Kitten Neuter Questions

kittiesx2

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi, my kitten was neutered on Monday. They had to open him up to find a missing testicle and so he has a large incision in his belly

I was wondering if anyone had advice on the best way to care for the incision. The paperwork that was sent home with him said to clean with peroxide but I would rather leave it be if it is safe to. There's no swelling or drainage and he's (mostly) leaving it alone. Also, does anyone have an idea of how long this will take to heal? Thanks

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you do decide to clean it with peroxide, dilute the peroxide with warm water first. Peroxide actually can damage the healing skin. Personally, I would leave it alone and let nature take its own course, unless you see signs of infection or swelling, then I would take him back to the vet.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Beandip had the same operation. The wound healed fairly quickly (I'd say 80% within a week or so)...but it's been awhile and we didn't have any trouble so it's not real memorable for me.

I didn't have to tend to it at all. Same with all my girls and their spay incisions, which are similar.

Just keep an eye out for any discharge or significant swelling.

bkydrose

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When my cat had this surgery, I did nothing to the incision, and did not receive any post-op instructions to clean it. The stitches (there were only 3) were taken out after 14 days and the incision was healed enough by then that the stitches weren't needed. He had two undescended testicles so the surgery was similar to a female cat's spaying. If you see any inflamation or drainage, I think you should contact the vet clinic for guidance.

bkydrose

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittiesx2

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks! I thought that it would be alright to leave it be but I'm glad to hear the same from other people. It's my first time dealing with a big incision.My other boy kitty had a normal neuter and was back to himself within two days. Poor little Tucker is still really sore and does everything so gingerly. Every move is well thought out
Poor little guy
He is starting to play a little this morning though, so I'd say he's on the mend

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
aww poor Tucker, hope he is feeling better soon! When I had my girl spayed, she had dissolving stitches and didnt require any cleaning or anything with her surgery site. I wouldn't worry about it unless he starts looking infected and sore, then just take him to the vet.

stormy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My nieces kitty had the same thing...I don't think she had to do anything special for the incision. I think her kitty was up and back to his old self in no time!

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gayef

If you do decide to clean it with peroxide, dilute the peroxide with warm water first. Peroxide actually can damage the healing skin. Personally, I would leave it alone and let nature take its own course, unless you see signs of infection or swelling, then I would take him back to the vet.
This is what I was going to say, I also want to add I'd leave it alone unless it looks infected.

kittiesx2

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Tucker seems to be feeling MUCH better today

He's been running all over the place today and climbing his cat tree (when he came home from the Vet he was mewing for help everytime that he wanted up or down)
His incision looks good as well, no swelling or drainage

kittiesx2

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Tucker's developed some swelling around his incision and so he went into the Vet to have it checked this morning. They said that it is probably a reaction to his sutures and as long as it doesn't begin to get red/infected not to worry.
I'm such a worrier when it comes to my kittens. I'll just keep a really close eye on him and hope that it heals well.