Furminator review

salemwitchchild

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I decided since Puff has weekly episodes of hairballs with me giving him the hairball treatment that I would step up his grooming with a better brush. I bought a furminator and I love it.
I was amazed at the amount of hair I pulled off of him and I could have kept going. I also used it on Kota and I could have pretty much made a small dog with what came off her.

consumerkitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got one too and boy does it get a lot of loose fur off my kitties. CC was having trouble with furballs recently so I got one and he's doing better now. I'm not sure how often you're supposed to use it. Does anyone know?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

salemwitchchild

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ConsumerKitty

I got one too and boy does it get a lot of loose fur off my kitties. CC was having trouble with furballs recently so I got one and he's doing better now. I'm not sure how often you're supposed to use it. Does anyone know?
I'm not sure but I figured once or twice a week would be ok.. Puff was certainly irritated afterward. But I had Sierra there waiting with treats.

salemwitchchild

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CommonOddity042

Same. Pudge dislikes it, but Typhus loves it. It's also excellent for getting their hair off of their carpeted furniture, which has a habit of gradually turning completely grey.
huh. never thought of that. I'll have to try it. I'm constantly pulling hair off his cat tree.

sicycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I must not be using it right because I think its horrible

It doesnt pull barely any hair off and it seems like it hurts them since its such a thick chunk of steel. And the angle of it is so odd. I dont get it
And I spent a lot of money on it too.

This is what I have, is it the same thing?

consumerkitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sicycat

I must not be using it right because I think its horrible

It doesnt pull barely any hair off and it seems like it hurts them since its such a thick chunk of steel. And the angle of it is so odd. I dont get it
And I spent a lot of money on it too.

This is what I have, is it the same thing?

That's the one. It works really well for my kitties. Your babies have more sensitive skin, it seems. They have a money back guarantee. How long ago did you buy it?

sicycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh man, quite a while ago and I bought in off ebay so yeah no returning it lol.
Maybe I'll try again tonite when I get home. Is there a certain way you should brush them with it? I dont have any other problems with other brushes and actually find that this kind works best for me and pulls out so much hair I could knit a sweater with it.

pekoe & nigel

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I got one for my Mom's long-haired cat Frances the other week. My Mom would brush her every day with a regular brush and there'd still be clumps of fur all over the floor and more hairballs than you'd like. Well the Furminator works just perfectly for Fran. She gets done once or twice a week and she's so smooth and soft afterwards. The first time we did her we didn't want to be too rough with her so we only did a little bit, but found that it almost did more harm than good as it seemed to loosen more fur without fully removing it. But the next time my Mom did it more thoroughly, and finished her off with her regular brush to get off any remaining hair and her shedding (and hairballs) have really gotten better. Definitely a great product.

A note about the odd angle of the brush: My Mom thinks that it's like that so you're forced to hold it at a certain angle against the cat's fur. She thinks that if you were able to use it at a more comfortable angle you might get rougher than you think with the grooming and irritate the cat's skin. Just a guess on her part really, but it seems to make sense.

P.S. Frances' new wrestling name (when she wrestles with the other kittens) is Fran "The Furminator". I think it's hilarious.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I LOVE mine! All of my cats love it too!

Sicycat you might want to try the medium size instead of the small ........

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine all love being brushed by the Furminator, if you go to their website, there is a 'trick' to brushing them properly and you should slightly lift the skin away when brushing.
I too use the medium one

salemwitchchild

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by icklemiss21

Mine all love being brushed by the Furminator, if you go to their website, there is a 'trick' to brushing them properly and you should slightly lift the skin away when brushing.
I too use the medium one
That's what the instructions say to do with mine too. And it says too much brushing can cause irritation. So don't overdo it.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is the medium size the best one to get? Is that what most of you have?

It's intriguing when I see the amount of hair it can remove...I'm just wondering if my kitties will put up with it. They don't care too much for being brushed, mostly because I've been lax about doing it so they're not used to it.

Between a zoom groom, slicker brush, and a flea comb - they prefer the flea comb of all things.

If they put up with the flea comb, you think they'd put up with the Furminator?

salemwitchchild

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by beandip

Is the medium size the best one to get? Is that what most of you have?

It's intriguing when I see the amount of hair it can remove...I'm just wondering if my kitties will put up with it. They don't care too much for being brushed, mostly because I've been lax about doing it so they're not used to it.

Between a zoom groom, slicker brush, and a flea comb - they prefer the flea comb of all things.

If they put up with the flea comb, you think they'd put up with the Furminator?
I think if your using it for a med-large breed dog and cats the medium is an excellent choice. And if your cats are good with the flea comb they should have no problem with this brush.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SalemWitchChild

I think if your using it for a med-large breed dog and cats the medium is an excellent choice. And if your cats are good with the flea comb they should have no problem with this brush.
Thanks
I think this is one of those things I must have. I love new toys

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by SalemWitchChild

I agree! Mine love the comb, too and love the FURminator! Eithne (icklemiss21) originally bought the small one but then got the med. size one ....... and let us know, that was a great size so I know Helen (Bella713) and myself got the med one based on that and its been great!

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It can cause some irritation if overgroomed (as can any brush) Bumper decided to brush himself against it all day (you should have seen the fur!) and had a thinning spot where he had been brushing against it.

But yeah, definitely the medium one, I got a fair bit of fur out with the small one but it took so long with a smaller brush that they were getting over stimulated and biting, a friend had the medium one so I tried that and they loved it, so I bought one for them.

rosey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I didn't like it either and barely pulled anything off. I bought a regular brush like the other picture posted and I got so much hair off my cats.