C/D past/present users!!! Liver ?'s

ryanjay

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If you EVER used this food please...Were you ever told of any possible risk of increased liver failure in the cat who had the RX or others that would be eating it? I have had a cat on since april 05 and since then lost my almost 10 yo to liver failure(jan 22) and taking in my other cat tommorow for lack of interest in eating and basically same symptoms. I had another cat die in 05 but he had a VERY rough first year and always put it towards taht but these two we had since 5/6 weeks(not related) I think I am just desperate for any answers as I am so lost...I am feeding him some kitten milk and nutrical by eye dropper-figure it can't hurt till tom. also through some antibiotic into it(a half dose) I feel like such a bad owner at this point

Thanks for anything you may have and taking the time to read this

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Most vets i have talked to try not too use this food for long /maintence ... usually about 6 months ... I wish I could help further

carm

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One of the best vet clinics in town (also a 24 h emergency clinic), as well as my own vet recommended that my FLUTD kitty stay on an RX maintenance food (either Hill's C/D or Royal Canin S/O) for his entire life. There are obviously various different opinions amongst veterinarians and experts about this. I've never come across any evidence that feeding a cat RX food can cause liver failure.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Now, I know the SD s/d bag says not for long term use. I always wondered how good SD c/d was long term. Honestly, I'm personally not comfortable with feeding it long term.

I really hope your cat is OK!

jean44

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Eric had been on C/D since 2001 until recently. Due to other medical problems (possible diabetes) he is now on a different diet. I'm giving him Carpon in hopes of maintaining correct urine acidity. The vet always indicated he'd be on C/D for life. I have never heard about liver problems with cats eating C/D long term. Very interesting if there is a possible connection.

Ryanjay, don't feel that you've done anything wrong. You did what the vet recommended. You were trying to do the best thing for your kitties. It's also possible that the liver failure was caused by something other than the C/D. If you get any further information please post it. All of us who have been feeding C/D long term will be interested.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i have had my cats on c/d a few times. i don't think we ever stayed on it more than a year at a time though. i was NEVER told about possible liver problems. and when they were on it (each time) i was told they had to be on it for the rest of their lives. i've used it when they were having problems, but then transitioned to regular food over time. i do make sure whatever kibble i buy is going to be ok for their urinary health, and they get 2/3 of their diet from wet food. so i haven't used c/d in several years.

i'm so sorry about the loss of your kitty.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We've been on c/d since oct. '05. We weren't warned about any possible liver trouble from it...nor have we had any trouble. I'm sorry for your losses.

All of mine eat it and my vet is comfortable with that. She's not $$ motivated, either. That said, I do supplement with quite a bit of canned food to keep the others out of the c/d for the most part. I hope not to be on it forever.

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is it the same bag of food? If they both lost interest over the same bag of food, it's possible the bag has gone rancid--we once had a dog who refused to eat for several days before we figured out that the batch of food we had had gone bad.

You're not a bad owner--you noticed the signs of a problem and scheduled them for a vet appointment. Cats are notoriously picky eaters, and when you have multiple cats it can be very hard to tell when one of them stops eating. Because of the way their metabolism is, when a cat stops eating for more than a day or two, they often don't want to start again and have to be assist-fed to get them eating on their own again.

I'm not sure that the food is the cause--it sounds like both kitties weren't eating? That can happen with any food, not just c/d. I wish you the best of luck with your kitty. Please let us know how he is doing.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cloud_shade

Is it the same bag of food? If they both lost interest over the same bag of food, it's possible the bag has gone rancid--we once had a dog who refused to eat for several days before we figured out that the batch of food we had had gone bad.
That's a very good point.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sure that in the UK, C/D says to only be used for a maximum of 6 months, then to use S/D. I personally only used it for a couple of weeks though - the vet said Tom would be fine on the dry C/D, but he still got cystitis, so we used wet food and Cystaid after that.

sicycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
S/D in the U.S. is the TEMPORARY diet to rid the cat of struvite crystals.
C/D is the long term maintenance diet to keep ph low/regular.

Zoey was on S/D for a month and she's been on C/D for over 2 years now with no problems. I will definately ask my vet about it though at her check up in March.

sicycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cloud_shade

I'm not sure that the food is the cause--it sounds like both kitties weren't eating? That can happen with any food, not just c/d. I wish you the best of luck with your kitty. Please let us know how he is doing.
I was going to say that too. If the kitties arent eating, that's one of the ways that liver problems develop.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ah right, didn't realise they were differnt in teh two countries.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ryanjay

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just got in from vet and Charlie was euthanized
The best answer the vet can give me without an autopsy is cancer that then caused his refusal to eat. Last night he ate a bit of tuna and I knew last night it was going to be a euth visit. This am he was ALOT worse-walking almost drunklike(taking few steps readjusting his gait...) so I called and told them it was going to be it. The food is MORE THEN LIKELY NOT IT. I am thinking of still buying a new bag(I have 10-15 lbs and its going to go bad before my benji eats it) Benji is the one who is eating it for the actual medical reason. I think it was jsut their time and it happened like this. Thank you guys for all the support and all your input-especially beandip(have to smile as I have a Mr. Beans) I think knowing others have had thier cats on it and nothing happens proves it was in him. Think after Teddy passed he just started showing symptoms ALOT faster. depression does bring out other illness and stuff tho right-like you catch a cold easier when you are already down. I took a day off new job today(5th day) I think I am ok but praying it won't count against me to much(It is more important I was at vet then there anyway but...) As far as the c/d and regural food-In the beginning they had a bowl of adult science diet and a bowl of the RX benji has always gone to his bowl and the other two started to eat the cd only so I started ordering the 20lb bag and then took away their regualr. I feel drained right now as still have to take care of the other 24 and just feel like sleeping. The vet asked if Benji was felv fiv tested and I said a year ago-negative for both. and a few others have all tested out negative...right now I am hoping it will settle down as I can't lose anymore...I know it goes with the having cats and having so many but praying it calms down...

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so sorry you lost Charlie. Perhaps you can write a tribute to him and post it in the Crossing The Bridge forum when you feel up to it.