Drooling...

pearla

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So as I go to pick up my kitten Zion, he starts to drool all lover me!???
At first I thought his nose was just running, because hes getting over a cold.
Then I realized that it was coming out of his mouth!
I only noticed it once I picked him up, and he started to purr.
IS IT SOMETHING THAT AUTOMATICALLY HAPPENS WHEN KITTENS PURRR??

His mouth was completely closed. And it was as if he wanted to wipe it all over me? His nose was a little damp.
I also noticed that its ONLY when I pick him up!?? (There are no wet spots near the areas he sleeps)

THANKS!!

stormy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some kitties are just droolers!
Though sometimes it can be from a fever, but that doesn't sound like your kitty if it's only when he purrs.

When I was young we had a kitty named Donny who had cerebral palsy and when he would purr he'd drool so much it was like a mini flood!!

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Isaac likes to "fake Suckle" on my arm. He rubs his mouth on my arm while kneading & drools all over. I've heard of other cats that drool when they are happy.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes if you get a kitten very young they'll turn into droolers, not always though.

I had a cat that would always drool, knead me, and suck on my shirt collar. She just never grew out of those kitten behaviors. She was a persian cross that someone dumped at a vets office at a very young age (6 weeks) because they didn't want to care for the kittens, or have them nursing on their prized purebred kitty.

kittiesx2

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My kitty Diesel is also a Persian cross and man does he drool!!
Mostly all over me when he's purring and kneading. He's a sweet cat, kinda like a drippy faucet though

greycat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Lil' Jag is also a Persian mix and she drools when she purrs as well. It's cute if one doesn't mind a leaky faucet.
We found her a a young kitten.

summerkid710

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Boomie gets beads of drool that ooze out of each side of his closed mouth when he's purring. It would be cute except it's a little gross since he loves to head butt with a wet drooly face.

I asked at the vet too when he started doing this -- I was totally worried he had a mouth infection or something dire.

batgirl2good

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rang_27

My Isaac likes to "fake Suckle" on my arm. He rubs his mouth on my arm while kneading & drools all over. I've heard of other cats that drool when they are happy.
That's cute! By the way, I love your siggy!

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have a drooler- we got her at 6 months, though
. Occasionally, we wake up (with a disgusted start) to drool in our ear!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pearla

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
haha that is soo cute! I read that you can stop drooling by gentling stroking his cheek, to remind him to swallow. Its cute but irritating at the same time! haha

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Radar is a drooler, he likes to wipe it off on my face and once stuck his nose into my eye and I got a saliva eye-bath. It's like he doesn't swallow his saliva when he's purring so it all runs out of his mouth instead. Cuddle times can be quite damp.

snosrap5

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Epona

Radar is a drooler, he likes to wipe it off on my face and once stuck his nose into my eye and I got a saliva eye-bath. It's like he doesn't swallow his saliva when he's purring so it all runs out of his mouth instead. Cuddle times can be quite damp.
Max and Tigger are the same way. Max is worse though. During the night I can here DH grumbling at Max because he will have drool running down his arm.

seppolina

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My sister's cat Otter Pop drools whenever she is particularly pleased. Scratching Otter on the side of the face only seems to make it worse as she LOVES being scratched there. My sister was initially grossed out by it but has come to view it as a sign of love and has accepted that when her cat is happy she is going to get drooled on. She says she'd rather have a drooling, happy cat than a dry, sad one

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think its kinda cute! LOL He just loves being loved on so much he can't help himself. Maybe he will grow out of it somewhat when he gets older, but then he may always do it. Just keep a towel handy during petting time I guess!

huyi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
my cat drools and i thought that there was something wrong with her at first, but this post has reassured me, it's just that it's quite annoying as when my cat drools she shakes her head and all the drool goes over my face
also when she lays on me while i sleep she drools on my arm aswell
she only started to do this recently.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by HUYI

my cat drools and i thought that there was something wrong with her at first, but this post has reassured me, it's just that it's quite annoying as when my cat drools she shakes her head and all the drool goes over my face
also when she lays on me while i sleep she drools on my arm aswell
she only started to do this recently.
How old is your cat? My droolers have always been droolers, since they were young. Some do and some don't. If it's something new in an adult cat...then I would consider that there could be a dental problem or something similar causing the drooling.

devlyn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I also have a couple of droolers. Pippin does it during cuddle time, the ONLY time he purrs he also reverts to being a kitten and kneads and nuzzles/drools on my neck or arm. If I'm sleeping and I won't lift my head up so he can nuzzle my neck, he'll jam his gooey mouth into my mouth. Ick!
I also got him young, at about 5 weeks.
Morris doesn't drool on me, but he does drool on a fake fur blanket I have, while kneading.
I had a cat when I was a child who would drool so much and suckle on my night clothes, I'd wake up soaked. It's a wonder he didn't get dehydrated!
I think it's a comfort thing.

Devlyn

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Devlyn

I had a cat when I was a child who would drool so much and suckle on my night clothes, I'd wake up soaked. It's a wonder he didn't get dehydrated!
I think it's a comfort thing.

Devlyn
I had one of those as a kid too! I have to change my nighty to go back to sleep or to eat breakfast!

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've never had a drooler myself, but I've known several, most notably my SIL's RB Chaucer. He was a sweet boy, but definitely in the leaky faucet camp.