Drama with Dushka today

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This morning I noticed that Dushka was not eating normally but using her paw to transfer each morsel to her mouth, and I wondered what had set her off on that behaviour. She seemed to eat enough, though it took her a long time. Then later she was on my lap when she began pawing at her mouth really frantically, so much so that at one point I had to release a claw that got stuck and was causing her to growl and shake her head, which of course made it worse. She growled when I touched her, and even tried to scratch me (never has she done that in 4 years) but eventually I managed to scruff her and open her mouth, and I saw immediately what the trouble was - a thin sliver of plastic, maybe 3/4 inch long, and very sharp, was wedged between two lower teeth and sticking in her gum. It must have been excruciatingly painful. I got it out easily and my snarling, growling ball of fur just went limp and curled up, relaxed, to sleep on my lap for three hours. She is usually the most laid back of cats - it must have really hurt her. Tonight at supper she started off using her paw but ate from the floor if she dropped a piece, then gradually began to eat normally. I think she didn't trust the bowl not to hurt her at first.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh poor Dushka! I'm glad you found out what it was, I can only imagine how painful that must've been for her.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Poor thing. It's a good thing you noticed she was having trouble, and checked out her mouth. I wonder where it came from?

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ouch! Poor thing. I am glad it was something that was easily remedied! Where did it come from? I wonder.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope she is feeling better!!! We have to watch everything that they get into.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor baby...glad you found it. I hate to bring this up, but I have to...any chance she swallowed a different piece of this plastic?

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Poor sweet Dushka!!
I'm glad you found the trouble and were able to help her. It must have been very painful, poor darling.

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my Jenny.......so glad you noticed.........how painful for the little sweetie!

halfpint

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well that's good that you were able to get it out because it could have gotten way in that gum, or it could have been swallowed, the that could have really been bad. Glad she's Ok Jenny

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know what it was but it looked like a sliver of that rigid transparernt packaging. There were guys in the house while I was away, working on the bathroom, and although they cleared up after themselves they may have left something. And I have been watching her for any signs of trouble in case she has swallowed anything, but she ate and pooped OK this morning. Dushka is my sensible cat, she never gets into trouble, so I am surprised that she picked up anything like that, unless it fell into the bowl or something. But I will monitor her.

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jennyranson

Dushka is my sensible cat, she never gets into trouble, so I am surprised that she picked up anything like that, unless it fell into the bowl or something. But I will monitor her.
Might explain why she was scared of her bowl, too.

Poor little girl, so glad you figured it out fast!