Soleil has got me mad - she peed on a towel!

x-ta-z

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I know I'm probably the million and ten'th person with this topic and I know there is a sticky thread, but I am just so mad at Soleil right now that I have to get it out of my system and I hope you guys have a word of advice or maybe even two or three...

During her time around the house (with Singa being there and hissing at her every now and then), Soleil went back to her room (the guest toilet). I was wondering why she kept going in and now stayed longer than expected, so I went to see what she was up to..
... she was squatting on the towel I put on the floor for her to cuddle up in and PEED!!!!!!

I AM SOOOOOOOOO UPSET NOW!
Singa has NEVER peed ANYWHERE but her litterbox (except twice in the bathroom sink - which is still better than something that soaks it up!!!!).
I am ready to give her back, because I don't want a cat that I can't trust to pee where she should. I have had such luck with Singa and I know it spoiled me, but I'm really mad at Soleil!
And In don't get why, because the litter box was less than a meter away from the towel!

I was planning on moving her to the guest room so that she has more space to roam around while we are not at home, but I have a brand new sofa bed in there and I don't want to through it just because little Miss Pee can't go where she should!
And she was doing such a good job in the litter box before...

I know I may be overly sensitive right now, but with all the stress of brining Singa and her together, this is really something I didn't need on top of it!

Now two small questions:
1. Can I still use the towel if I wash it at 95 degrees? Or must I use a special cleaner?
2. I wiped the floor with anti-bacterial bathroom cleaner. Is that enough or will the urine smell stick in the grout and she may pee on the floor again??

And how I can get her to stop, I guess I'll try looking it up in the sticky thread and then come back if I don't get it.... But I really am scared that she may pee somewhere around the house that she shouldn't...

kittenkiya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I understand your frustration. I need to ask you some questions.

Was there any blood in the urine? If there was, she probably has a urinary tract infection and needs to be seen.

If there wasn't, she still needs to be see, or at least your vet needs to be called and told of the inapproriate peeing, because that is usually a sign of a UTI. ( I know you knew that)

Has she been eating, drinking like normal? Has she been stressed out lately? Is she being "picked on" by another cat? All of these could contribute to the problem.

Soooothing headbuts and calming licks from KittenKiya's Clan.

malakaiii

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The kitten is still really little... only about 6 weeks old, right? I wouldn't be sending her back over this as it's definitely something that can be worked out in kittens!

My cat did this when she was small. We found that we had to keep towels that we'd showered with and the bathmat off the floor to prevent it... but that's not such a bad thing anyway. I wouldn't worry about your couch too much, but piles of smelly dirty clothes can also be a choice for cats that are having a problem with this.

The good thing is that it does go away! You may want to try changing her litterbox material, once we put something softer in there for her she used it exclusively.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

x-ta-z

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well.. she just came from the vet on Tuesday and all was fine. There was no blood either. I think it is not a UTI... but I can call up the vet tomorrow... I assume she is rather stressed out, because I just got her on Sunday and my older cat Singa is not too fond of her.
The previous days we were trying to keep them apart, but today I gave it a try to let them both roam around at the same time. (see my thread "How long does it take" http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=115094)

Could it be that she felt safer peeing on the towel, which is behind the half-open door to her room than in the litterbox, which is basically next to the door, and Singa could have seen her there??? It was after Singa hissed at her and watched her every move...

kittenkiya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my, I didn't realize the kitten was so young. Of course she is stressed.

And she will pee anywhere she feels safe enough, especially if she is being stalked.

Oh my, if she just came back from the vets with a clean slate, then scratch the vet call and work on the stalking, hissing, stressing issues.

Poor baby.

x-ta-z

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Malakaiii

The good thing is that it does go away! You may want to try changing her litterbox material, once we put something softer in there for her she used it exclusively.
I know I am oversensitive right now...

I am using the pine based pellets. The problem is... previosly I was using pine dust... or what ever you call the sof version of the pine based one. But that got everywhere... the kitten was full of the stuff, I was full of the stuff. And I even carried it into my bed via my feet

So I switched to the one Singa is using, the pellets.
Since she is so young, I cannot use clumping one and the pet-shop guy couldn't help me out on which one is a clay-based.. I have the feeling in Singapore there is only clumping or pine- or paper-pellets.

x-ta-z

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittenKiya

Oh my, I didn't realize the kitten was so young. Of course she is stressed.

