Service Dog not allowed in Walmart

breal76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When will people start listening to me?

WALMART IS EVIL!

I would never shop there. This story doesn't suprise me. They are just the worst of the worst.

sibohan2005

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In Canada Pit Bulls are restricted in Ontario at least. they have to be leashed and muzzled at all times.
I think discrimination against any breed is wrong I have met some very nice pit bulls and some very evil Poodles. I think it's how they are trained and treated that makes them a bad dog not just for bing born a certain breed. And a service dog is a service dog no matter the breed. Not all seeing eye dogs are flop ear laboradors.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
well here a similiar thing happened to a Companion animal ( it was a pom mix)

It is sad ..

I love pits ( dont trust them with cats for the most part ) but love them

wookie130

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I too hate it when pits get a bad rap...no breed specifically should ever be targeted in this manner. It's PEOPLE that are the problem.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Someone on another forum I post on recently mentioned he had two service dogs taken away because of BSL.

Pitbulls are bred for dog aggression, or originally were. It's a fact and a problem with most terrier breeds. Proper training and handling can control it. The breed is supposed to have completely no human aggression, sounds like a good canidate for a therapy or service dog if you think about it.

All of the pitbulls my parents had when I was growing up were 100% cat friendly, too friendly sometimes (kitties do not like slobber baths) and were allowed to be home alone with them.

To be honest, german shepards make me nervous around cats. I had the unfortunate luck of watching one kill a cat.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This from a company that touts thier supposed diversity....yeah right! I work with an employment agency that assists disabled individuals finding jobs. We have 3 walmarts in our area. One has no problem making accommodations for people. The other 2, well...don't. I had a student who was in the middle of a discrimination lawsuit with them. I'd say they will settle or she will win. The dum dums wrote her a letter saying something that clearly violates ADA laws. Even our 'good walmart' had to be reminded about some laws once though. But to their credit, it was basically a brilliant idea/order passed down from the higher-ups.

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i smell a lawsuit. service animals are service animals they dont get to be one over night. reguardless of breed.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

To be honest, german shepards make me nervous around cats. I had the unfortunate luck of watching one kill a cat.
I have an 11 year old Wolf/ GermanShepherd Dog mix. I am sorry you watched one german shepherd be aggressive towards another animal- but please do not think they are all "bad" like many people tend to do with sweet little pitties.
My Ginger is a WONDERFUL girl. She's 1/2 wolf- the shelter was about to euthanize her and her littermates the day i went in and adopted her simply because of what she was mixed with and that she's a hybrid. It's infuriating! It completely depends on genetics and training as to how an animal will be- No one breed is "bad" or worse than the next- you have to look at the individual animal, their background, and if they recieved proper training along with many other factors. I couldn't have been blessed with a better dog than her- and just to add- she is EXCEPTIONAL around my foster kittens, my cats, and my rabbit. She is very gentle- as are many pit bulls. It is sad that such wonderful dogs recieve such a bad wrap because of the way a few of them are mistreated and act out as a result. I think wal-mart has definitely gone downhill. Everytime i go in there i am greeted with nothing but rude employees- at more than one location
It's gotten to the point that i prefer to go elsewhere to do my shopping unless i just absolutely have to make a walmart run. I am very upset at how they treated that person and their service dog as well as others. Those animals serve a very important need for our loved ones with special needs- they are highly trained and only the best ones go on to be qualified as service dogs. I sincerly hope reprucussions follow Walmart as a result of what they did.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

I have an 11 year old Wolf/ GermanShepherd Dog mix. I am sorry you watched one german shepherd be aggressive towards another animal- but please do not think they are all "bad" like many people tend to do with sweet little pitties.
I don't think they all are, but they are certainly a dog breed that needs to be controlled, not allowed to run at all. People tend to see them as noble police dogs and such, not realizing the trouble they can cause when loose. Meaning the town police and animal control there didn't care, yet if our dogs were off the leash for a moment we would get in trouble, even for a 3 month old puppy.
Sad thing about it was the cat belonged to my then 10 year old step sister (who saw the dog attack the cat too), the dog was a friend of her's that the parents knew was a cat killer, dog aggressive, and slightly human aggressive, but still allowed it to run.

That said... I'm still convinced that chihuahuas are pure evil (joking).

Does your state or town/city not have any laws reguarding hybrids?

I hope that walmart gets dragged over the coals, hopefully PETA won't be able to get involved.

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sibohan2005

In Canada Pit Bulls are restricted in Ontario at least. they have to be leashed and muzzled at all times.
I think discrimination against any breed is wrong I have met some very nice pit bulls and some very evil Poodles. I think it's how they are trained and treated that makes them a bad dog not just for bing born a certain breed. And a service dog is a service dog no matter the breed. Not all seeing eye dogs are flop ear laboradors.
Great post, I have seen some very mean little dogs myself.

naturestee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LSULOVER

Great post, I have seen some very mean little dogs myself.
Me too. The only dog that has ever bitten me was a toy poodle, and when I delivered newspapers as a kid I had far more problems with toy breeds than with the GSDs, hunting breeds, and pit mixes together.

I hope Walmart catches a lot of flak for this. Just because a dog isn't a yellow lab or GSD doesn't mean it can't be a gentle, perfectly trained service dog.

