by Conagra. Great Value Peanut Butter made by other manufacturers is *not* affected.

If you have a jar, officials advise you to throw it out or return it for a refund. The largest number of salmonella cases were reported in New York, Pennsylvania, Virginia, Tennessee and Missouri, but salmonella outbreaks have also been reported in Georgia.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says it is believed to be the first salmonella outbreak associated with peanut butter.

Conagra says it is recalling products only as a precaution. At this moment, none of its tests have indicated the presence of salmonella.

auntsewissa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wow, thanks for the heads up, I had not heard (and I live in VA!) Guess I can thank my hubby now, he insists we buy Jiff, even though I always preferred Peter Pan

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Be advised:

Peter Pan Peanut Butter and Great Value Peanut Butter Products Beginning with Product Code 2111 Recalled for Possible Salmonella Contamination OMAHA, Neb.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Feb. 14, 2007--ConAgra Foods today announced that it has taken the precautionary measure of voluntarily recalling all varieties of Peter Pan Peanut Butter and Great Value Peanut Butter beginning with product code 2111 imprinted on the lid of both brands. ConAgra Foods is working with the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to investigate a statistical report from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) that these products may be linked to the foodborne illness salmonella.
While this affects Great Value Peanut Butter beginning with product code 2111, there are other manufacturers of Great Value Peanut Butter that are not affected by this recall.
"Although none of our extensive product tests have indicated the presence of salmonella, we are taking this precautionary measure because consumer health and safety is our top priority," said Chris Kircher, spokesperson for ConAgra Foods. "We are working closely with the FDA to better understand its concerns, and we will take whatever additional measures are needed to ensure the safety, quality and wholesomeness of our products."
If consumers have this product, they should discard it, but save the product lid. For a full refund, consumers must return the Peter Pan Peanut Butter or Great Value Peanut Butter product lid along with their name and mailing address to ConAgra Foods, P.O. Box 3768, Omaha, NE 68103.
Consumers with questions or concerns about the recall can call the 24-hour toll-free hotline at 866-344-6970. For more information about salmonella, visit www.ific.org.
ConAgra Foods Inc. (NYSE:CAG) is one of North America's leading packaged food companies, serving grocery retailers, as well as restaurants and other foodservice establishments. Popular ConAgra Foods consumer brands include: Banquet, Chef Boyardee, Egg Beaters, Healthy Choice, Hebrew National, Hunt's, Marie Callender's, Orville Redenbacher's, PAM, and many others. For more information, please visit us at www.conagrafoods.com.

Consumers with questions or concerns about the recall can call the 24-hour toll-free hotline at 866-344-6970.

neetanddave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have a jar.

This explains the stomach flu that Dave's had for two days.

:censor::censor::censor::censor:!!!!!!!!

neetanddave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by huggles

yikes
And all you can do is get a refund.

For a $2.49 jar of peanut butter, and I hafta mail the lid to their office in Omaha? I don't freakin' think so.

I would like him to be reimbursed for his two days of missed work.

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Uh...yeah.

I heard about this on the radio last night just as I took my first big bite into a freshly made peanut butter and jelly sandwich! Fortunately, I was eating Jif.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With how sick my son has been the past 2 1/2 weeks (had a break with the stomach pain..now on to fevers and stomach pains and aches) I am taking the jar and my son to the doctor tomorrow. I called them early and told them his symptoms and the recall and we go first thing in the morning.

What I find ironic is the company tells you to either take it back to your store for a refund or throw it away. Some health people on the news said to hang on to the jar if its been used and if you come down with symptoms go to doc get tested and turn jar into someone for it to be investigated.

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've got a recalled jar of it
- for my dog
! Fortunately, she seems to be feeling okay- she's only had a couple of spoonfuls.

Originally Posted by Ping

With how sick my son has been the past 2 1/2 weeks (had a break with the stomach pain..now on to fevers and stomach pains and aches) I am taking the jar and my son to the doctor tomorrow. I called them early and told them his symptoms and the recall and we go first thing in the morning.

What I find ironic is the company tells you to either take it back to your store for a refund or throw it away. Some health people on the news said to hang on to the jar if its been used and if you come down with symptoms go to doc get tested and turn jar into someone for it to be investigated.
I hope he's feeling better soon! (and thanks for the info about holding on to it- I hadn't heard that anywhere, and I just did a search on this to put this on my dog forum!)

clairebear

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I sometimes get peter pan peanut butter..I dont think that I have any right now though. I'll have to go check. Thanks for the warning!

amitya

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
we have two jars- one that is over half gone and the other i was going to open tonite! UGHHH and i LOVE Peter Pan PB. Jiff it is now- seeing as thats all Wallyworld had at all on their shelves they didnt even have any of the organic stuff.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We had a jar in our house of the peter pan peanutbutter with the matching code. Thank goodness it wasn't opened. I'm calling my mom and sisters tomorrow to make sure they don't have any in their houses. We already had one open jar in our house of Jiff peanutbutter- but that wasn't on the recall so i hope we're ok to use that.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We get the big 6 lb canister of Peter Pan at Sam's. I checked and it's got the recalled #'s on it. I wonder if Wally World and Sam's will really refund at the store...the PP info says to send the lid w/ applicable # on it to ConAgra Foods. The number on our gigantic canister is on the side, not on the lid. So I have to mail a 9" tall can to Nebraska??? Whatever.

We ate half of it!! Luckily we're fine.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by beandip

We get the big 6 lb canister of Peter Pan at Sam's. I checked and it's got the recalled #'s on it. I wonder if Wally World and Sam's will really refund at the store...the PP info says to send the lid w/ applicable # on it to ConAgra Foods. The number on our gigantic canister is on the side, not on the lid. So I have to mail a 9" tall can to Nebraska??? Whatever.

We ate half of it!! Luckily we're fine.
They should without any questions. When in doubt take a copy of the article with you.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was wondering why all the peter pan peanut butter was off shelves this morning when I went shopping.

Originally Posted by Ping

I hope your son is ok, food poisoning is just awful for children.

We had a jar in the fridge with the matching lot number too, we tossed it. In this house I'm the one that is overly sensitive to anything I eat, luckily I hate peanut butter!

oscarsmommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had an opened jar(and just had a sandwich yesterday
) and a BRAND SPANKIN NEW(like just bought on Wednesday)and tossed them both since they both had the numbers.....What a waste
Peter Pan is the best.....

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My aunt & uncle had just bought a BIG jar - like, the BIG ones you get at Sam's Club- with the same code on the top, and had eaten 1/2 of it already
Their boys had been sick, so they do believe it was from this!