And she will pee anywhere she feels safe enough, especially if she is being stalked.

Oh my, if she just came back from the vets with a clean slate, then scratch the vet call and work on the stalking, hissing, stressing issues.

Poor baby.
I'm at it and it's stressing me out as well, but I don't pee next to my toilet!!!

I really hope that is the only problem she has... then there is hope.. maybe I should move the litterbox somwhere more hidden...

x-ta-z

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosiemac

You really have to stop stressing as well because this is only going to upset the kitten
Please remember she's a tiny baby who needs you as her mum
I know.. I really would have hoped that Singa is easier to convince a playmate is fun.
And Soleil is so much more work as a kitten that Singa was...
But she is just lovable... I already went in and apologized for scolding her just now

So how about the towel and the tiled floor? Will I need an enzyme cleaner or is it done with 'normal' cleaning as mentioned above in those 2 cases??

pombina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The cats house, we just pay the mortgage..
Im glad you have calmed down a little.
I can only echo what the others have said, and you know it already, but this baby is so small. Ideally kittens should be with their mothers until they are 8-10 weeks so her being away at 6 weeks obviously brings along problems.
If it does happen again, which it might, please do not shout at your sweet girl. She won't know what she has done wrong. If you catch her in the act, the best thing to do is move her (if possible, without getting pee everywhere), or move the litter pan closer to her and put her in it.
If you see her smelling around the floor, it will probably mean she needs to pee or poop, so again, pick her up and take her to the litter. She'll get the message eventually.
Dont stress about Singa. She will come around eventually.
You have only had this kitten in your home for a few days and unfortunately, it takes longer than that.
You will need to supervise visits between them until Singa has learnt to accept this new baby.
Good luck with it all, its obvious you care about your babies

P.S Im not sure about the right cleaner for the floor but somebody will be able to tell you, Im sure.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm having similar issues with Sonic at the moment, I've posted a thread in behaviour if you want to have a look at that for ideas as well.

I just want to say that I know how frustrating it is, and when I wake up to find another wet patch I feel a mix of emotions (sadness, guilt that I am doing something wrong, cross that I have to clean up again), but you can't let yourself display these in front of the kitten - they are only little babies and they need our love and support and gentle guidance to get it right. Yelling or crying will just make them feel more insecure and if they are having litterbox problems that could be due to insecurity or stress, then it could make it worse.

I know you know that already
and I am glad that you have calmed down. It is frustrating.

tru

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
For litter, you could pick up some chicken feed. It is safe for kittens and it also clumps. Any feed type store will have it.

I'm thinking that the pellets may be too uncomfortable for her feet. If you get her a into a softer litter and still have problems with her peeing out of the box, then you should take her back to the vet to be checked for a urinary tract infection. The stress of the new home and the fear of the other cat could possibly caused her to get an infection and should be checked into.

You should check the threads on introducing cats and kittens before turning such a little one loose in the house.

She would probably feel a little safer in closer quarters and spending most of her awake time with you.

I hope it all works out quickly and well.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pombina

If you catch her in the act, the best thing to do is move her (if possible, without getting pee everywhere), or move the litter pan closer to her and put her in it.
If you see her smelling around the floor, it will probably mean she needs to pee or poop, so again, pick her up and take her to the litter. She'll get the message eventually.
Pixel peed on my bed when i first got her - she & Mouse had been 'outside' kittens, & i don't think they had used a box much at all. i covered my mattress with plastic until i could finally 'catch' her in the act, then i moved her to the litterbox while she was peeing. that was the last time she peed anywhere else until she had a UTI recently.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't know how many litterboxes you have, but when my two were babies i would leave a box downstairs and one upstairs just incase they got caught short and had to quickly go.

Plus when my two were small i tried to keep them in one room for a few days because one room to them will seem huge anyway, so imagine having to walk around a house or an apartment being so small

xxtashaxx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i dont know if this will help much , but if she was used to the outdoors if i remember rightly she was a stray yes?
we had a stray a while ago that would not use the litter box, someone suggested using a little soil ( dirt) instead of litter , well it worked and i started mixing soil and litter untill it was just litter in there. never had any problems since. i know some ones cat who will only use newspaper to wee on lol so she has to have that in the box , and no she dosnt use everything newspaper in site.
i wouldnt use the towl again imo .

emmylou

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, I would use an enzymatic cleaner on the floor and even put a little bit in the wash with the towel. It's a good idea.