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ScamperFarms

i smell a lawsuit. service animals are service animals they dont get to be one over night. reguardless of breed.
well said! I really hate walmart and I am so sick of BSL!!
I love pit bulls, they are great dogs and such loyal companions and I hope to have one someday, rescued of course.
they all have a goofy personality.
all of the pit bulls I have met are sweet and I met most of them through the shelter where I volunteer.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

I don't think they all are, but they are certainly a dog breed that needs to be controlled, not allowed to run at all. People tend to see them as noble police dogs and such, not realizing the trouble they can cause when loose. Meaning the town police and animal control there didn't care, yet if our dogs were off the leash for a moment we would get in trouble, even for a 3 month old puppy.
Sad thing about it was the cat belonged to my then 10 year old step sister (who saw the dog attack the cat too), the dog was a friend of her's that the parents knew was a cat killer, dog aggressive, and slightly human aggressive, but still allowed it to run.

That said... I'm still convinced that chihuahuas are pure evil (joking).

Does your state or town/city not have any laws reguarding hybrids?

I hope that walmart gets dragged over the coals, hopefully PETA won't be able to get involved.
That is good
And i do agree- they do need proper training, socialization, and they need to know that their owners are the "alphas" at all times and that they are in control. ALL of my dogs are highly trained. I work very very hard with them. That being said- they are also ALL spayed/neutered, all indoors only, and all leashed trained. I absolutely do not let them off a leash when i walk them. They are all properly id'd as well just in case and up to date on shots. / I live in Memphis, TN (as far as hybrids go- i'm not sure what the rules are to an extent.) The shelter was about to euthanize Ginger and her littermates the day we went in and just happened to see them simply because they were 1/2 wolf. We had to show proof after we adopted her that she was indoors only/ vaccinated/ and things like that and we also had to have our vet sign papers (i was 10 at the time i don't remember what they were for.
) She's on the smaller side (her mom was pure wolf and her dad was a germanshepherd /elkhound mix) so she's not massive or anything- but could definitely do damage had she not been raised/trained right. We ALWAYS handle our dogs knowing what they are capable of and work very hard to give them the best possible home. I don't recall much more about the policies towards hybrids as far as memphis goes- nobody has said anything else to us since we adopted her./ She goes to the vet 2-3 times a month now (she's not doing so well health wise
). / And I DEFINITELY think temperment and things of that nature depend on the indivdual animal- you can't just count an entire breed/species as bad just because of a bad experience with one- that being said- for me personally- i had bad experiences in my past with our old chichuah, rascale, who we took in when my sister and her family moved a few years back. We had him for several years and tried everything we could to socialize and train him- he was even seen by vets and other handlers- he was just soooooo mean and aggressive we had no choice but to try and rehome him- he attempted to attack my little niece one day and that was the last straw- he had always tried to bite and snap at us no matter how nice we were to him. We finally were able to rehome him with retired chichuah breeders (all of their dogs were neutered/spayed as was rascle). Before we had him- when we were little, we had a french toy poodle named jacque- he was my sister's dog- we had him for 10 years- he was an absolute deamon- he bit through my finger at one point...and one time bit all the way through my mom's ankle. Yet she refused to do anything about it- that's what makes me mad- she let him for for years biting and snapping around us children. When he hit 10 he finally just got uncontrolable - his kidneys stoped functioning and he just got more and more aggressive- he was to the point that we couldn't rehome him or anything. He bit my mom one last time very very badly and that was it- we decided to have him humanely euthanized. So yes- although i was not fond of those two dogs in particular- we tried all we could for them. Just because i had a bad experince with those two does not make me hate all poodles/ chichuah's or small dogs simply because of them. I understand that each dogs is different and you can't catergorize them all as bad. But i definitely understand where you're comming from and how one or two bad experiences can make you leary. For me- i have had better experiences with large dogs- my wolf mix ginger is much more sweet and kind than our old poodle and chichuah ever were- and she has NEVER snapped or bit us ever. Neithor has Fosters (our aussie/collie mix) or our new dog Digger (name soon to be changed
-he's a carolina dog/ chow chow mix). For me personally, i try to look at the individual dog- there are plenty of sweet ones out there and plenty of aggressive ones- you just have to look at the individual animal
(i just wanted to add also- i do like little dogs too even though i only have big ones. my sister has a chinese crested that is as sweet as can be- so those two bad experiences i had with our old dogs didn't make me turned off to all little ones
)

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wal-Mart is the walking evil. But given the way they treat their employees, which is atrocious, the human rights violations they've been convicted of, and the basic laws all across the board that they ignore and violate.. in their defense.. you can't really expect them to abide by a basic one like "service dogs are permitted". It's wrong, yes. But, they do a lot of wrong things..and most people just let them do it....so they get away with it to do it again.

That being said, it is a lawsuit. At least.. it should be. I guess it depends on what state you're in, and what the laws are in that state. Service dogs should be permitted, however.. if you're in a state that a company can simply refuse you access to their store.. for no reason at all, and they didn't specify a reason, then you might not have one.

Although it sounds like there was a reason stated. It sounds like they said you can't bring this dog in because it's a pit bull.. regardless of the fact that it's a service dog. If that's the case, I would definitely pursue this. What Wal-Mart gets away with.. sets the stage for a lot of other companies. I know that sounds pessimistic, but honestly.. Wal-Mart is one of the biggest corporations and their lawsuits set precedence.

Anyway, if you need help finding out the laws in your state, let me know and I'll help you find them.

msktty89

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wal*Mart is trying to take over the world.

I have heard a lot of bad things about pitbulls lately, but I've known some nice pitbulls, so never really listened to the negative comments. If your dog is a service dog then it is CLEARLY "stable" and there's nothing wrong with it being around children.

I smell a lawsuit.

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Heh, I've heard bad things about Pitbulls but I've heard worse things about Wal-Mart, and nobody bans them... go figure.