Any one had a cat that sleeps very deeply

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When my Smokey was old & sick she would sleep very deeply and be difficult to wake up, but never when she was young. My Jordan will be 4 in May & he scared the daylights out of me last night. My Mom called at 3:30 AM (that's a whole other story don't even get me started). Jordan was asleep between my feet, I touched him & he didn't move. I picked him up & he was limp like a wet noodle. Well I had to say his name a couple times before he woke up. He finally did & then curled back up & went back to sleep. In the morning he was fine, woke right up & started begging for food. He just made me so nervous last night, anyone else have a cat that dose that to them.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes Rosie did a couple of years ago and she scared the hell out of me
She was fast asleep on my lap and started twitching like they do when their dreaming?. I stroked her gently and then she stopped. I lifted her front paw up and dropped it and she never moved, so i did it again and still no movement from her. I started to gently lift her and like Jordan she was all limp, at that point i panicked and shook her slightly calling out her name, then all of a sudden she jumped up awake and leapt away from me and hissed, but after i spoke to her calmly she just came back and settled back down again.

I think she was just in a really deep sleep and it sounds like Jordan was as well.

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I no longer have this cat, but a very sweet (diabetic sweet, that is), very old, toothless, clawless kitty I adopted a long time ago slept like this ... one of the symptoms of insulin overdose is muscle twitching and when I went in to check on her one afternoon, she was apparently asleep and just a'twitchin away ... I grabbed her up, held her up close to my face, shook her gently and cried loudly, "WHITNEY!!!". She woke up quite startled, slapped me across my face with both of her clawless paws and bit down hard with smooth little pink gummers right on the bridge of my nose. I had two black eyes for about 10 days!

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's funny. Peaches sleeps so sound she snores and sometimes she'll start distress meowing in her sleep. I have to say her name and she'll stop meowing and wake up enough to look up at me. Then she curls back up and goes right back to sleep. She doesn't go limp. I do though! But that's another story (narcolepsy).

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gayef

I grabbed her up, held her up close to my face, shook her gently and cried loudly, "WHITNEY!!!". She woke up quite startled, slapped me across my face with both of her clawless paws and bit down hard with smooth little pink gummers right on the bridge of my nose. I had two black eyes for about 10 days!
Round 1: Whitney!

You're very lucky that wasn't a cat with claws and teeth, that would have been a horrible hospital trip.
Not to mention how a cat bite to the face would feel.

I've walked up on Max sleeping in the sun outside, called his name and " kitty kitty" with no response. I made the mistake of gently shaking him.
I was lucky his reaction was to bolt instead of turn and bite! Poor thing was halfway across the yard before he calmed down and realized it was just me.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maias not a year old yet and she has scared me a few times! Had to shake her a little, she looked at me like 'what, what, whats up....'
then back to sleep.......

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Duchess (who is no longer with us) used to do that a few times. She would sleep with me at night and I would sometimes pet her when I woke up. Well, a couple of times she wouldn't move at all! Scared the crap out of me. I'd tried to call her name, wouldn't work. I ended up shaking her to death because I was afraid she had died! She did wake up after I did that.

greycat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My RB kitty was also a sound sleeper as well - not even the vacuum could wake him. Now that Kuce is getting up there in years, she has taken to sleeping soundly and snoring. Luvbug is just getting started in the sleeping soundly department.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dushka has always been a sound sleeper - I can pick her up and move her and she never stirs. I have even carried her from room to room asleep, and the most she does is sigh softly. But she has always done it, so I don't worry about it.

proudkittiemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
thats bella, when she sleeps its deep and she also makes some funny noises when shes in a deep sleep, and she snores too !!! The first time she did all of this it too took me a couple of times to get her awake but I did and well I figured out that that was normal for some kitties !!! It just makes me laugh when bella is sound asleep because of all her noises she makes

kura

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Last night when I was say good night to the girls, I stroked Quicksliver (who woke up and gave me a mouth full.) Then I stroked Creep and she did move I said good night to her a few times. I then poked her gently and she didn't wake up. I then shook her softly... She did move and it was only when I put my hands on her and shook her a bit harder. She then woke up and scratched my hands to pieces.
She gave me the fright of my life.

pekoe & nigel

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
About a week after I got him, Pekoe was sleeping soundly in my lap when he started twitching and shaking in his sleep. I assumed he was having a vivid dream so I put my hand on him to calm him down. Well that didn't work, so I started poking him to wake him up.... and poked and poked and nothing would get my new little kitty up. I was starting to panic because I thought he was having some sort of seizure when he woke up as normal as ever.

Oh, and he snores. And breathes really deeply in his sleep too...

aussie_dog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Molly does this every now and then and it scares the poop out of me. Most of the time it appears that she's stopped breathing, and I'll pat her and she won't move. Then I'll start shaking her harder, all but yelling her name, and suddenly I'll see her belly rise up again, and if I was shaking her, she'll pop her head up and look at me. Glad to hear other cats do this, I was beginning to wonder if maybe she had a heart issue or something, lol

mamakitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've never owned any pet up until my two kitties so I was really scared seeing them twitching while they were asleep. I thought they were having a seizure so I tried waking them up but it took some poking and shaking. When they woke up, they just looked at me like "what? can't you see I'm sleeping?" I started to do some research and found that they twitch because they are extremely relaxed and possibly dreaming. It's similar to how human twitches when we are deep asleep so our muscles are relaxed.