Stomping Cat, Confused Me!

chelsey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've had my 2 year old cat for about 7 months now. He was previously with a couple who were in the process of moving, and from what I understand, neglected to show him much love, affection, or at best attention. When he moved in, he was nervous and shy, and so covered in dandruff that it was hard to get near him (which I understand was a side effect of stress) he's now happy here with me, he is affectionate, and smart, talkative, and all around quite the character ( I know, everyone loves their cat best! haha). He has this one mannerism that I'm not sure how to decipher however. I believe it is to show affection, but I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts. A couple times a day, he presses his head against myself or the couch and does this stomping motion with his paws, all the while purring as odd as it sounds, he also rapidly licks his lips/makes a slurping noise when you rub or scratch him on his lower back!! HE absolutely loves it!

Any thoughts?

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it sounds like your kitty really loves you, and is showing you affection. That is a good thing, and not all cats are affectionate. Enjoy it!

Dusty loves to lay on me, and get as close to my face as she can. She rubs her forehead against my lips and purrs loudly. She is giving me kitty kisses.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chelsey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
aww I sure hope so. I was more or less wondering if anyone had noticed the same trait(s) in their feline friend(s). He sure is something special.

amaranth

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've seen one of my cats do that a few times when she's purring a lot and really happy. I don't know what else to say about it, except it's almost like she can't contain herself. So glad to hear your story. It sounds like your kitty has a wonderful life now.

tru

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The "stomping" is actually "mixing" or kneading, the action they perform as kits at mama's breast where they bring forth milk.

Most contented kits will do this with the ones they love when they are relaxed and happy.

I can't think of many things I love more than to have a kit purring and "mixing" on me.

dalisca

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The "stomping" is called "kneading", much as a baker might knead dough. It's the paw motion that kittens use to help while trying to get milk from their mothers. So, if your kitty is kneading around you, then they must think you're their mamma!

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here in Texas, we call it "makin' biscuits." And my Pearl often does it with ALL her paws at once -- four-wheel-drive biscuits!

Sounds like you have an awfully sweet kitty there...

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And I've always known it as mixing puddings
Radar will usually lie down on me and mix puddings in the air with his feet rather than knead on me. Sonic stands on my shoulder when I am in bed and stomps on me. I like your description of 'stomping', I think when a cat is doing it standing up, it is a very appropriate word to use!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chelsey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

Here in Texas, we call it "makin' biscuits." And my Pearl often does it with ALL her paws at once -- four-wheel-drive biscuits!

Sounds like you have an awfully sweet kitty there...
"Four-wheel-drive-biscuits!" Hahahaha! That's adorable!

dalisca

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've heard "making biscuits" before from a friend of mine. I love it when she calls it that! It's so cute!

emmylou

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My cat will also press his head against my side or head-butt me when he's happy.

xxtashaxx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
lol we call it the belly dance here , as 9 times out of 10 they will do it on our bellys. can hurt a bit sometimes but i love it , to me it means there happy and content. i only have 1 cat here who will not do it , even the stray we took in will do it , and his only been here a little over 2 weeks

sicycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I call it 'making a nest'
Zoey likes to do this on particular blankets or pillows. Saki likes to do it on my neck or hair while he's licking my earlobes