Any Suggestions - Help With Hanging Toys

ptnfl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Anyone have any ideas as to what I can hang my cat toys with other than the string they are hanging on when I buy them. Everyone I hang is immediately broken by my tabby. She goes right for the string, bites it until the toy drops, then of course walks again as if her job is done.

I know better than to hang them on anything that they can get hurt on like fishing line, wire etc. but can't figure out what I can use to solve the problem. Does anyone have a similar problem that you have resolved. I have 4 furbabies so usually what one doesn't think of the other does do I am open to suggestions.

Thanks

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ptnfl

Anyone have any ideas as to what I can hang my cat toys with other than the string they are hanging on when I buy them. Everyone I hang is immediately broken by my tabby. She goes right for the string, bites it until the toy drops, then of course walks again as if her job is done.

I know better than to hang them on anything that they can get hurt on like fishing line, wire etc. but can't figure out what I can use to solve the problem. Does anyone have a similar problem that you have resolved. I have 4 furbabies so usually what one doesn't think of the other does do I am open to suggestions.

Thanks
What about shoelaces? Those are thicker than string and hopefully your cats won't bite right through them.

As a side note, you should always supervise your cats when they are playing with any kind of string, because if any pieces get eaten, they could get caught in the intestines and cause all sorts of problems.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ptnfl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Jenny 82, that sounds like it might work; never thought of shoe laces. Will let you know how it works. Thanks for the suggestion I appreciate it.

sicycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I stopped using those hanging toys because Saki always manages to wrap himself up in them and it scares the you know what outta me lol. The shoelace idea sounds good though, or a thicker rope maybe.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have a shoelace tied onto one of the boys favorite mousey toys- its short enuf that they can't get tangled into it, but long enought that they can bat it around for some fun

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Dad liked to use nylon twine for lots of jobs around the house. Needs sharp scissors or knife to cut and you singe the cut end to melt the fibers so that they don't unravel. (I used to make all my loops for making string figures - "cat's cradle" - out of this twine.)

We used it a couple of times to hang toys for the cats and I don't recall any chewing through it.

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can get thin and very inexpensive chain at any hardware store, and use twist ties or something (small piece of wire with ends well hidden) to attach the toys.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ptnfl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. They all sound great. I think I'll start with the shoe string first. I got some at the store today. Hopefully it will work. I don't know how these manufacturers don't realize that these things aren't going to last for two minutes (or maybe they do).

Thanks very much.