Genetics explanation?

jlutgendorf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was wondering if someone could explain the genetics of this cat, Phantom:

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...a/IMG_1113.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...a/IMG_0007.jpg

He's not mine, but belongs to a member of another board I visit and when I saw him, I was just amazed as I've never seen a cat like him before! She gave me permission to post his image here to see what you guys think.

I'm guessing his blue eyes have something to do with his white spot?

~Julia

Edit: Link fixed, thanks Sharky!

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Very pretty! I can't answer your questions, just wanted to tell you what a pretty cat. I've never seen a tabby with blue eyes!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know nothing about color cat genetics but maybe a piebald gene in there??

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jlutgendorf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She also mentioned that the very tip of his tail is white and he came from a litter of tabbies and had a brother who had a blue eye and a green eye. (don't know if he had any white spots or not.)

~Julia

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A silver tabby with BLUE eyes??????? Heck if I know. I know the normal genetics but the weird ones still have me stumped. I still don't have an explantion for Ling's 4 color changes (born blue tabby/white) then (blue point with blue tabby body) then (seal point with blue tabby body) and now black and white cat!

jlutgendorf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all the replys! I think you're right and that the white spotting gene is what gives him his blue eyes since it goes over part of his face.

The interesting thing is she doesn't think his odd eyed brother had any white spots (or at least none on his face or other easily visible parts of the body). The whole litter was tabby as well, no pointed cats.

~Julia

jlutgendorf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Here's another questions, in one of the photos his are reflecting as yellow, don't blue eyed cats normally reflect red?

~Julia

godiva

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They look to be reflecting reddish-orange to me.

That cat is amazing! I've always wanted a blue-eyed tabby ever since I heard of the Ojos Azules, supposedly a breed (that is very rare) that expresses blue eyes (not of the Siamese type) and regular coats. It's apparently a lethal gene if two of these cats are bred together. I don't know if your friend's cat has this gene, but he sure is an unusual cat! Very nifty.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I kinda suspect there may be some Japanese Bobtail genes in that "breed". Those are the only cats I've seen that have abnormal eye color with coat colors. I've seen blue eyed red tabbies and odd-eye red tabbies in the breed (from a JBT book). So these odd eye/coat colors just may be coming from some gene the JBT's carry.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jlutgendorf

I was wondering if someone could explain the genetics of this cat, Phantom:

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...a/IMG_1113.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...a/IMG_0007.jpg

He's not mine, but belongs to a member of another board I visit and when I saw him, I was just amazed as I've never seen a cat like him before! She gave me permission to post his image here to see what you guys think.

I'm guessing his blue eyes have something to do with his white spot?

~Julia

Edit: Link fixed, thanks Sharky!
That's the color of Topaz's eyes! It's been hard to get a good pic because I can never catch her in a well lit room and her irises are contracted.