Since this kitten is so small and you're having trouble finding the right kind of litter where you are, I think you should use torn-up newspaper for her. It would be a good idea to give her her own small litter box in a place she will feel safe (the place where she peed is a good idea). Also, make sure it is a small litterbox with low sides, so that she can easily climb into it. And watch to make sure that the other cat isn't scaring or bothering her when she tries to go to the bathroom.

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you can get Dreft detergent (for babies) someone had said (around here somewhere) that she used a little Dreft mixed with water in a spray bottle for an enzyme cleaner, so I washed my "cat pee load"(2 cats with UTIs
) with regular detergent, and then the Dreft- cat pee smell gone
. Then I sprayed it again with Simple Solution spray

If you catbox has a lid, I would get her a low sided one without a lid until she's bigger. My last foster used a plastic shoebox with the Feline Pine in it (which BTW, I hated), and then, a few weeks later, suddenly discovered the "big cats' box
" with the clumping litter, and started using it all the time, high sides, lid and all (and since she wasn't interested in eating it- I've had a few who did- I just took up the little box and let her

Also, taking up any more "convenient" spots (like the towel
) will encourage her to go where she's supposed to. And like was said previously, I kept my really young kittens in an area near the litterbox, until I was sure they could find it in time from the other end of the house

Good luck- she's really young- she'll learn.

x-ta-z

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tru

For litter, you could pick up some chicken feed. It is safe for kittens and it also clumps. Any feed type store will have it.

I'm thinking that the pellets may be too uncomfortable for her feet. If you get her a into a softer litter and still have problems with her peeing out of the box, then you should take her back to the vet to be checked for a urinary tract infection. The stress of the new home and the fear of the other cat could possibly caused her to get an infection and should be checked into.

You should check the threads on introducing cats and kittens before turning such a little one loose in the house.

She would probably feel a little safer in closer quarters and spending most of her awake time with you.

I hope it all works out quickly and well.
Hi Trudy,
Chicken feed is impossible to get in Signapore - the only chicken I have ever seen was the one on my plate or at the supermarket

I finally found clay-based litter today and bought a pack. (I had asked at the store before but the incompentent staff had told me they don't have this)

I also bought enzyme cleaner (and they also just said they didn't have it, but I didn't give up and found a whole row in the dog section
)

Regarding the possible UTI - of course I will monitor it, but after the accident, she went back to using the litter box...

For the point of letting her out or not. She will usually just run out of her room as soon as I open the door - regardless of Singa's hissing - and I usually lock her in again or take her to a different room to play with her. Yesterday, I gave it a try to see how Singa reacts after these 4 days (and the preparation of making Soleil smell similar to Singa) and Singa's behavior has gotten a bit better. You can read about the whole story at my other thread http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=115094.
And to be honest - I am happy I gave it a try, because now I am full of hope that sooner or later the two will get along... regardless of Soleil's accident.
I found it positive for their relationship

x-ta-z

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosiemac

I don't know how many litterboxes you have, but when my two were babies i would leave a box downstairs and one upstairs just incase they got caught short and had to quickly go.

Plus when my two were small i tried to keep them in one room for a few days because one room to them will seem huge anyway, so imagine having to walk around a house or an apartment being so small
I have two litterboxes - one for Signa in a spare bathroom next to the kitchen and one for Soleil (with low sides) in her room (guest bathroom) at the other end of the apartment.

And Soleil is far from being scared of the size of the apartment. She can't get enough it at. She is pretty brave - and if signa wasn't hissing at her then she would have jumped all over her too

x-ta-z

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by emmylou

Yes, I would use an enzymatic cleaner on the floor and even put a little bit in the wash with the towel. It's a good idea.

Since this kitten is so small and you're having trouble finding the right kind of litter where you are, I think you should use torn-up newspaper for her. It would be a good idea to give her her own small litter box in a place she will feel safe (the place where she peed is a good idea). Also, make sure it is a small litterbox with low sides, so that she can easily climb into it. And watch to make sure that the other cat isn't scaring or bothering her when she tries to go to the bathroom.
I have put the box behind the bathroom doo, so that even if the door is open a bit, she still has her privacy.

I'm sure it was the main problem - tho i did find some clay litter whcih I will give a try (may mixed with pine pellets)

THANKS @ ALL for the support and I hope the little bubble will be good from now on.
will keep you posted on how it goes with her litter box training..