food

maxy24

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
ok, there are probably already a lot on threads on this stuff, and I'm not very knowledgeable in the cat department (now dogs I know) but having two cats it's about time I start learning. So i'm gonna start with food, I know the food I'm feeding now is very low quality (Purina cat chow: indoor formula) and unfortunately the food is not my decision as my parents buy it. I did finally convince them to switch my dog from Pedigree to Natural Balance, and now that my dog has passed maybe I can get them to switch cat foods. The main problems will be price and availability. I would like to know high quality foods that are sold at a relatively low price. The food we feed now is $4.79 for a 3.5 pound bag, so something around there would be good, although maybe unrealistic, so just tell me any cheap ones you know. Now I know there are no quality dog foods at grocery stores and I'm gonna assume it's the same for cat food, but if I'm wrong please tell me. So I need food we can find at Petco or petsmart.

Now I need to know some things about wet vs. dry food. Why feed dry? and why feed wet? I would like to know both the positive and negative effects of both. Is there any danger in feeding only dry? I would prefer to feed dry but if there is danger in it I will reconsider. Thanks!

vanillasugar

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Good for you! Hopefully if you arm yourself with the right kind of information you'll be able to convince your parents to change the cat food!

You're right, Purina Cat Chow is VERY low quality. It's full of by-products, and grain fillers that cats can't gain nutrients from very easily. It will keep your cat alive, but will not keep them healthy.

There are several foods that are MUCH higher in quality and still reasonable in price. Felidae and Chicken Soup for the Cat Lovers Soul are the first that come to mind.

To try and help your parents understand a higher cost-per-bag, explain to them that bags will last a LOT longer of a higher quality food, since your cat doesn't need to eat nearly as much to gain the same amount of nutrients.

Now for wet vs. dry. Wet is MUCH better for your cat generally. Canned food is not only higher in moisture, but it's usually higher in protein, and lower in carbohydrates, and comes closer to mimicing the natural diet of a cat. Incorproating wet food into your cats diet would be VERY beneficial. Dry is very... well DRY by nature, and is likely to cause many health issues due to the lack of moisture, and the higher carbohydrates.

www.catinfo.org has lots of great info, and I have other links I can post when I'm not in such a rush!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
nutro max is not much more expensive and much higher quality avail at the large retailers and many small stores ( on sale 499-699 for 3.5 lb) reg 600-800

chicken soup is another good one and not too expensive at a feed store ... 6lb range from 799 to 1199

sportmix is very reasonable 699 for 18 lbs and is a low low premium found at pet stores and feed stores

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't advise you on brands of food as I don't know what's available where you are, but re the wet v dry debate - you're right, there are lots of threads about this (but it's ok to ask in a new thread!). Instead of repeating my opinion I'll refer you to this recent thread which contains a variety of viewpoints and some links you might be interested in reading re feline nutrition.

http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=114757

Ultimately the decision whether to feed wet or dry is up to you, but I prefer wet and would advise at least some wet. Lots of people feed wet a couple of times a day and leave some dry down during the day for snacking.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maxy24

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
ok so the main problems with dry seem to be to many carbs, not enough protein and very, very little water. My question is why are there no dry foods with less carbs and more protein, I mean that makes no sense. As far as water goes, why not mix it with the dry? I just did that for their dinner using the same amount of water as food and they ate and drank all of it. I also forgot to ask how much I should feed (dry food) for a 2 year old ten pound cat and a six month old (not sure of weight maybe 6 pounds) kitten. I've been feeding them both half a cup a day because that is what the bad says to do but I figure the kitten should be getting more.

vanillasugar

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Maxy24

ok so the main problems with dry seem to be to many carbs, not enough protein and very, very little water. My question is why are there no dry foods with less carbs and more protein, I mean that makes no sense. As far as water goes, why not mix it with the dry? I just did that for their dinner using the same amount of water as food and they ate and drank all of it. I also forgot to ask how much I should feed (dry food) for a 2 year old ten pound cat and a six month old (not sure of weight maybe 6 pounds) kitten. I've been feeding them both half a cup a day because that is what the bad says to do but I figure the kitten should be getting more.
There are some dry foods that are high protein/low carb, and they're even grain free! There are currently 2 on the market (I think) Innova EVO and Natures Variety makes one as well. Wellness is coming out with one called "Core" in the next few weeks. It's an excellent trend in cat food if you ask me

As for adding water to dry food, since most people leave dry food out all day (also not ideal) it's not reccomended to mix water with the food as it tends to increase the risk of bacterial growth.

steph555

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't give my cats wet food because it gives them diarrhea. That's probably selfish, but one of my cats has a very sensative stomach. He eats a little bit of my dogs food, and he's got blood in his stool. I took him to the vet and they said his stomach can't take change.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am on the fence about the low carb drys ... as they seem to cause more tummy issues than other drys .... The low carb wets get an A from me

jean44

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A couple of dry foods with more protein and less carbs are Wellness and Natural Balance. I'm mixing Wellness Super 5 Mix and Natural Balance Venison and Green Pea for the dry meal. The new Wellness CORE formula looks good. I'll try that when it becomes available here. They get wet at the evening meal. Their favorite for wet is Natural Balance, any flavor.

Good luck in finding healthy foods for your cats that your parents are willing to buy.

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Maxy24

Carbs are needed in dry food to hold the kibble together. Premium foods tend to have less carbs than the cheaper grocery store brands but they still have more carbs than a cat would eat naturally.

Dry food has a lot of bacteria on the surface and will go off quicker than wet food if left down with water added so you need to be careful about adding water to it. You'd also need to add a lot of water to get the water content of wet food.

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feed my cats the Nutro line of foods. They get dry as a staple but I mix in canned food once a week as well as the pouch food. Every so often I'll treat them to a little bit of tuna, turkey or chicken. Petsmart has a large selection of Nutro foods.

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wish PetSmart here would carry their Innova Evo line.
I have to travel to get it around here. And.. it justs makes it difficult.. especially if you're a bit of a scatterbrain like I am and forget to get in the cat food well in advance of when they need it...maybe I can get my store to start carrying it.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by CatsAreBetter

I wish PetSmart here would carry their Innova Evo line.
I have to travel to get it around here. And.. it justs makes it difficult.. especially if you're a bit of a scatterbrain like I am and forget to get in the cat food well in advance of when they need it...maybe I can get my store to start carrying it.
your best bet is a mom and pop store for ordering evo...or possiblely online

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, it's the mom and pop individually owned stores that I've found it at.. there doesn't seem to be a way to order it online directly from them, though.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by CatsAreBetter

Yes, it's the mom and pop individually owned stores that I've found it at.. there doesn't seem to be a way to order it online directly from them, though.
www.petfooddirect.com try here
i am not an online orderer